GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I don’t want Lucic because he’s terrible at hockey and have not complained about toughness in the playoffs

Also he wasn’t third, Tanev was.
You got me Lucic was seventh in hits
Sorry posters on here were complaining about toughness in the Columbus and the blues series

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Cassidy was a big improvement over Claude at the time.

Sweeney has really hurt this team with Backes, Beleksey, Moore, and the 2015 draft. And trades like Zac Rinaldo for a 3rd, while not the end of the world, make me question his understanding of value of players in the league.

I give him credit for Carlo, Halak, Coyle, and Johansson but he has really made some moves that doesn’t leave them with much flexibility in the last couple years of this core’s window.

What about...

Kuraly - Martin Jones trade via Milan Lucic trade
DeBrusk - Drafted
McAvoy - Drafted
Clifton - FA college signing
Dobby - Remember fans irate that we didn't re-sign him last year
Marchand/Pasta - Both extension well below market value.

I mean just the Marchand/Pastrnak ext were solid. They could have easily have another $4 million tied up in those two players and they'd still be considered great value.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
That “championship core of players” was in the dumps when Sweeney took over. I’m sure it’s just a big coincidence that since the coaching and GM changes, we’ve seen nothing but up a team progressing and going further.
Progress? Not so much, breaking some stale coaching yeah it gave them a kick in the pants but again it’s the same championship core.

Reactions: Strafer

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yet still a core that made it to the finals twice.

Correct, they had made the SCF in 2 of 3 years...then went on to miss the playoffs 2 of 3 years. Still this team was a wreck when Sweeney came in. In the time he righted the Bruins ship, his predecessor ran the Oilers into the ground and was fired.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Yet still a core that made it to the finals twice.

at the end of the day, Claude and Chia have their names on the cup. Great duo with the only cup win in 47 years and you are correct not every GM gets a core of Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Pasta, Chara, Krug and Rask handed to them. That also doesnt include also having assets such as Reilly Smith, Hamilton, Lucic, and Loui. That makes your job a lot easier and makes it more frustrating they can't find a 2nd line RW

Last edited:
Reactions: veganbruin

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Progress? Not so much, breaking some stale coaching yeah it gave them a kick in the pants but again it’s the same championship core.

Chara was 38 yrs old when Sweeney took over. Bergy just turned over the 30 and Kerjci was right behind him. The only two guys Sweeney got in their "prime" from this "core" was Rask and Marchand.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Donny didn't replace Claude a year earlier and allowed 2 straight DNQs when the East was a lot more wide open than it is right now. Core were in the absolute 'peak' of their primes.

Beleskey actually had a very good year his and Donny's first in Boston but he filled out the team with Kempainen playing 44 games and Rinaldo 52 (Landon Ferraro, Jimmy Hayes, Max Talbot saw a lot of time that season.) Then we signed Backes.

Its kind of ugly looking back how he added to that core he inherited.

Sweeney has been better in the last 18 months but there were a lot of misses his first year or two on the job. And with Mojo taking a perfect deal elsewhere that I am shocked by with regards to AAV and term we clearly are not in 'add' mode. Not sure who will step up the organization doesn't like Cehlarik, Bjork gets hurt, Fredric and Senny look miles away from NHLers, etc etc. Paul Carey is probably the Johansson replacement.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Boston Bruins: Brandon Carlo could be a prime offer-sheet target

The Boston Bruins are tight to the salary cap and teams around the league know it. Brandon Carlo could be the obvious option to target with an offer-sheet.

This reads and feels more like a "I need something to write about" than a real possibility. Theoretically it's possible, but we have hardly seen an offer sheet of late and when we have seen one it is for top tier players. If it starts happening to guys like Carlo, that would change everything about RFA status wouldn't it?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Donny didn't replace Claude a year earlier and allowed 2 straight DNQs when the East was a lot more wide open than it is right now. Core were in the absolute 'peak' of their primes.

Beleskey actually had a very good year his and Donny's first in Boston but he filled out the team with Kempainen playing 44 games and Rinaldo 52 (Landon Ferraro, Jimmy Hayes, Max Talbot saw a lot of time that season.) Then we signed Backes.

Sweeney has been better in the last 18 months but there were a lot of misses his first year or two on the job. And with Mojo taking a perfect deal elsewhere that I am shocked by with regards to AAV and term we clearly are not in 'add' mode. Not sure who will step up the organization doesn't like Cehlarik, Bjork gets hurt, Fredric and Senny look miles away from NHLers, etc etc. Paul Carey is probably the Johansson replacement.

I`m one who believes that Sweeney`s caution these days in jumping into the UFA market has to do in part with the Beleseky and Backes signings

Obviously you have to have cap space in order to sign someone and with the B`s still needing to negotiate a few contracts, not so sure they have any room currently but nonetheless I think that DS likely knows those two contracts were shining moments. Really liked Beleskey in year one then he fell off a cliff but Backes never got on track here, injuries, health issues have kept him from ever really gaining any traction.

I only had some issues with the length of DB`s contract, but he was coming off a terrific playoff and thought he`d be a real nice fit here, unfortunate it hasn`t worked out, seems to be a very well respected player who has unfortunately encountered some horrible luck on the injury/health front

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
I don't think they got bullied. I didn't see anyone backing away from taking a hit to make a play. I didn't see anyone intimidated. They got cheapshotted and the refs missed it while calling things a joke of a 'hit to the head' on Tarasenko. If anything, Berube taught them a lesson in how to whine.

If Wes McAuley wasn't injured, the Bruins have the Cup right now. Instead they get Chris Rooney trying to show how virtuous he is by never calling any infraction against the Bruins.

I agree with you mostly, the team didn't seem intimidated much as a whole but...

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Anyone know how the agents commission works with such a large bonus?
Agents Commission Limits.

""An agent’s commission varies, based on the sport he represents. Generally, a sports agent earns between 4 and 10 percent of an athlete’s playing contract, though some leagues place limits on what percentage an agent can charge in commission. For example, the National Football League states that an agent can't receive more than 3 percent of player salaries. The National Basketball Association places the limit at 3 percent too. Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League don't have any limits on agent commissions, however."

The Average Sports Agent's Commission

Sports Agent Salaries | Sports Management Worldwide

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
at the end of the day, Claude and Chia have their names on the cup. Great duo with the only cup win in 47 years and you are correct not every GM gets a core of Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Pasta, Chara, Krug and Rask handed to them. That also doesnt include also having assets such as Reilly Smith, Hamilton, Lucic, and Loui. That makes your job a lot easier and makes it more frustrating they can't find a 2nd line RW

I understand this sentiment, but there's more to this, I think.

Rob Blake inherited a nice core in LA. He's done nothing with it. Dubas came in at a pretty attractive time in Toronto. What's he got to show for it?

2009, Stan Bowman came on board in Chicago, had a very solid core. Won 2 cups. They've fallen apart since.

The results are all over the spectrum and it's in part because there are so many more factors involved other than just a list of 6-7 "core" guys.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

I don’t think he is a bad GM, it’s not that at all. Just saying his route to getting the team back on track is easier when you have a core like they do. Not a bad GM, but GM of the year was surprising to me.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Well basically did.

When you have a massive hole in the top6 are you really going to cry if the 9th D-man is a bit worse if it means addressing a real problem?

2nd line of
DeBrusk- Krejci- Kuhlman/Backes is a massive failure and should never see the day.

No, it’s not “basically” what I said. And I wasn’t crying about the 9th D. I said complaining about Moore or Miller’s contract as if they’re completely unnecessary and are somehow killing us is crazy. I didn’t say they were guys that we had to keep and I didn’t say I’d rather have them instead of an upgrade to the top 6.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I don’t think he is a bad GM, it’s not that at all. Just saying his route to getting the team back on track is easier when you have a core like they do. Not a bad GM, but GM of the year was surprising to me.

Why?

I mean he made two Great deadline acquisitions(trades) in Coyle and Johansson. His signings of Halak,Wagner,Moore and Nordstrom were all impactfull of the Bruins making the Cup finals.

He did all this en-route to the Bruins coming one win from winning the Cup. Shouldn't of been too surprising, I mean whats the guy gotta do dress and score the game winner himself in game seven.

Reactions: Dr Hook

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
No team is going to offersheet Carlo at a price the Bruins would not match because of his lack of offense. They'd be drastically overpaying which is not the point of an offersheet.

Actually he’s a good guy to overpay because nothing is gonna include multiple firsts. I match if someone gives him 6 per.

If it happens we’ll be hurt more than Carolina was by the Habs and lose a couple mil in cap space vs if we inked him quicker.

Mojo walking for 2 years no raise and Carlo and McAvoy unsigned means it’s not been a good offseason so far. Doesn’t mean we suck or didn’t play into June but it hurts not to add Backes Moore and Miller LTIR is over 11 mil of space you can offersheet Marner for that.

Chiarelli did a miserable job in 2012 (the only player and asset we gave up in a trade at the deadline was Kampfer who wasn’t playing look at the deals) and 2014 (showed no shame pulling our pants down for Iggy premature Seidenberg extension killed the blue line and cost us JB) after Cup runs this offseason stinks too so far.

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad