NHL back on ESPN?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Ugh, why are people thinking that ESPN might be a player in the main broadcaster race? They are bleeding money, and they will want to keep their interests that draw the most viewers. It's obvious that the NHL doesn't draw the TV numbers that their other interest do.

This is simply them propping up their online option. A game a day is a good option for people that no longer have cable. It adds something to their base of what you can watch. I for one won't pay for NHL Center Ice, as I mainly watch the Coyotes games on local tv. NBCSN games, and NBC games, sure. But if ESPN+ offered a game a day, on a night the coyotes weren't playing and there wasn't a game on NBCSN or NBC, it could be an option for me. Or perhaps I'd prefer to watch the game that they were showing compared to the game that was on NBCSN at the time.
AGAIN, THIS IS PRE-2006, FOLKS, it rarely matters what the contract states

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
It's a great deal for MLS fans as ESPN+ will inherit the entire "out of market" MLS live package and it's a slightly cheaper price. There will be a lot of euro league options also. And USL matches. which right now you can get for free on Youtube.

I think what ESPN+ will be getting is the NHL free stream of the day that is currently hosted on Yahoo.

I'd love for the AHL to find a way to get on ESPN+. i'd like to watch more Amerks games.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
ESPN would be no better of a host for the NHL then NBC for a variety of reasons. First is ESPN is not the juggernaut it used to be due to the rise of competing national sports networks (such as Fox Sports) , their overpayment on television deals, and loss of revenue from people dumping cable. Over the past few years ESPN has taken a sharp turn to Leftwing politics which has angered people simply looking to escape from the issues of life. This deal seems to be just a way to add content to a subscription that is replicated many other offerings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llama19

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Now that we're a little into this how has ESPN+ been for NHL fans? Thinking of getting it. At 4.99 it's a lot more attractive to get than the NHL's own streaming at $25 a month

KingArthursCourt

pronouns: he/him/his
Nov 11, 2019
British Columbia
ESPN would be no better of a host for the NHL then NBC for a variety of reasons. First is ESPN is not the juggernaut it used to be due to the rise of competing national sports networks (such as Fox Sports) , their overpayment on television deals, and loss of revenue from people dumping cable. Over the past few years ESPN has taken a sharp turn to Leftwing politics which has angered people simply looking to escape from the issues of life. This deal seems to be just a way to add content to a subscription that is replicated many other offerings.

These are, ironically, the same sort of people whining about Cherry being fired for inserting politics into a sports broadcast.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
ESPN would be no better of a host for the NHL then NBC for a variety of reasons. First is ESPN is not the juggernaut it used to be due to the rise of competing national sports networks (such as Fox Sports) , their overpayment on television deals, and loss of revenue from people dumping cable.
Hockey was always third or fourth tier on ESPN and I doubt that will change.
The NHL has reportedly turned down more money from ESPN to stay with NBC and I hope they continue

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Now that we're a little into this how has ESPN+ been for NHL fans? Thinking of getting it. At 4.99 it's a lot more attractive to get than the NHL's own streaming at $25 a month

It's a cheap option for games(some nights they have 2 games), and you can replay them for a period the days after. I mean honestly if you like sports, no reason to not have it. Just dont get starbucks for a day.

Reactions: DaveG

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Media Mailbag: The latest on the NHL's TV contract talks,...

Paywall.

Some speculation on next NHL TV deal. In response to mailbag question.

I expect the NHL to take on an additional media partner beyond NBC Sports. I do think NBC Sports will retain the postseason and at least one night per week, but the NHL is in a very good position for a significant rights fee increase. They have a very good story for media companies: Good audience demos, a lot of inventory, and expansion growth in terrific cities (Las Vegas and Seattle). ESPN could certainly grab more inventory, and I would not be surprised if DAZN made a serious run at part of the package. The NHL can make a lot of money if it splits up its rights.

DAZN promoted itself heavily as a place to watch PPV fights.

Hockey doesn't have as many now.

My guess is that the powers that be want at least as many games on broadcast TV as currently. And perhaps more streaming options.

Big question to me is black out rules.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Media Mailbag: The latest on the NHL's TV contract talks,...

Paywall.

Some speculation on next NHL TV deal. In response to mailbag question.

DAZN promoted itself heavily as a place to watch PPV fights.

Hockey doesn't have as many now.

My guess is that the powers that be want at least as many games on broadcast TV as currently. And perhaps more streaming options.

Big question to me is black out rules.
They will always find a way to screw the locals over.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Is this the case??

I've been trying to figure this out for a while but I seem to be a dunce and not understand it. Is the NHL on ESPN+? My fiancee recently got Disney Plus and would rather ditch my current NHL subscription for this if I can watch the Ducks games on it.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Is this the case??

I've been trying to figure this out for a while but I seem to be a dunce and not understand it. Is the NHL on ESPN+? My fiancee recently got Disney Plus and would rather ditch my current NHL subscription for this if I can watch the Ducks games on it.

From what others said it seems you get 1 (sometimes 2) free games a night for the NHL on ESPN+. But you don't get to pick them.

I may be wrong I haven't signed up yet.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Is this the case??

ESPN+ gives you 1 or 2 NHL games a night. You won't get all or even remotely close to all Ducks games with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad