NHL: Around the League 47

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
This is literally Kings vs Rangers 2014 all over again. The real SC was between Tampa and Islanders like it was between the Kings and Hawks in '14.

I don’t think it’s the same at all. The kings and Hawks were considered the best teams in the league all year in 2014. Tampa was but the Isles aren’t even close to that. If it was a Islanders Vegas cup final do you think the Isles would just roll over them?

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
Seems to me all the other contenders just got old.

Kings
Us
Penguins
Caps
Bruins

The top teams of the last decade overall, might be missing one or two, probably.

Tampa waited their turn and now they have their time in the sun. Shame their cup runs/finals have been so anticlimactic, but I doubt their fan base is complaining.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
34DFBC07-FF9B-43BD-9E1E-2BB207F3BF6B.jpeg

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kings are looking to accelerate rebuild and wanted to add two top 6 wingers

They feel several of the young guys they have on roster will make big leaps in production next year and with some of the other talent coming in pipeline they believe they are on right path to fast rise

Given they play in West its not the worst gamble when you think about it since several teams are expected to take step back (Calgary + Ari) while some simply are pretty bad (Anaheim and SJ) and wont be getting any better soon and your going to have expansion Seattle in division as well

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Arvidsson is great at transitioning through the neutral zone and a good forechecker. His finishing has been up and down. He's had some white hot seasons and some really cold seasons.

I think a 2nd and a 3rd is a tad pricey, but he'll add some speed to the Kings lineup, which seems to be their major priority of late.

EDIT: Also, the Kings have done such a good job of restocking their prospect pipeline, they probably feel more free than most organizations would to part with some picks for immediate, NHL-ready help.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Arvidsson is a guy who looks like his best years are behind him. He's been banged up a lot in recent years. LA is drafting at what....39? There are almost always good players available that early in the second round. For a team that finished in the lottery, this trade doesn't make a lot of sense.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
The Kings have a path to get back in the playoffs, so I can't fault them for picking Arvidsson up. I think he'll fit in very well.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
LA will get close to that or more back at the deadline for him. I like it for LA.

Yeah good point, and best case scenario he fits like a glove and is worth keeping. I’d have considered giving up a second for him since we are missing one more winger to round out a solid top 6 if Toews is back

Cat-Toews-Kane
Kubalik-Dach-Arvidsson

That’s a solid top 6 and those two guys complement Dach very well, but also put him in a position to take ownership of that line. Faceoffs would still be a problem, though.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
LA will get close to that or more back at the deadline for him. I like it for LA.

He's got two more seasons left after this at $4.25M. He's going to have to really light it up, stay healthy, and bounce back after two pretty mediocre seasons, to get a 2nd back. The cap space isn't a big deal to LA, but it will be to whoever looks to acquire him. Especially with a flat cap.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He's got two more seasons left after this at $4.25M. He's going to have to really light it up, stay healthy, and bounce back after two pretty mediocre seasons, to get a 2nd back. The cap space isn't a big deal to LA, but it will be to whoever looks to acquire him. Especially with a flat cap.
Janmark got us a second and a third. Arvidsson understandably makes more, but he's also the better player.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Janmark got us a second and a third. Arvidsson understandably makes more, but he's also the better player.

Term tends to decrease value at the TDL. Most contenders just want a short rental. Cheap ones are even better. It's a possibility, but we will see. I don't think LA is looking to flip him anyways. You don't trade for a guy with 3 seasons on his contract to flip him at the TDL. They also have the cap space to spend on him, and an opening on the wing. My guess is, they're really hoping he bounces back and fills in their top six for the next few seasons. It's a gamble.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
you don't get arvidsson for a 2nd and a 3rd if there aren't some question marks around his future production...seems like a fine deal for what la appears to be trying to accomplish, still have a 2nd round pick from the alec martinez trade

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
LA is just trying to keep Doughty happy. I believe he said something along the lines of "we better be a better team (or playoff team) next year." Dont remember exact words.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Adding players like Ardvisson is still a part of the rebuild process. Like I said in the Jones discussion, you need stable veteran presence in the lineup if your young players are seeing regular NHL minutes. It’s not a leap in logic to think that a bunch of young players trying to do everything on their own isn’t going to get a team very far.

Certainly seems that way looking at EDM, TOR, and BUF. They’ve struggled for years and none of their young players know how to win. They’ve had insufficient and/or low quality vets on their teams who take up cap space and don’t make the team better.

If LA is ready to take the next step in the rebuild process, nurturing their young players they’ve been acquiring the last few seasons is necessary. They still have their 1st rounder so they’re going to be stocking their cupboard even more.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

If true, the Blackhawks should absolutely be interested.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

First RNH, now him? Weird stuff going on.

I’m glad we don’t have anyone to extend right now other than maybe Cat. If you can lock him up for 8 years at a slight discount I’d do that. And yes I realize he’ll be more than Ek and RNH but with the flat cap I wasn’t expecting to see many 8 year deals even for elite players, let alone guys like this.

Reactions: Mrfenn92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad