NHL back on ESPN?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I would love a streaming service that has KHL and NHL content.

Didn't ESPN have that option a few years ago? I know DAZN has a KHL package, but it's currently not apart of the United States.

Reactions: varsaku

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
ESPN to launch streaming service ESPN+ on April 12

... feature more than 250 MLS games, live coverage of 31 PGA Tour events, Top Rank Boxing on ESPN (including Amir Khan vs. Phil Lo Greco on April 21), “thousands of live college sports events” from non-power conferences and some of ESPN’s original content like 30 for 30.
ESPN+ will not include streaming of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews or ESPN Classic, or the sports broadcast on those channels – like live NFL, NBA, MLB and college games. That still requires an existing cable, satellite or over-the-top subscription (from Sling TV, DirecTV Now or similar services). The same goes for ESPN’s daily and weekly shows like Pardon the Interruption.
ESPN+ was initially announced after Disney spent $1.58 billion last year to up its stake in streaming tech company BAMTech to 75%. BAMTech had been a division of Major League Baseball Advanced Media; MLB and the NHL still have minority interests in the company.

NHL games won't start until fall (RS only).

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
The big question, as not yet answered, is what sports currently available on the streaming service will be pulled and put on the ESPN+ for extra subscription fees. Supposedly it's mostly new content, but you know popular things like college football and basketball will get pulled and put on the new service.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Would ESPN even bid for the NHL TV rights given the huge mess they are in right now?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
ESPN has gone political I agree but I think bringing the NHL back could be good for the league. We'll have to see what happens.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Would ESPN even bid for the NHL TV rights given the huge mess they are in right now?

I'd see them as a secondary network partner to NBC, similar to Turner's MLB contract or CBC's role w/Rogers in Canada. ESPN could bid for a game of the week, let's say on a Sunday that would be in prime time (8:00 Eastern) and start after the NFL season, let's say the second week of January.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Looks like it'll be mostly live sports not predominately featured on ESPN like MLS and some NHL. Just guessing, but I bet they expand MLB coverage here as well.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It matters in a general sense, but if ESPN is the only place to watch the games people want to see..they'll watch them on ESPN.

It's different with the talk formats which form the core of their daytime programming. People - even die hard sports fans - don't really need those, and nobody will buy ESPN+ to see some former pro athlete with an IQ in the 85-90 range ramble on about sports in the least meaningful way.

This particular offer looks to be centered around niche live content that aims at small but not insignificant fan communities like the soccer crowd, the hockey crowd and mid-major college fans (who can't drive national TV ratings but can drive subscriber counts). I don't think ESPN's politics will be a big factor in the success or failure of the product. The bigger question to me seems to be whether they can mobilize enough 'crossover' fans..because if I am a NHL fan and want to see tons of NHL games, I can already buy a streaming service. Same with MLS. This seems to aim at people who want to see some NHL games *and* some MLS games and some MAC football or something and don't want to pay for the full streaming services. I don't know if that works. We'll see.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
ESPN to launch streaming service ESPN+ on April 12

NHL games won't start until fall (RS only).

Yes, This is from the out of market rights that BAMTech got a few years ago. Basically what is now the "NHL.tv free game of the day" will be on ESPN+. The full NHL.tv will also be available as an add on through ESPN+ (no word if you will have to subscribe to ESPN+ to get NHL.tv or if you will just be able to purchase the package without also buying ESPN+)

This doesn't effect NBC. The games on NBC/NBCSN now will remain. Also, NBC has full national and digital rights for the playoffs so that is why this is beginning next season and not the playoffs.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I want to know if it would be more reliable than watch ESPN that buffers every 10 seconds. I don't mind paying $5 a month for more sports options.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If ESPN wants to broadcast a game a week with NBC still being the primary broadcaster, that's fine. I have absolutely zero interest in ESPN being the primary broadcaster ever again.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Ugh, why are people thinking that ESPN might be a player in the main broadcaster race? They are bleeding money, and they will want to keep their interests that draw the most viewers. It's obvious that the NHL doesn't draw the TV numbers that their other interest do.

This is simply them propping up their online option. A game a day is a good option for people that no longer have cable. It adds something to their base of what you can watch. I for one won't pay for NHL Center Ice, as I mainly watch the Coyotes games on local tv. NBCSN games, and NBC games, sure. But if ESPN+ offered a game a day, on a night the coyotes weren't playing and there wasn't a game on NBCSN or NBC, it could be an option for me. Or perhaps I'd prefer to watch the game that they were showing compared to the game that was on NBCSN at the time.

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad