GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FRENZY - JULY 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I'm really hoping for Ferland.

He can play left or right wing, he can pass, steals pucks, wins battles, great net front presence... Was only 26 last year, put up back to back 40 point seasons despite an unusually low shooting pct. He has really strong possession metrics. Kills penalties, plays on the power play, has good speed, throws game changing hits and he'd feed a guy like Perron his lunch for getting in Rask's face.
Hell YES!:thumbu::yo:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I have a bad feeling about today for the Bruins.

I think they're going to get royally screwed by the stupidity of other GMs taking on bad contracts to allow their competition to get better. We're already seeing it with the Leafs & Habs freeing up space. Sweeney can do everything right today & still come out behind.

I don't understand teams giving a helping hand to these team's and their terrible contracts. That Zaitsev + Brown deal was horrid for Ottawa. How do you not walk away with a pick?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Let's say they sign Carlo to a bridge deal, would you have a problem trading Carlo for Point straight up. Picks may work out to be the same depending on contract size for Carlo.

Point is your number 1 center starting when Bergeron retires or sooner, a two way, aggressive, offensive force who is still relatively young. Carlo is a very good second pair D who has shown no offensive upside yet and may not.

Lock up MacAvoy, Pastrnak is locked up, who do you worry about after that being offer sheeted? DeBrusk. I move him for Point any day and I like DeBrusk.

Moot point they don't have the money and unless they move Backes and LTIR Moore and Miller the money won't be there.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'm really hoping for Ferland.

He can play left or right wing, he can pass, steals pucks, wins battles, great net front presence... Was only 26 last year, put up back to back 40 point seasons despite an unusually low shooting pct. He has really strong possession metrics. Kills penalties, plays on the power play, has good speed, throws game changing hits and he'd feed a guy like Perron his lunch for getting in Rask's face.

I go back and forth on Ferland and right now he's a 'no' for me. People like bringing up the Beleskey and Backes deals. I know he doesn't have a lot of miles on the tire, but depending on the term and AAV, you're potentially locking into another bad deal for a player who may break down due to style.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I like Ferland for 3 mill.

We will not be paying Ferland 3 mill to play in Boston.....giventhe competition for his services it will be double that.

Most of the contracts rumored to be hand-shake deals for noon today are way too rich for my taste.

Reactions: Strafer and TCB

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Ferland was propped up last year partially by his time with Aho. Ferland is a 3rd wheel, won't create anything on his own, needs to play with good players if you expect him to produce anything. Same thing in Calgary. High production due to his time riding with Monahan and Gaudreau.

Are we signing Ferland to play him on the top line?
Isn't Krejci a "good player?" Aren't Marchand and Bergeron "good players?" He would thrive here. He would even kick a$$ with Coyle.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Never change Toronto. Earlier I suggested their plan was to ice 15 forward, 1 goalie, and 5 D. Guess I''ll revise:

16 forwards (5 lines plus an extra guy in case linesmen are not paying attention to line changes)
3 defense
1 goalie

I exaggerate of course, but Good Lord Toronto --- there are two ends of the ice, you know???????

Reactions: Strafer

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Concerned our RFA's aren't locked up yet.... wonder if any offer sheets will get extended today.

Not expecting too much from the Bs.... but if they do something it has to be a top 9 F you'd assume. We've got the 4th line covered and then some.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Sweeney must be keeping his UFA strategy to himself because there are no Bruins rumors in the usual hockey gossip sites.
Ever since Sweeney took over the rumors and leaks have stopped.

If anyone leaks anything it is being done so with permission.

Chiarelli was Haggs' source for quite some time.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That's true, but the point is . . . What goes around comes around.

We've heard this often, but I can't think of a single time when there was relatively immediate retaliation.

To me, if a team loses a guy to an offer sheet, they're in a lousy spot cap-wise to retaliate anyway and it usually takes a few years to get in a better cap position. By then a lot usually changes and it's not a priority anymore.

Reactions: Alicat

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Dubas showing what's possible when you're not a complete dumbass surrounded by old school Yes Men.

Hope Sweeney's got something clever up his sleeve and isn't just going to dump Backes so he can sign some contract he'll be trying to dump in another 3 years.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I go back and forth on Ferland and right now he's a 'no' for me. People like bringing up the Beleskey and Backes deals. I know he doesn't have a lot of miles on the tire, but depending on the term and AAV, you're potentially locking into another bad deal for a player who may break down due to style.
the problem with Backes and Beleskey was the term. Ferland under 5 million & under 5 years would be worth the roll of the dice IMO. He has a better resume than Beleskey did when he signed here & is younger than Backes was. It's always a gamble with these types of players, but it's an element teams need so you make the move as long as you can minimize the damage in terms of cap hit & term. That said, if the market drives him up over 5 million or some team is offering him 5+ years then you walk away for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad