NHL Censorship on Erik Karlsson and Sidney Crosby in handshake line

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
They censored it for the exact same reason myself and most other hockey fans love that clip so much: it's an excellent example of the warrior ethos in hockey. These are two players at the top of their class, both of whom play through injuries that would sideline players in almost every other professional sport. That's an aspect of the game that hockey fans and players can appreciate but probably not an aspect the league wants to emphasize at this particular moment.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I'd say the NHL can't be this stupid buuuuut what if they censored it to "protect" crosby as if people didn't know he was already not 100%?

"hope you're healthy" obviously implies injury i guess they edited that out in some **** effort to think that people won't target him if they didn't hear that?

Idk. it doesn't make sense any way you spin it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Another possibility is that they edited it out so people wouldn't speculate that Crosby was dealing with issues regarding his round 2 collision with Niskanen, but editing it out just looks like the NHL is hiding something. The comment wouldn't have been "I know you're hurt and I hope you get healthy", it would have been "I hope you're not dealing with any sort of injury that I was dealing with". If they didn't hear Karlsson say anything, no one would have thought anything, but if they would have heard "I hope your healthy", maybe they would have thought he was still hurt from that concussion. What's ironic is that them editing it out makes people go back to the Niskanen collision and speculate that he's hurt from that and the NHL is just covering it up.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
If you can't take heat get out of the kitchen

The Sens did what they had to do to win period

Why should Crosby have a different treatment than any other players?

And please stop crying

The reason players don't go after other teams star players is because the other team can and will respond the same way.

The Pens could just as easily started slashing where Karlsson is injured, but they didn't. Any other team like CBJ or Ducks would have responded. The Sens took advantage of the Pens and everyone knows it.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I never had an opinion on Karlsson one way or the other (as far as rooting for him goes), but I'm a fan now. Hard not to like the guy, and he's great. The more I see, the more I like.

I missed this and want to see it. :laugh:

EDIT: Found it.

LET ME HEAR YOU!!!

That flag must have made it around the lower bowl 5-6 times during the anthem.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The reason players don't go after other teams star players is because the other team can and will respond the same way.

The Pens could just as easily started slashing where Karlsson is injured, but they didn't. Any other team like CBJ or Ducks would have responded. The Sens took advantage of the Pens and everyone knows it.

Are you implying the Pens didn't cross-check and aggressively hit Karlsson? Or that nobody hit MacArthur high?

The physical play against Crosby is being way overblown. The still of Methot on top of Crosby looked bad, but the play was just Methot keeping Crosby boxed out, Crosby spun quickly to try rolling off of him, and both going to the ice while Methot tried to keep him out.

Cullen was lying on top of Turris after every Penguins-zone face off for an easy 10-count.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
The fact that they censored it out just made it more noticeable and more discussed. Sheesh. Good going, NHL. :shakehead

It was a great display of sportsmanship.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I don't get the point of this because Karlsson was obviously being sincere and not a jerk. It's also no secret that Crosby has an extensive history with injuries?

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Karlsson seems like a really cool dude. he went up a few notches for me during what can only be described as the worst national anthem ever. it was an opera singer or something... players on both sides were fighting laughter during both anthems. at some point karlsson 'broke'. guy was shaking from uncontrollable laughter. I deemed him cool at that point.

Damn I missed that lol

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
the excuses people are making for the nhl to randomly edit the one line that alludes to his concussions for 'flow of the conversation' is downright hilarious. My god people.

I love myself a good conspiracy but come on. That exchange was INCREDIBLY clunky and would be a terribly anticlimactic way to end the video.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That was a rather inelegant censor job by the NHL, so you know it's deliberate.

My guess is they censored it because Karlsson saying to Sid "I hope you're healthy" could easily be interpreted that he's referring to Crosby's last concussion. The implication being that Crosby might be playing while having concussion symptoms.

It smells like a team of lawyers got together and the league redacted that line. I can't imagine any other reason why they'd go through the trouble of removing something so harmless.

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
That was a rather inelegant censor job by the NHL, so you know it's deliberate.

My guess is they censored it because Karlsson saying to Sid "I hope you're healthy" could easily be interpreted that he's referring to Crosby's last concussion. The implication being that Crosby might be playing while having concussion symptoms.

It smells like a team of lawyers got together and the league redacted that line. I can't imagine any other reason why they'd go through the trouble of removing something so harmless.

i agree with this, it was for legal reasons

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Could be they censored this because Crosby is the poster-boy of the Nhl and someone who played whit multiple fractures in his foot (Karlsson) wished him good health and he couldnt manage to ask or wish speedy recovery for Karlsson too in return. Crosby come across as self centered and ego, thats why they censored it probably

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Could be they censored this because Crosby is the poster-boy of the Nhl and someone who played whit multiple fractures in his foot (Karlsson) wished him good health and he couldnt manage to ask or wish speedy recovery for Karlsson too in return. Crosby come across as self centered and ego, thats why they censored it probably

Yeah, I'm gonna guess that probably wasn't the reason.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Yup like others I think the NHL cut that line because it refers to Crosby's concussion status, which the lawyers want to keep out of the public discussion. They have not heard of the Streisand Effect I guess.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I think it is more simple than that. They both just played a seven game series that was hard hitting and targeted both captains. EK is saying "hope you are not too banged up.... go get'em" in a positive manner.

I hope no one starts turning this in to EK being anything other than genuinely congratulatory.

absolutely not. EK is a great player, and a great human being. I truely hope he gets to raise the cup someday (just not at my team's expense) ;)

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
LET ME HEAR YOU!!!

That flag must have made it around the lower bowl 5-6 times during the anthem.

they sent it out to be dry cleaned after the first verse and it was back for the finale :laugh:

HF should make a poll for worst anthem ever this is up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad