GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Maybe, I doubt very much there will be any hometown discount where McAvoy is concerned. There is a part of me that expects him to head for Long Island or the Rangers as soon as he reaches UFA status, pissing him off may well guarantee it.

Right and if he doesn’t want to take a home town discount then you might as well squeeze him when you can and when it’s easier for Boston financially to sign him to a market deal they go to him then in 1-2 years

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The first chance he gets is a ways away and if you come to him in 1 or 2 years with a 7 year 63 million dollar deal I’m pretty sure he’ll stop being pissed

Not a game you play with a player who clearly loves playing in Boston with this team.

Kiss any possibile future "Hometown Discount" goodbye

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Not a game you play with a player who clearly loves playing in Boston with this team.

Kiss any possibile future "Hometown Discount" goodbye

Right if mcavoy wants to sign 6x6 or something now that’s tough to pass up. But if he wants 7-8 now that’s not much of a hometown discount to begin with. I would even say that’s paying for production and health that he hasn’t shown yet.

Reactions: bbfan419

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Right if mcavoy wants to sign 6x6 or something now that’s tough to pass up. But if he wants 7-8 now that’s not much of a hometown discount to begin with. I would even say that’s paying for production and health that he hasn’t shown yet.

This team with McAvoy temporarily overpaid by a million or 2 >>>>> no McAvoy at all.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
This team with McAvoy temporarily overpaid by a million or 2 >>>>> no McAvoy at all.

No mcavoy at all when? 5 years? I don’t care about looking that far ahead. Bridge deal now. Show him the money even if it’s 8-9 million while he’s still an rfa in a year or 2. If he doesn’t take it and wants short term again, give it to him and trade him before he hits ufa. If he takes it, the problem is fixed both long and short term.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
You could say they also used it on Krug and forced him to take a 1 year 1.4 million dollar deal and then another 1 year 3.4 million dollar deal. Krugs 1.4 was off of a 40 point season with another 10 in12 playoff games. No one seemed to be upset about that and Krug still eventually signed long term and seems to like the organization despite the early on hardball. The only way mcavoy taking a bridge deal will be an issue is if he decides to make it one.

issues are created by any and all parties that have an interest in outcome.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
issues are created by any and all parties that have an interest in outcome.

I wasn’t a philosophy major. But I just think there’s an opportunity to put the screws to mcavoy with an understanding he’ll be paid another time and help our cap situation short term so I do it

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I wasn’t a philosophy major. But I just think there’s an opportunity to put the screws to mcavoy with an understanding he’ll be paid another time and help our cap situation short term so I do it
And every potential free agent will take note of how Boston treats it’s players.

Sweeney has been pretty Golden when it comes to signing value young free agents, makes for a much harder sell when they see you putting the screws to a guy who’s obviously earned more.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
And every potential free agent will take note of how Boston treats it’s players.

Sweeney has been pretty Golden when it comes to signing value young free agents, makes for a much harder sell when they see you putting the screws to a guy who’s obviously earned more.

Has he? What’s the market for 30 point RFA defensemen who miss 25 games a year on a one year deal?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Has he? What’s the market for 30 point RFA defensemen who miss 25 games a year on a one year deal?

Right- McAvoy's primary value is potential right now. He has been a good player so far and shown that he will probably get better and better, but he's crazy to be asking for big money big term right now. He hasn't earned it.

Reactions: bbfan419

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Right- McAvoy's primary value is potential right now. He has been a good player so far and shown that he will probably get better and better, but he's crazy to be asking for big money big term right now. He hasn't earned it.

Ahem. Young top 2 defensman who got to game 7 of the Finals last year.

He could ask for big money on that alone.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

He could ask and probably is asking for it. He might also be believing his own hype that he's the next Ray Bourque. He has yet to play a full season (63 and 54 games). I don't think it is too much for the Bruins to acknowledge he is a good player who could be great, but he needs to show something more to get that big money big term deal. Just my opinion of course and I am no expert.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Wow! Really?

Guy is legit our number one defenceman today. He is an absolutely critical part of the Bruins present AND future.

This hardball talk is baffling to me.

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State

I would expect he wants 6 years around 7ish, bruins probably want that over 8, but he knows hell be worth 11 at that point so why not sign the 5/6 year deal. these RFA deals are getting ridiculous and should be capped at length or $ by percentage, idk

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Wow! Really?

Guy is legit our number one defenceman today. He is an absolutely critical part of the Bruins present AND future.

Not Sinden-like hardball, not at all. But if he is coming in asking for PK Subban money and a long-term and the Bruins are reluctant to go there because of cap concerns, then I understand their position. He is a really good player but has also missed a lot of time with injury and imo has another step to take to be that #1 guy that makes the big money. Consistency, health, a bit more offensive production. He isn't where his potential indicates he could be in a year or two. What if he breaks down again next season and plays 50 games. And the one after that? A bridge deal at a decent wage: 4-5 mil is not unreasonable to me.

member 96824

Reminds me a bit of when BCBruin used to post here and was telling us how Vesey was 100% hellbent on the Bruins for yeeearss

And then he talked to the Hayes family about how they were treated here

And poof just like that, he was gone.

This isn’t a video game, these are people.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Wow! Really?

If there is room on your bus for one more who holds the same position, may I jump aboard please and thank you

I don`t think DS is having one bit of a squabble with either CM`s camp or Carlo`s, this is simply a matter of trying to rid himself of some $$ and right now we have one player making 6 mill who showed he struggles a ton to keep up in today`s game and another in Miller whose healthiest season over the last 5 years he played 71 games and is coming off a campaign where he played 39.

If I`m a GM, those two options are hardly one`s I look at as solid options to try and acquire

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Harry Sinden-like, no thank you

Id rather skew sinden then skew chiarelli. Chychrun signed long term for 4.8. He misses 20-30 games a year just like mcavoy. He plays 20 minutes a night vs mcavoy 22. He put up 20 points last year vs mcavoys 28. Mcavoy is worth more no doubt. Give him 100,000 per every point...800,000. Give him another 600,000 for the 2 extra minutes a night which equates to 7 more games over 82 roughly or 11%. 11% of 4.8 +4.8 is like 500,000. So bonus 100,000. 1.4+4.8 is 6.2. Mcavoy if he wants to take a home town discount (assuming that’s what chrychun did) would sign 5x6.2m. I’m okay with that. If he wants 6.5 I’d even do that. If he wants more then we are now talking about paying a player on a long term deal money he has not yet earned when we don’t have to. What player has Boston signed to a long term extension out of RFA they didn’t give the bruins at least a fair deal? Pastrnak left money, Marchand left money, Krug left money initially. I’m not even asking mcavoy to leave money. I’m willing to pay him every penny he’s earned. All 6.2 million. If he wants to play hardball, then I play right back. 1x3.5 or sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad