NHL Censorship on Erik Karlsson and Sidney Crosby in handshake line

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Not sure why they went out of their way to censor that.

Also would the Swedish to English translation of "hope you're healthy" be the same "I hope you feel better"?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Trying to make them seem like they don't like each other? Really all I can think of.

Always liked Karlsson.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
Maybe they thought it implies that Karlsson knows Sid is playing through concussion symptoms, and that looks bad on the NHL?

I'm not even saying that's true (Crosby playing through Symptoms) just that it's the only reason I could think the NHL would censor that line.

SongforaFriend

Apr 20, 2012
Ontario
Maybe they thought it implies that Karlsson knows Sid is playing through concussion symptoms, and that looks bad on the NHL?

I'm not even saying that's true (Crosby playing through Symptoms) just that it's the only reason I could think the NHL would censor that line.
My thoughts as well, especially with the concussion lawsuit. Or just injuries in general. Maybe my interpretation is wrong but the way Karlsson says it is like the culture among the players is to play hurt. possibly because the NHL (implicitly or explicitly) encourages it. That would make the NHL look completely irresponsible and just add fuel to the lawsuit's fire.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Here's another take on it, which few will like because there's no nefarious intent implied:

That piece is a story. No highlights or random live audio. It's already been edited to help tell this story. My guess is the editors like the exchange between the players without the 'healthy' comment. If one was scripting it, that line would be clunky, whereas the edited line is a nice clean coda.

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
Karlsson seems like a really cool dude. he went up a few notches for me during what can only be described as the worst national anthem ever. it was an opera singer or something... players on both sides were fighting laughter during both anthems. at some point karlsson 'broke'. guy was shaking from uncontrollable laughter. I deemed him cool at that point.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Karlsson seems like a really cool dude. he went up a few notches for me during what can only be described as the worst national anthem ever. it was an opera singer or something... players on both sides were fighting laughter during both anthems. at some point karlsson 'broke'. guy was shaking from uncontrollable laughter. I deemed him cool at that point.

That was great, even Robo-Sid was on the edge of cracking up.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Here's another take on it, which few will like because there's no nefarious intent implied:

That piece is a story. No highlights or random live audio. It's already been edited to help tell this story. My guess is the editors like the exchange between the players without the 'healthy' comment. If one was scripting it, that line would be clunky, whereas the edited line is a nice clean coda.

I would like to believe this, but I have a hard time trusting any move the NHL makes without assuming they are trying to save face or promote the league in some manner. They are schemers and they are a business - they don't do anything on accident.

"Hope you're healthy" implies that he's either knowingly playing hurt or assumed to be playing hurt. Both of those could hurt the promotion of the league (watching injuried players play is less exciting than watching healthy ones). Could also show the league turning it's focus away from the fact that they know players play hurt. That said, censoring it will probably bring more focus on the statement than if they just let it be. Kind of shortsighted.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I would like to believe this, but I have a hard time trusting any move the NHL makes without assuming they are trying to save face or promote the league in some manner. They are schemers and they are a business - they don't do anything on accident.

"Hope you're healthy" implies that he's either knowingly playing hurt or assumed to be playing hurt. Both of those could hurt the promotion of the league (watching injured players play is less exciting than watching healthy ones). Could also show the league turning it's focus away from the fact that they know players play hurt. That said, censoring it will probably bring more focus on the statement than if they just let it be. Kind of shortsighted.

I think it is more simple than that. They both just played a seven game series that was hard hitting and targeted both captains. EK is saying "hope you are not too banged up.... go get'em" in a positive manner.

I hope no one starts turning this in to EK being anything other than genuinely congratulatory.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The NHL probably just don't it brought up again how they dropped the ball on the Niskanen crosscheck.

And with his chivalry and excellent van Dyke beard, Karlsson should star in swashbuckler films during the off-season. :laugh:

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I think it is more simple than that. They both just played a seven game series that was hard hitting and targeted both captains. EK is saying "hope you are not too banged up.... go get'em" in a positive manner.

I hope no one starts turning this in to EK being anything other than genuinely congratulatory.

You're the only one to mention anything like that. I think as time goes on, more and more people are realizing what a class act EK is.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It could be something as innocent as saying he hopes that Crosby doesn't have a broken bone he's playing through or another injury. I understand why people are jumping to the concussion idea, but he could have meant any sort of injury Sid could have been playing through. I didn't see it as anything but a "hope you're well" comment.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
After the way the Sens treated Sid that whole series it's possible that EK was just backdoor apologizing.... the league is starting to take flak for how it is treating its stars again... EK and Sid included.

Its possible this was trying to deflect the growing attention after game six...

Let me say this, if the pens, who have been horrible at letting guys play before they were seemingly really ready in the past let Sid come back early then this group of doctors needs fired like the last set

If the Sens know he is hurt from the previous headshots and still did everything they did to him in game six then that is just as disgusting.....

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Wow... So blown out of proportion.

He tells him to go win another cup and hopes that he's playing at 100% to do so.

Jeez...:shakehead

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
So why is the NHL censoring it if it's no big deal?

Agreed....no big deal-why censor? What else has been presented to public that was censored for marketing reasons.

And as much as Karlsson as I could care less about the whole sound byte makes him look good. He comes off like a class act the more you hear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad