NHL and NHLPA Prefer to play some regular season games if they are able to resume playing

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So like WWE is doing now? Is your thoughts that they do this to meet their TV and sponsorship obligations? I can only speak to WWE but I feel like the 5 minutes I watched of raw Was brand damaging but it’s a work so that is probably apples and oranges I guess.
Actually I think this will be pro sports only option unless they are willing to go dark until an effective vaccine is developed and distributed throughout every region of the world, so likely for the NHL that would be the 21-22 season. My gut is at some point the league decides on a way to finish off the current season and playoffs and then take a short period of time off and go into a modified 20-21 season under the same playing conditions.

Again this is just speculation but these types of drastic measures will start getting serious consideration once countries start getting second spikes soon after they try to open back up for business. This is a pandemic like no other experienced in our lifetimes, with a virus no one has any immunity to that is uniquely suited to take advantage on how mankind has organized their world.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We don’t even know how things are gonna play out a week in advance right now yet they already know there won’t be any sporting events by Thanksgiving? Yeh ok. California is a mess anyways.

Sporting events will be among the last things to return to normal. This thing hasn't peaked in North America yet. Once it peaks there will be a long period of winding down before we begin the restart. Open things up too soon and we will have a second wave much worse than the first one.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Actually I think this will be pro sports only option unless they are willing to go dark until an effective vaccine is developed and distributed throughout every region of the world, so likely for the NHL that would be the 21-22 season. My gut is at some point the league decides on a way to finish off the current season and playoffs and then take a short period of time off and go into a modified 20-21 season under the same playing conditions.

Again this is just speculation but these types of drastic measures will start getting serious consideration once countries start getting second spikes soon after they try to open back up for business. This is a pandemic like no other experienced in our lifetimes, with a virus no one has any immunity to that is uniquely suited to take advantage on how mankind has organized their world.

It will be fascinating to see it play out. I am going to wait to see what the world feels like in early August.

On a side note I crowd predicted a vaccine on December 19th of this year. Very wishful thinking compared to the experts.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It will be fascinating to see it play out. I am going to wait to see what the world feels like in early August.

On a side note I crowd predicted a vaccine on December 19th of this year. Very wishful thinking compared to the experts.
What happens in Western Europe will be very telling. What happens when Italy and Spain try venturing back to normal. Do they introduce things like immunity certificates? This maybe works in countries with strong social safety nets, but what happens in a country like the USA with a poorly developed social safety net and a large percentage of the population that is undocumented and has no access to any society benefits.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
So like WWE is doing now? Is your thoughts that they do this to meet their TV and sponsorship obligations? I can only speak to WWE but I feel like the 5 minutes I watched of raw Was brand damaging but it’s a work so that is probably apples and oranges I guess.

That was my thought too. I honestly think it's more viable because hockey doesn't "need" the crowd as part of the experience the way pro wrestling does. If that makes sense?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
The biggest problem for the sports league's and sports in general is that experts are predicting that the virus will re emerge in the fall, without a vaccine and or some kind of therapeutics in place large gatherings will never be allowed.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
All they do is report what he does and says. It is all they can do to keep up. If it makes him look bad, that is no one's fault but his own.

Trump is an idiot full stop.
CNN is not a news bureau full stop.
Been like that since the 90’s in both cases.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You would think that with a drug solution to kill off this Virus, that it will still have to go thru a testing period of 8-12 months, before they will administer it to humans ??

If this is the case, I can't see any hockey being played until January/2021,
unless, new virus infections drop to next to nothing, of they decide to just play to TV audiences. They need to get some revenues, you would think?

I think the owners will be OK thru this, as their "biggest cost" would be player salaries ( contracts) but I don't believe they have to pay them, unless the player is playing games, and the league is active.

I guess the biggest losers would be the players, but a lot of them are millionares anyways. I wonder how all this works out ? The players who would get hurt the most, are those in their 1st or 2nd year ?
Chipman said the players were getting paid when this all started on March 12 . I would imagine until the end of the regular season , that would cost the owners a little scratch with no revenue coming in . I wonder if season ticket holders get their money back for missed home games or a credit towards next season ?

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Chipman said the players were getting paid when this all started on March 12 . I would imagine until the end of the regular season , that would cost the owners a little scratch with no revenue coming in . I wonder if season ticket holders get their money back for missed home games or a credit towards next season ?

Holy smokes -- a little scratch is right --more like a big gouge. I wouldn't think the owners would have to pay for that ?? I wonder if they have insurance covering "disasterous events " ??

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The biggest problem for the sports league's and sports in general is that experts are predicting that the virus will re emerge in the fall, without a vaccine and or some kind of therapeutics in place large gatherings will never be allowed.
Exactly , i'm still going to work and taking precautions but i honestly don't know how fast i'm willing to go to the MTS center jammed with people screaming and shouting right beside me , especially the MTS center where seats are almost on top of one another . I gotta figure i'm not the only one feeling this way either .

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What happens in Western Europe will be very telling. What happens when Italy and Spain try venturing back to normal. Do they introduce things like immunity certificates? This maybe works in countries with strong social safety nets, but what happens in a country like the USA with a poorly developed social safety net and a large percentage of the population that is undocumented and has no access to any society benefits.

I agree on Western Europe. We need to see how society is months after the peak. People may start to feel much more comfortable with the new risk profiles.......or not?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That was my thought too. I honestly think it's more viable because hockey doesn't "need" the crowd as part of the experience the way pro wrestling does. If that makes sense?

They have played soccer games on empty stadiums for different reasons. I wonder how that felt for the fans?

They could possibly finish this season in empty buildings but they can’t start next season without fans. The HRR would be so damaged that players would be risking their health for pennies on the dollar.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
They have played soccer games on empty stadiums for different reasons. I wonder how that felt for the fans?

They could possibly finish this season in empty buildings but they can’t start next season without fans. The HRR would be so damaged that players would be risking their health for pennies on the dollar.
It would be so weird watching a hockey game with no fans , well weird for everyone accept Florida . :naughty: Can you imagine all the swearing you would hear clearly . :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Holy smokes -- a little scratch is right --more like a big gouge. I wouldn't think the owners would have to pay for that ?? I wonder if they have insurance covering "disasterous events " ??
Don't forget salaries are tied to league revenue. The players and owners split it 50/50 so a lot of those last pay cheques were given back to the owners in the form of escrow.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Exactly , i'm still going to work and taking precautions but i honestly don't know how fast i'm willing to go to the MTS center jammed with people screaming and shouting right beside me , especially the MTS center where seats are almost on top of one another . I gotta figure i'm not the only one feeling this way either .
Moistly screaming:laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Playing for TV money only will be a huge problem for the NHL. Existing TV contracts don't provide near enough revenue. Existing player contracts would have to apply. Escrow would have to be at about 95%. :laugh: Would the players even be willing to play, risking injury, under those conditions?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

What re-emerge? It will not have gone by fall.

There is the scenario of it being seasonal but that is considered low probability, AFAIK.

There are 2 things that will bring this to an end, 1) herd immunity, which requires something like 70+% of the population to have had the disease and 2) a vaccine, which is still a long way off - 10-12 months minimum.

Apparently blood plasma from recovered patients looks promising. Since the procedure is known and already tested for safety it might not take so long to be available. Can it be done on a large scale in a short time?

There have been instances of people either becoming re-infected after recovery or of the disease re-emerging in patients thought to have recovered. Either way, this could make a solution even more difficult.

Aside from the ruminations of the Great Orange Blob, how long will we, as a society, be willing to maintain the level of isolation we are now living with? Its only been a couple of weeks and it is already wearing at the nerve endings. How long will we be economically capable of maintaining this? Without the government subsidizing salaries, how high would unemployment be? What will be the effects of this government spending? A lot of uncharted waters here.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Sporting events will be among the last things to return to normal. This thing hasn't peaked in North America yet. Once it peaks there will be a long period of winding down before we begin the restart. Open things up too soon and we will have a second wave much worse than the first one.

Good luck shutting down football when it comes around. And completely canceling baseball season? Don’t see it happening.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good luck shutting down football when it comes around. And completely canceling baseball season? Don’t see it happening.

Pretty much everything else will re-open before large audience entertainment comes back. Maybe football and baseball can pay the bills with TV revenue playing in empty stadiums. I don't know how you keep the players healthy though. Maybe by enough testing, if they get that working well enough.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Playing for TV money only will be a huge problem for the NHL. Existing TV contracts don't provide near enough revenue. Existing player contracts would have to apply. Escrow would have to be at about 95%. :laugh: Would the players even be willing to play, risking injury, under those conditions?
I think at that point a new reality is put into place and both sides agree to a new economic model for the short term. Old ways of doing things get turned on their heads. TV money will likely look different and you probably put some sort of pay for view system in place. Just because there is a current TV contract doesn't mean it can't be replaced by mutual agreement. We are in unprecedented times and our landscape is just starting to shift.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think at that point a new reality is put into place and both sides agree to a new economic model for the short term. Old ways of doing things get turned on their heads. TV money will likely look different and you probably put some sort of pay for view system in place. Just because there is a current TV contract doesn't mean it can't be replaced by mutual agreement. We are in unprecedented times and our landscape is just starting to shift.

That is true. PPV would generate more $, at least as a temporary measure. Mutual agreement can get around a lot of contractual issues.

Can you PVR PPV content?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

A regular NHL season likely wouldn’t start to empty buildings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad