GDT: NHL All-Star Game | Jan 26, 8pm ET │ NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I found it amusing that Tavares was booed just as loudly as Crosby and Letang. I didn't know his decision not to sign there was an issue to anyone outside of the Islanders.

The other thing I found funny were people on social media that said Sid faked being sick so he could "rest" for this game. Because the skills competition is so grueling and the game itself is quite physically taxing. He REALLY wanted that Honda Passport.

Anyway I actually enjoyed this game. Probably just going into it with the expectation that it's basically just a televised pick up game for charity. Loved Sid, Letang and Barzal.

Also thought the jerseys looked way better than I thought they would. I was worried the mostly black and white would be dreary but it actually looked fine. Even better than any bad combination of garish colors. In a way the format was pretty smart from a sales perspective, I'd think fans would be more likely to want the jerseys that still feature their team's logo prominently even if it is for the All Stars.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Why do I get the feeling that Gary Bettman is always lying? I can't trust anything he says.

He's a lawyer, they get paid a lot of money to uh ..... avoid the truth.

Px49.gif

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
There were rumors that San Jose was one of the major contenders to sign him, so I'm guessing he was booed because he didn't sign there. I actually expected him to sign in San Jose when he left the Islanders.
Not just rumors, they were high bidder and he turned them down too.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
My experience in Europe is that English language radio/pop music is all the radio plays. Plus, many many English language shows play on TV with local language subtitles.

English is by far more understood in general in Europe and and Asia than any other languages are understood in the West/North America.

Doesn't really apply to Russia though. English language doesn't have that strong foothold in there, for understandable reasons. Same with former Soviet countries. But other than, in Finland for an example, it's a lot harder to NOT find people that speak English. Especially in the Southern Finland. I guess the same could be said about other Nordic countries. Then there are obviously countries like Germany, France and Italy for an example that are more 50/50 (not factual numbers). Harder to find English service as a tourist at least.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I actually enjoyed the games. I was socializing with family and only half paying attention, but to treat it like a real game is your fault to begin with. Talk with some people look up a 2-0 go back to socializing etc. A good event for the background.

I like the the 3 on 3 format.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I enjoyed it too. The thing I like about 3 on 3 is that the open ice seems to have upped the intensity and energy levels for both teams. Well that and the $1 million prize. But when it was 5 on 5, it was easy not to skate around and try when there's little room. It's a lot easier to put in more effort with the amount of open ice there is in 3 on 3.

Reactions: Viqsi

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
They should make the ASG decide home ice in the finals like baseball.

It’s easier for baseball because the game itself boils down to a pitcher and a batter. Neither one needs to “go easy” to avoid hurting another player in an exhibition game. The pitcher is going to throw as well as he can and the batter is going to try to hit it as well as he can.

NFL, NHL and even NBA all-star games will never be as “real” as the MLB can be because they would all require guys to actually play physically “hard” against each other and eventually you’d end up with injuries. Who wants to risk McDavid going down for the season from a hard hit in a mid season exhibition game?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Why was Tavares booed in SJ? He has no history with that team

I guess people don't like feeling used. If you take the rumors for fact, SJ offered Tavares 13M a year, so right or wrong it seems like Tavares played SJ(and by proxy it's fan getting their hopes up) to increase his leverage in Toronto

The whole come in and kiss Tavares ring thing Tavares and his agent did probably wasn't the best thing to do from a PR standpoint

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Man even after a day to reflect, it was garbage.

Terrible venue/crowd (fans booing allstars lol); SJ/NHL promo team needs to be upgraded. Terrible games. Terrible skills comp.

I'm but a single fan, but never watching this format again. Anyone who thinks this weekend was a success needs to broaden their horizon.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
And once again, just like in the 2016 finals, the camera was at that lower and much better position. If NBC can have a camera close enough to the rink, so we actually can SEE the players.... why the hell do the shark regular broadcast look like the camera is way up in the rafters?

hate the sharks local broadcast, small stickmen skating around, can't see a damn thing. so far from the action, no feel for the speed and action of the game, boring !

so what is the deal here?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Barzal, Sid and Letang were magical.

Love that Sid wanted Barz on his line.

I actually would have preferred Barzal played with Cam Atkinson. When playing with Crosby I think Barzal sort of realized he isn't the driver and should be the passenger. If Barzal played with a lesser player I am guessing we would see more end to end rushes or him dangling the puck in the offensive zone for like 30 seconds

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
this year it was all about marketing good old Sid. NHL did its best to remind the world about the sport.

now please lets not have this event for a year now

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Lol, what?

Someone actually asserted that Burns was garbage?

Yes some kings fan, page 8 and 12. On page 16ish someone also compared Burns and Gibsons to pearl harbor. Went back and looked but seems like some of it was cleaned up tbh haha. The 'few pages' is a bit hyperbole but he was being singled out with Gibson

Thread was 58 pages last night. Some oiler fans wanted all the sharks players off the ice. So much venom for an event the community has declared pointless

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I enjoyed it too. The thing I like about 3 on 3 is that the open ice seems to have upped the intensity and energy levels for both teams. Well that and the $1 million prize. But when it was 5 on 5, it was easy not to skate around and try when there's little room. It's a lot easier to put in more effort with the amount of open ice there is in 3 on 3.
I liked it better when they had the all star team play the Stanley cup champions from the previous year. It felt more like a real game, this format is stupid and boring.

PSUPEN

Apr 1, 2013
this year it was all about marketing good old Sid. NHL did its best to remind the world about the sport.

I don't think he needed marketing. Don't have to like him but he happens to be good. I felt they marketed the young players with great skills and bright futures. Would you like a little food with your whine?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

We need to keep this All Star game going. Crosby needs that Marketing.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
We need to keep this All Star game going. Crosby needs that Marketing.

I hope one day these NHL guys find a more exciting way to promote the league.

The current all star format is too much of a show and the attempts to sell the league to the world are possibly too aggressive.

I mean just look at this. The golden boy, a car, a million dollars and the MPV award. Its easy to see that its all staged.

cut.jpg

Reactions: The Crypto Guy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad