NHL Censorship on Erik Karlsson and Sidney Crosby in handshake line

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
After the way the Sens treated Sid that whole series it's possible that EK was just backdoor apologizing.... the league is starting to take flak for how it is treating its stars again... EK and Sid included.

Its possible this was trying to deflect the growing attention after game six...

Let me say this, if the pens, who have been horrible at letting guys play before they were seemingly really ready in the past let Sid come back early then this group of doctors needs fired like the last set

If the Sens know he is hurt from the previous headshots and still did everything they did to him in game six then that is just as disgusting.....

Looking into this far too much.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe they thought it implies that Karlsson knows Sid is playing through concussion symptoms, and that looks bad on the NHL?

I'm not even saying that's true (Crosby playing through Symptoms) just that it's the only reason I could think the NHL would censor that line.

That was my thought. Could just be an editing thing - keeping it snappy, ending on the best line - but could also be trying to avoid that sort of thing.

And with his chivalry and excellent van Dyke beard, Karlsson should star in swashbuckler films during the off-season. :laugh:

I would totally watch those.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Maybe they thought it implies that Karlsson knows Sid is playing through concussion symptoms, and that looks bad on the NHL?

I'm not even saying that's true (Crosby playing through Symptoms) just that it's the only reason I could think the NHL would censor that line.

Bingo !!

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Could just be an editing thing - keeping it snappy, ending on the best line.

That is exactly what I would take from it.

If Karlsson had said
"Go get another one, now I'm eating a steak tonight" I'm sure the NHL would cut out the steak comment. I doubt it's because they are secret vegetarians.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I never had an opinion on Karlsson one way or the other (as far as rooting for him goes), but I'm a fan now. Hard not to like the guy, and he's great. The more I see, the more I like.

Karlsson seems like a really cool dude. he went up a few notches for me during what can only be described as the worst national anthem ever. it was an opera singer or something... players on both sides were fighting laughter during both anthems. at some point karlsson 'broke'. guy was shaking from uncontrollable laughter. I deemed him cool at that point.

I missed this and want to see it. :laugh:

EDIT: Found it.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Karlsson is my favorite player in the NHL at the moment. Just cant decideif I want a home or away jersey.

Wait until he hits free agency.

Why would you want that ugly senator's jersey?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I never had an opinion on Karlsson one way or the other (as far as rooting for him goes), but I'm a fan now. Hard not to like the guy, and he's great. The more I see, the more I like.

I missed this and want to see it. :laugh:

EDIT: Found it.

oh wow. that was terrible :laugh: National anthems should not be sung in an opera style again.....at least not our NA ones ha.

great reactions by some of the players

Last edited:

Apr 9, 2009
USA
oh wow. that was terrible :laugh: National anthems should not be sung in an opera style again.....at least not out NA ones ha.

great reactions by some of the players

They both seemed like the longest versions of the songs of all time.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Who cares?

People take what is said in the media and on other sites way too serious.

All that needs recognized is two great Captains coming together in the handshake line and expressing heart felt emotions.

Karlsson is an exceptional human being.

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
Agreed....no big deal-why censor? What else has been presented to public that was censored for marketing reasons.

And as much as Karlsson as I could care less about the whole sound byte makes him look good. He comes off like a class act the more you hear.

Perhaps it is just to make the discussion in the ad easier to understand... Their exchange of words is quite fast paced and with the ad not including that much of talk a barrage of sudden words can be overwhelming. I atleast had to listen the original twice to properly process the words.

Why NHL should sacrifice the clarity of the message if they might as well clear it up from non-related "noice"? The point of the vid is to show Pittsburgh going to finals and have a shot in the cup. Not to promote sportsmanship between captains.

Just a video editing thing, not a conspiracy. Come on people...

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
the excuses people are making for the nhl to randomly edit the one line that alludes to his concussions for 'flow of the conversation' is downright hilarious. My god people.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Karlsson is my favorite player in the NHL at the moment. Just cant decideif I want a home or away jersey.

Get the giant O jersey. But who gets away jerseys who wants a white Jersey unless you need it for pickup hockey

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
After the way the Sens treated Sid that whole series it's possible that EK was just backdoor apologizing.... the league is starting to take flak for how it is treating its stars again... EK and Sid included.

Its possible this was trying to deflect the growing attention after game six...

Let me say this, if the pens, who have been horrible at letting guys play before they were seemingly really ready in the past let Sid come back early then this group of doctors needs fired like the last set

If the Sens know he is hurt from the previous headshots and still did everything they did to him in game six then that is just as disgusting.....

If you can't take heat get out of the kitchen

The Sens did what they had to do to win period

Why should Crosby have a different treatment than any other players?

And please stop crying

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I didn't watch the clip but I'm pretty sure "hope your healthy" is just an old farewell. It's like saying I hope you are doing well or good luck or stay safe. What purpose the NHL has for editing it I have no idea but it's just Karlsson wishing him the best.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's scary how the media can edit things for effect. I think itt important to keep the real exchange real, otherwise they are giving us fans unreal sound bytes. It's slanted for promotion

media has been effing things up around the globe for years now. Get with the program bro

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
"I hope you're healthy" with a friendly tap IS a great way to end that handshake. EK just being aware that there's more than hockey in life. And it shows great sportsmanship between the two guys. They'll go hard after each other, but when it's over, it's over.

Great hockey moment right there. But it seems the NHL doesn't like it. Maybe it's just the NHL being dumb (wouldn't be the first time), maybe they didn't like the reference to Crosby's health.

Hard to say which one it is with so little information. But clearly a PR blunder, IMO. Especially as the original was and is still available. I mean, it's 2017. You don't go out there editing clips and hoping no one will notice.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Probably because the little minute and a half piece would be over 2 hours long with all those clips fully played with no editing.

That might be why they were all "censored"

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
All clip in ads like that are edited, they all begins at a choosen point by the editor and ended at a certain point that someone decided, it could be that the wanted part of the exchange was "Go get an other one" and whatever the next line would have been would have been cut.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Probably because the little minute and a half piece would be over 2 hours long with all those clips fully played with no editing.

That might be why they were all "censored"

The clip wouldn't have been any longer or shorter had they not edited that part out. Did you even watch it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad