NHL back on ESPN?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Is this the case??

I've been trying to figure this out for a while but I seem to be a dunce and not understand it. Is the NHL on ESPN+? My fiancee recently got Disney Plus and would rather ditch my current NHL subscription for this if I can watch the Ducks games on it.
If you want to watch a specific team, it's not for you. Took a quick look at schedule and their next game on it isn't until December 2nd.

Reactions: DaveG

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
It's funny how if you add all the subscriptions you get these days together, you're paying them as much as or more than you did before this supposedly cost-saving cord-cutting movement started.

I can attest to this. I cut cable in favor of Playstatin Vue in early 2016, and for a little while it was a much better deal than Xfinity or Verizon (main providers in the Phill area) since they had local news, NBCS Philly, and every sports channel minus NHL Network. After 2017 they began cutting channels and raising prices regularly. I started at $35 per month and when I ended my sub (after news broke they were shutting the service down in January) I was paying $55 with essentially the same package.

I have YoutubeTV now and it's a good service overall as I get 90% of what I want for a cheaper price than cable, but I do miss how cable centralizes everything and is more convenient to use still (in my opinion).

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
It just doesn't seem like the NHL is a priority for ESPN. If you got to ESPN.com, the NHL menu link is hidden wayyy down in a submenu between "NBA G League", "NCAAW" and "Olympic Sports".

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
It's funny how if you add all the subscriptions you get these days together, you're paying them as much as or more than you did before this supposedly cost-saving cord-cutting movement started.
Yep, I recently moved
Was eager to cut the cord, but internet alone is ~$60 a month. The "triple play" from my new provider is about $100.
I went with it. Sports/DVR/the massive amount of on demand offerings swayed me. Was pleasantly surprised to see that this new cable provider seems to get it.

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
ESPN is focusing on espn plus nowadays.

Sunday afternoons and Tuesday nights are the only slots I can see being available which is enough.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No it wouldn’t.

Been there. Done that.

You mean the time that ESPN regularly showed hockey, regularly showed hockey highlights on SportsCenter, and had an entire show dedicated to hockey?

Yes, been there, done that. Hockey wasn't central to ESPN like it has been to NBCSN, but the level to which they neglected the NHL is vastly overstated.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
It just doesn't seem like the NHL is a priority for ESPN. If you got to ESPN.com, the NHL menu link is hidden wayyy down in a submenu between "NBA G League", "NCAAW" and "Olympic Sports".

It makes sense...the NHL isn't a moneymaker in the U.S. like the other leagues and sports. But if you have a free ESPN account and you pick the NHL as one of your favorites...NHL stories/links are on the main page.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
It makes sense...the NHL isn't a moneymaker in the U.S. like the other leagues and sports. But if you have a free ESPN account and you pick the NHL as one of your favorites...NHL stories/links are on the main page.

It makes a lot more money in the US than NCAAF, NCAAM, Soccer, and MMA. All of which are on ESPN's top level menu.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
The NHL makes more money than college football? Wow, I would never have guessed that.
With the amount ESPN overpaid for the NBA and NCAA, it's not surprising. I can't say for sure on the college football, but I know the NBA has been a bloodbath for ESPN, they overpaid and the ratings are down. The NHL on the other hand was a steal of a deal for NBC. Pretty sure they pay their investment off before the playoffs start every season

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I think Ernie is thinking about how much money NCAA FB and BB make for the schools compared to how much the NHL makes for itself. Since the NHL is a 4B/yr prospect, there is a chance he might be right about that.

However, if we compare how much revenue is in it for the broadcasters, it is, of course, no comparison. NHL makes about 750M a year from its media partners. Assuming that the media partners break even (which might not be true), that number pales in comparison with what the networks of various types bring in from NCAA games.

Difference of perspective here, I think.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Heh I may be wrong. I tried to dig up numbers but I couldn't find anything substantial. But yeah, I was talking about total revenue, which I would consider a placeholder for how much interest there is in the sport.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
It makes a lot more money in the US than NCAAF, NCAAM, Soccer, and MMA. All of which are on ESPN's top level menu.

I dealt with TV/radio advertising professionally a hand few of years ago and I can tell you without hesitation that the NHL is way less profitable for it's media rights holders in the U.S. compared to college football/basketball and soccer. The only markets that tune into NHL games in any measurable number are ones that are home to an NHL team, and even in those markets the ratings are usually well behind college FB/BB, and soccer when put up head to head.

On the other hand, college FB/BB are watched nationwide. As is soccer because of the large immigrant population.

If you need stats, the most watched NHL game last year (2018) was game 5 of the SCF with a 3.9 rating nationwide. In comparison, the college football championship pulled a 13.8 rating, and there were 20 other college football games that had better ratings than said game 5.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I dealt with TV/radio advertising professionally a hand few of years ago and I can tell you without hesitation that the NHL is way less profitable for it's media rights holders in the U.S. compared to college football/basketball and soccer. The only markets that tune into NHL games in any measurable number are ones that are home to an NHL team, and even in those markets the ratings are usually well behind college FB/BB, and soccer when put up head to head.

On the other hand, college FB/BB are watched nationwide. As is soccer because of the large immigrant population.

If you need stats, the most watched NHL game last year (2018) was game 5 of the SCF with a 3.9 rating nationwide. In comparison, the college football championship pulled a 13.8 rating, and there were 20 other college football games that had better ratings than said game 5.

You're missing half of the profit equation - COST!

NBC does really well off the NHL because the rights are so cheap, only $200mm annually.

ESPN is paying 2.35 times that just for the Playoff and NY6 - that's 9 games! ($435mm)

Let's say hypothetically, all 9 games drew that 13.8 (they didn't), that's 124.2 total ratings points. Do the math, that's $3.5mm per point! (Again, a low end estimate, as all the games didn't draw close to the Title game).

At that rate, all NBC would need from their 112 game slate is 57.14 points to match the investment. The Final averaged a 3.0, so there's 21 already. Clearly, NBC is getting a better deal.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As we have discussed NBC hit it big with the Blackhawks since this contract kicked in starting in 2011-12 and by the end of 2015 they had recouped their $2 billion investment.

The NHL has one thing in their favor - affluent demographics.

I still expect FOX to make a push - Bettman has conceded it was a mistake to leave that network after 1999.

Reactions: Spydey629

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
You're missing half of the profit equation - COST!

NBC does really well off the NHL because the rights are so cheap, only $200mm annually.

ESPN is paying 2.35 times that just for the Playoff and NY6 - that's 9 games! ($435mm)

Let's say hypothetically, all 9 games drew that 13.8 (they didn't), that's 124.2 total ratings points. Do the math, that's $3.5mm per point! (Again, a low end estimate, as all the games didn't draw close to the Title game).

At that rate, all NBC would need from their 112 game slate is 57.14 points to match the investment. The Final averaged a 3.0, so there's 21 already. Clearly, NBC is getting a better deal.

If you are strictly saying NBC has a better deal because they pay so little so it doesn't matter if the NHL gets poor ratings because percentage-wise they are getting a better bang with their buck (better ROI so to speak)...then you are correct.

But with all due respect, in the grand scheme of things the money the NHL generates through TV deals/advertising/viewership in the U.S. is a drop in the bucket when compared to college football/basketball, soccer, etc. That's why NBC's deal is so cheap to begin with and why ESPN didn't renew their contract with the NHL back in the day.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
As we have discussed NBC hit it big with the Blackhawks since this contract kicked in starting in 2011-12 and by the end of 2015 they had recouped their $2 billion investment.

The NHL has one thing in their favor - affluent demographics.

I still expect FOX to make a push - Bettman has conceded it was a mistake to leave that network after 1999.

Agreed. Especially since the Disney sale. Fox has been pushing for live sports content. I wouldn't be shocked to see a Fox "Thursday Night Hockey" package on the main network, kicking in after the NFL regular season. Add a dedicated night on FS1, and that's probably enough of a contract to split the rights with NBC - rotating who gets the All-Star weekend, Conference Finals, and Stanley Cup Final.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Agreed. Especially since the Disney sale. Fox has been pushing for live sports content. I wouldn't be shocked to see a Fox "Thursday Night Hockey" package on the main network, kicking in after the NFL regular season. Add a dedicated night on FS1, and that's probably enough of a contract to split the rights with NBC - rotating who gets the All-Star weekend, Conference Finals, and Stanley Cup Final.
FX/FXX Tried that in 2001, FOLKS LOOK it up the history of FX Networks, prior to FS1/FS2, then known as SPEED/Fuel, IT is now unlikely that Fox and its related networks will ever challenge the Disney owned ESPN, which swallowed ABC Sports in 2006

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad