GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Id rather skew sinden then skew chiarelli. Chychrun signed long term for 4.8. He misses 20-30 games a year just like mcavoy. He plays 20 minutes a night vs mcavoy 22. He put up 20 points last year vs mcavoys 28. Mcavoy is worth more no doubt. Give him 100,000 per every point...800,000. Give him another 600,000 for the 2 extra minutes a night which equates to 7 more games over 82 roughly or 11%. 11% of 4.8 +4.8 is like 500,000. So bonus 100,000. 1.4+4.8 is 6.2. Mcavoy if he wants to take a home town discount (assuming that’s what chrychun did) would sign 5x6.2m. I’m okay with that. If he wants 6.5 I’d even do that. If he wants more then we are now talking about paying a player on a long term deal money he has not yet earned when we don’t have to. What player has Boston signed to a long term extension out of RFA they didn’t give the bruins at least a fair deal? Pastrnak left money, Marchand left money, Krug left money initially. I’m not even asking mcavoy to leave money. I’m willing to pay him every penny he’s earned. All 6.2 million. If he wants to play hardball, then I play right back. 1x3.5 or sit.
and that, my friend is why you (and all of us here) are online contributing to an opinions board and not in the executive offices of the Boston Bruins

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
He could ask and probably is asking for it. He might also be believing his own hype that he's the next Ray Bourque. He has yet to play a full season (63 and 54 games). I don't think it is too much for the Bruins to acknowledge he is a good player who could be great, but he needs to show something more to get that big money big term deal. Just my opinion of course and I am no expert.

Bruins have ammo, thats for sure. But McAvoy asking for big money is not absurd. To me, he has more leverage than someone like, Marner for instance.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Bruins have ammo, thats for sure. But McAvoy asking for big money is not absurd. To me, he has more leverage than someone like, Marner for instance.

Okay, let me clarify one thing- when I mean potential, I mean McAvoy potential in that he has already achieved a certain level where if he never improved further, he would still be a very good player. He isn't Drew Doughty, prime Weber, EK yet. People here expect him to get there, a lot of the hockey world expects him to get there. The problem is if you are the Bruins, do you pay him for what he might be a couple years? Or do you pay him for what he's done so far? Not lowballing the guy, but if you gave him 2 years at 5mil as a bridge, he gets paid nicely and the opportunity to prove he is worth that next level of contract- the 8X9 or whatever it is. If he gets there, great. If he doesn't, then you aren't on the hook with another monster contract you can't move where you are still getting some good value from the player but not what you are paying for. It's a cap world.

Anyway, I don't want it sound like I don't rate McAvoy because I do and I *think* he will be that top tier level d-man in the near future, but I definitely understand the Bruins point of view of not wanting to commit to it just yet. I also think if Charlie and his agent are asking for that big payday then they are ahead of themselves just bit here.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Okay, let me clarify one thing- when I mean potential, I mean McAvoy potential in that he has already achieved a certain level where if he never improved further, he would still be a very good player. He isn't Drew Doughty, prime Weber, EK yet. People here expect him to get there, a lot of the hockey world expects him to get there. The problem is if you are the Bruins, do you pay him for what he might be a couple years? Or do you pay him for what he's done so far? Not lowballing the guy, but if you gave him 2 years at 5mil as a bridge, he gets paid nicely and the opportunity to prove he is worth that next level of contract- the 8X9 or whatever it is. If he gets there, great. If he doesn't, then you aren't on the hook with another monster contract you can't move where you are still getting some good value from the player but not what you are paying for. It's a cap world.

Anyway, I don't want it sound like I don't rate McAvoy because I do and I *think* he will be that top tier level d-man in the near future, but I definitely understand the Bruins point of view of not wanting to commit to it just yet. I also think if Charlie and his agent are asking for that big payday then they are ahead of themselves just bit here.

I see what your getting at. He may never get better than he currently is, which is a risk for any player. But his agent is not going to touch that contingency. He will draw McAvoy as a future Norris winner and negotiate from that base. Realsim goes out the window when an agents commision is involved.

There is no way McAvoy's agent takes 5 million. Charlie would have to secretly sign the paperwork behind his agents back to get that done. To most agents, players are commodities they are selling speculation on. They will get their top price irregardless of sensibility.

If Charlie was asking for 9m or more I think it would have leaked to the media by now. Would be perfect talk fuel with the Marner situation going on now. But both camps have been silent as a tomb, which is good news for Bruins fans IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I see what your getting at. He may never get better than he currently is, which is a risk for any player. But his agent is not going to touch that contingency. He will draw McAvoy as a future Norris winner and negotiate from that base. Realsim goes out the window when an agents commision is involved.

There is no way McAvoy's agent takes 5 million. Charlie would have to secretly sign the paperword behind his agents back to get that done. To most agents players are commodities they are selling speculation on. They will get their top price irregardless of sensibility.

If Charlie was asking for 9m or more I think it would have leaked to the media by now. Would be perfect talk fuel with the Marner situation going on now. But both camps have been silent as a tomb, which is good news for Bruins fans IMO.
agree friend, mentioned it earlier, getting the deal done, guessing, is just a matter of clearing the cap space for he and Carlo. I wouldn`t be shocked if both sides agree on a number just need the space to sign on the dotted line

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
agree friend, mentioned it earlier, getting the deal done, guessing, is just a matter of clearing the cap space for he and Carlo. I wouldn`t be shocked if both sides agree on a number just need the space to sign on the dotted line

@BruinsNetwork reported Bruins and Carlo were differing on the money, so I am not sure it is a matter of deals in principle and needing space. Nothing said about McAvoy but if he and the Bruins were a ways apart on the money/term I would not be shocked.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If there is room on your bus for one more who holds the same position, may I jump aboard please and thank you

I don`t think DS is having one bit of a squabble with either CM`s camp or Carlo`s, this is simply a matter of trying to rid himself of some $$ and right now we have one player making 6 mill who showed he struggles a ton to keep up in today`s game and another in Miller whose healthiest season over the last 5 years he played 71 games and is coming off a campaign where he played 39.

If I`m a GM, those two options are hardly one`s I look at as solid options to try and acquire
I agree 100%. Perhaps McAvoy is unhappy in Boston and wants to go to New York? Perhaps McAvoy is unhappy and wants to be a ballerina in the Russian opera company? Who the hell knows?

However, I've not seen on scrap of an indication that anyone is unhappy with anyone. Sweeney is not going to mess with McAvoy or Carlo -- but he's he's also not going to roll over, show his belly, and wag his tail like he's a 16 week old golden retriever puppy.

Until we hear something to the contrary, conjecture that Boston is trying to put the screws to McAvoy and he's already bought a house on the Island is just foolishness.

Your Username suggests we might thing the same way. Throughout my earlier life I didn't get in trouble everytime I undertook certain behaviors, but I can honestly say that everytime I did get in trouble I was almost without question undertaking those certain behaviors.

People looking for smoke on this McAvoy and Carlo issue now are just troubling trouble.

member 96824

I’m not even asking mcavoy to leave money. I’m willing to pay him every penny he’s earned. All 6.2 million. If he wants to play hardball, then I play right back. 1x3.5 or sit.

Cody Ceci is horrid and just got 4.5

Reactions: TCB

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Would anybody of given 4y 3.5m the Canucks gave Ferland?

It's been mentioned on local Vancouver talk radio that the nucks were the only team to go 4 years on Ferland and he wanted term.

Everyone else interested in signing him only offered 2-3 year deals and would not budge.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
22 minutes a night 26 points stays healthy. If he was good at defense he’d get 6.5-7.5 with those stats.

Yeah but he's not. That's the problem with him and his offensive IQ is very suspect. He has the tools in the tool box but doesn't know how to use them.

I guess if he's worth 4.5 mil Carlo is easily is worth 5 and McAvoy 7 as Ceci would have a hard time beating out are 1 millon dollar man in Clifton. Problem is he's not worth 4.5 mil and the leafs will soon find that out.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad