NHL back on ESPN?

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
Badly want it on ESPN, even treated as a second rate sport on ESPN, the coverage was 100x better quality than anything NBC/NBCSN has done.
ESPN never had clowns like McGuire either

Well ESPN would just hire McGuire if they get rights again. They will just hire the usual suspects of PBP and color commentator. Don't think Gary Thorne or Bill Clement will be back

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Well ESPN would just hire McGuire if they get rights again. They will just hire the usual suspects of PBP and color commentator. Don't think Gary Thorne or Bill Clement will be back
Don't Wish that kind of voodoo on us

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Badly want it on ESPN, even treated as a second rate sport on ESPN, the coverage was 100x better quality than anything NBC/NBCSN has done.
You apparently missed the 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons where ESPN was an afterthought. That's not saying NBCSN has done for the NHL what I think it should (though I wonder how much of that is limited by the NHL's desire to retain programming for the NHL Network), but ESPN wasn't giving an hour pregame show or a half-hour postgame show to the NHL for regular season games.

Oh sure, you did get NHL2Night most nights with ESPN to loosely recap the night's events, but that was also when the NHL Network wasn't around. And, late in the ESPN contract, you didn't even get that at all. And, that show wasn't on the main network - it was on ESPN2, before the Mother Ship had spent $11873 billion on MNF, college basketball, college football, NBA and F1 rights, along with anything else it could get its hands on to limit the amount of coverage other competitors had available.

Reactions: DaveG and Spydey629

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
You apparently missed the 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons where ESPN was an afterthought. That's not saying NBCSN has done for the NHL what I think it should (though I wonder how much of that is limited by the NHL's desire to retain programming for the NHL Network), but ESPN wasn't giving an hour pregame show or a half-hour postgame show to the NHL for regular season games.

Oh sure, you did get NHL2Night most nights with ESPN to loosely recap the night's events, but that was also when the NHL Network wasn't around. And, late in the ESPN contract, you didn't even get that at all. And, that show wasn't on the main network - it was on ESPN2, before the Mother Ship had spent $11873 billion on MNF, college basketball, college football, NBA and F1 rights, along with anything else it could get its hands on to limit the amount of coverage other competitors had available.
You're whole point is pre and post game? Who cares.
the broadcast of the actual game (the thing that matters the most) was 100x better than the last decade of NBCSN & NBC

Riiiiiiiiiight. Because 30 years of Barry Melrose has been better.
Yes, Infinitely.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
You're whole point is pre and post game? Who cares.
the broadcast of the actual game (the thing that matters the most) was 100x better than the last decade of NBCSN & NBC
OK, I'll bite.

What specifically is better about ESPN/ABC's broadcast that NBCSN/NBC doesn't do? Alternatively, what specifically is worse about NBCSN/NBC's broadcast than ESPN/ABC's?

Reactions: Spydey629

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad