NHL Also Denies "Deal In Principle"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muleskinner

Jan 26, 2005
Marching to the sea
hockeymistress said:
I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a lot of speculation about closed door meetings and a lot of rumors and rumors about rumors. No press conference, and no information.

Maybe we will get "In fairness to the process, we have no comment at this time."

H.

hockeymistress....I think you have caught on to the game. I have the same feeling about tomorrow.

We MIGHT now something Sunday. ;)

Muleskinner

Jan 26, 2005
Marching to the sea
ResidentAlien said:
They better shut down all the bridges in Vancouver if that happens.

Seriously I think they are playing the denial card because it has not been voted on...

You to are probably right. A PA vote is something that I could see delaying any confirmation from the NHLPA.

hockeymistress

Oct 9, 2004
Muleskinner said:
You to are probably right. A PA vote is something that I could see delaying any confirmation from the NHLPA.

And a vote might show a large enough divide that days drag on while the union squabbles interntally, and when any type of agreement is confirmed, it's too late for a season.

Just because supposedly Mario and Wayne came in and got some rally power behind them doesn't mean they can automatically override Goodenow, speak on behalf of their entire membership and negotiate the entire CBA, accomplishing in 1 day what all those meetings failed to do in months.

Sorry to be a skeptic. Regardless of their *intentions* to save the season, it's got to be a huge task.

H.

ResidentAlien*

Do'h

In fact, reports af a deal being in place ahead of Saturday's meeting were premature at best, and at the worst - wrong

www.tsn.ca

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
ResidentAlien said:
Do'h

In fact, reports af a deal being in place ahead of Saturday's meeting were premature at best, and at the worst - wrong

www.tsn.ca

Seems that we have been sold a bill of goods. From that Article:

There are several owners upset with the league's final offer of a $42 million dollar salary cap, feeling it was too high.

"That number ($42.5 million) would have been a tough sell at a governor's meeting," said one high ranking team executive contacted by TSN.

On the players' side, there are those who felt betrayed by the union's decision to agree to a salary cap so late in the process, after vehemently refusing even to consider one previously.

Several participants on both sides of the divide have been discussing a "laddered" salary cap - one that would start at $42.5 million, and gradually work it's way up to $45 million, and those suggestions were mentioned frequently by those who felt there was a deal imminent.

But as of now, no such deal exists.

IkeaMonkey*

nomorekids said:
as mentioned in the other thread...that's media responsibility to react to understandable "denials." no reason to give up hope just yet.

Exactly. There is way too much on the table from all of the reports on various sites and the information I'm not allowed to talk about around here, for everything to just be dismissed. Give it til Monday.

IkeaMonkey*

Jaded-Fan said:
Seems that we have been sold a bill of goods. From that Article:

There are several owners upset with the league's final offer of a $42 million dollar salary cap, feeling it was too high.

"That number ($42.5 million) would have been a tough sell at a governor's meeting," said one high ranking team executive contacted by TSN.

On the players' side, there are those who felt betrayed by the union's decision to agree to a salary cap so late in the process, after vehemently refusing even to consider one previously.

Several participants on both sides of the divide have been discussing a "laddered" salary cap - one that would start at $42.5 million, and gradually work it's way up to $45 million, and those suggestions were mentioned frequently by those who felt there was a deal imminent.

But as of now, no such deal exists.

Gary also said at his press conference that he wouldnt rule out bringing a 45 mil number to the board of Governors if the players would meet them there.

peterthegreat21

Feb 15, 2005
Aurora, CO
dugh they r gonna deni it, that way if this thing doesnt fall through they dont have to say that they had a deal going when we r all disapointed after saturday

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
DynamoAO said:
Gary also said at his press conference that he wouldnt rule out bringing a 45 mil number to the board of Governors if the players would meet them there.

I am not discounting the possibility. But look at the tone of that article. It did not seem to be the parties just leaving an out if things fall through on a deal basically in place. It seemed to be high sources from both sides throwing a wet rag on a story that was spreading like wild fire as it was not close to being true. Reading between the lines, if those quotes are right in that story and the sources are indeed high from both sides, there are negotiations going on, things could break toward a solution, but things are not imminent as people have been reporting, not even close, though some negotiating on both sides wish it were so.

ResidentAlien*

Bobmack doesnt sound that positive anymore either

All this optimism was clearly misplaced on Friday. That isn't to say the NHL and NHLPA can't pull a rabbit out of the hat, but it's not nearly the slam dunk so many people are suggesting now that the two sides are going back to the table.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
My head hurts from all of this back and forth banter. :madfire:

I wish the damn media outlets reporting on this would shut the hell up and report FACTS, instead of reporting fallacies. All this hype could lead us to another fall as fans, and look at us all, waiting for crumbs and there still may be no season.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
I am not discounting the possibility. But look at the tone of that article. It did not seem to be the parties just leaving an out if things fall through on a deal basically in place. It seemed to be high sources from both sides throwing a wet rag on a story that was spreading like wild fire as it was not close to being true. Reading between the lines, if those quotes are right in that story and the sources are indeed high from both sides, there are negotiations going on, things could break toward a solution, but things are not imminent as people have been reporting, not even close, though some negotiating on both sides wish it were so.

Also, realize that any non-denial gives leverage to the other side in the negotiation. If you confirm that a deal may be near, the other side may tweak a clause or two, and you may be forced to accept it to avoid the backlash of being blamed if things fall through. If you on the other hand deny things and lower expectations, you keep all your leverage.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
kdb209 said:
Also, realize that any non-denial gives leverage to the other side in the negotiation. If you confirm that a deal may be near, the other side may tweak a clause or two, and you may be forced to accept it to avoid the backlash of being blamed if things fall through. If you on the other hand deny things and lower expectations, you keep all your leverage.

Both sides are throwing water on the story. So are they out-chess playing one another? Or the more likely scenerio, some in each group REALLY want this to happen so got ahead of themselves in leaks to the media?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Lady Rhian said:
My head hurts from all of this back and forth banter. :madfire:

I wish the damn media outlets reporting on this would shut the hell up and report FACTS, instead of reporting fallacies. All this hype could lead us to another fall as fans, and look at us all, waiting for crumbs and there still may be no season.

I'm more than irritated at the idea ESPN, THN, and a myriad of reputable hockey insiders would all but confirm a sure deal having based their information on nothing but heresay.

Let's hope there's more to this.

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
EroCaps said:
I'm more than irritated at the idea ESPN, THN, and a myriad of reputable hockey insiders would all but confirm a sure deal having based their information on nothing but heresay.

me too.

even guys like Bob McK pretty much were saying a deal is done, and now this. What the hell is going on?

:banghead:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Simple question really, has McKenzie, Hradek, Melrose, Pang or anybody of note come out and say that this is not a done deal? If this wasn't a done deal I think one of them would come out and say so, no??

You doubters are depriving yourself all of a great moment in a season filled with bad ones.

It's done, there will be NHL hockey. Enjoy the moment.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
EroCaps said:

I just can't believe this. I told myself tonight, when I first read about it on here, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Then, I turned the TV on, and ESPN was going on and on about a 28 game season, and I really thought this was done. Reading that this may have been premature, and that the deal isn't done, is really angering me. Shame on these networks, for reporting this, if there is no truth to it. They look like fools and lose all credibility with me.

Cripes, they are making laughing stalks of us all- owners, players, fans, and media outlets. :banghead:

Sorry, just had to rant. Thanks for replying.. :)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
WhalerBoy said:
me too.

even guys like Bob McK pretty much were saying a deal is done, and now this. What the hell is going on?

:banghead:

This is what I think: The NHL and NHLPA got together, and FINALLY agreed on a number for a salary cap. Most of the other issues (arbitration, UFA age, rookie contracts) have likely been dealt with a while back or aren't considered major hurdles, so they figure they have the makings of a deal.

Somebody gets excited, and starts flapping their gums to people they shouldn't before this fledgling deal has been formally voted on by both camps...and chaos ensues.

Both sides slap down the media as best they can, at least until this thing gets through the proper channels before they can call their presser and start passing out party hats.

It would be utter insanity for this to fall apart now, they've come too far and bled too much. We're going to see NHL hockey in March '05, count on it. It might not be until sunday, but this deal is going to happen.

It's gonna make my day to watch Goodenow have to put on a fake smile and shake Bettman's hand for the cameras. Assuming he even shows up, of course.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lou is God said:
Simple question really, has McKenzie, Hradek, Melrose, Pang or anybody of note come out and say that this is not a done deal? If this wasn't a done deal I think one of them would come out and say so, no??

You doubters are depriving yourself all of a great moment in a season filled with bad ones.

As has been pointed out Lou, Hradek and the others have stepped back in their language, taking the unusual steps of changing language in several stories once posted. Doesn't that tell you specifically that their sources were saying 'whooooa, slow down Partner'?

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Lou is God said:

No offense, but after spreading their goodies for all of us to enjoy, they're probably all in bed, wondering how they're going to keep us fans tuned in tommorrow, when a deal isn't done.

I am just disgusted right now. Before, it was the owners and players that disgusted me, but now, some of the media (I don't not mean this as a slam to all media people, who have not hyped the fans tonight) with this crap.

Again, I am sorry, I am just venting, not angry at any posters. :)

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Lou is God said:

McKenzie's latest:http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=115420&hubName=nhl

Bust out the hard liquor, Lou!

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Lou is God said:

McKenzie basically said on TSN that the whole thing was still prospective. I do hope you're right, though.

There were days of speculation that never made major news networks, why these guys would spend hours covering a done deal w/no legit source is completely a mystery to me. Either it was totally irresponsible, or we'll hear more. Wow.

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Digger12 said:
This is what I think: The NHL and NHLPA got together, and FINALLY agreed on a number for a salary cap. Most of the other issues (arbitration, UFA age, rookie contracts) have likely been dealt with a while back or aren't considered major hurdles, so they figure they have the makings of a deal.

Somebody gets excited, and starts flapping their gums to people they shouldn't before this fledgling deal has been formally voted on by both camps...and chaos ensues.

Both sides slap down the media as best they can, at least until this thing gets through the proper channels before they can call their presser and start passing out party hats.

It would be utter insanity for this to fall apart now, they've come too far and bled too much. We're going to see NHL hockey in March '05, count on it. It might not be until sunday, but this deal is going to happen.

It's gonna make my day to watch Goodenow have to put on a fake smile and shake Bettman's hand for the cameras. Assuming he even shows up, of course.

this is what my wish is too, and it makes sense to me. trouble is, ive been down this road before, had a couple of BAD burns.

still, i gotta believe a season is on

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Lady Rhian said:
No offense, but after spreading their goodies for all of us to enjoy, they're probably all in bed, wondering how they're going to keep us fans tuned in tommorrow, when a deal isn't done.

I am just disgusted right now. Before, it was the owners and players that disgusted me, but now, some of the media (I don't not mean this as a slam to all media people, who have not hyped the fans tonight) with this crap.

Again, I am sorry, I am just venting, not angry at any posters. :)
I'm saying a deal is done, the denials we are hearing might be for legal or pr reasons or even make it easier for them to get the full deal signed and delivered.

There is no way in hell that they are going to not get this done and allow a PR nightmare that wouldn't even compare to the one on Wednesday, plus throw in the revelation that ESPN's doubt's about their future with the NHL if there is a cancellation as a even more motivating factor to get this done.

Again it's done boys, there will be NHL hockey and in the imfamous words of Marshall Tucker, "Can't You See"! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad