GDT: NHL All-Star Game | Jan 26, 8pm ET │ NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I hope one day these NHL guys find a more exciting way to promote the league.

The current all star format is too much of a show and the attempts to sell the league to the world are possibly too aggressive.

I mean just look at this. The golden boy, a car, a million dollars and the MPV award. Its easy to see that its all staged.

cut.jpg
You dropped some salt on the ground, might want to clean that up.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Man even after a day to reflect, it was garbage.

Terrible venue/crowd (fans booing allstars lol); SJ/NHL promo team needs to be upgraded. Terrible games. Terrible skills comp.

I'm but a single fan, but never watching this format again. Anyone who thinks this weekend was a success needs to broaden their horizon.

Do Leafs fans not realize how hypocritical it is of them to keep whining about this, when their fans target and boo their own players?

Reactions: PWJunior

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
twas only one time

So, Toronto fans, “only one time” targeted and booed a player on their own team, which makes things okay. All is forgiven. It was only one time.

But San Jose fans, who booed an opposing player, who led them on in UFA in order to gain leverage in contract negotiations with the team he actually wanted to sign with, are terrible, and ruined the whole event?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I actually would have preferred Barzal played with Cam Atkinson. When playing with Crosby I think Barzal sort of realized he isn't the driver and should be the passenger. If Barzal played with a lesser player I am guessing we would see more end to end rushes or him dangling the puck in the offensive zone for like 30 seconds

Maybe he worked better as a complement, as opposed to
the go-to. They fed off of each other so well. They told him to carry the puck, do his thing, then get it back to them.

The two 13s would’ve been confusing anyway.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I just used Cam Atkinson as an example, I basically was just saying somebody who demands to control the puck a bit less. All that being said while he probably would be more noticeable showing off his stuff on his own line, chances of 6 points would be much harder

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So, Toronto fans, “only one time” targeted and booed a player on their own team, which makes things okay. All is forgiven. It was only one time.

But San Jose fans, who booed an opposing player, who led them on in UFA in order to gain leverage in contract negotiations with the team he actually wanted to sign with, are terrible, and ruined the whole event?
how did he lead them on? that's a reach. What's funny is the Sharks fans cheered Matthews paying tribute to a guy who decided to leave their team during free agency

Reactions: Jozay

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I just used Cam Atkinson as an example, I basically was just saying somebody who demands to control the puck a bit less. All that being said while he probably would be more noticeable showing off his stuff on his own line, chances of 6 points would be much harder

His IQ with Sid and Letang stood out to me; they always knew where eachother was.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe he worked better as a complement, as opposed to
the go-to. They fed off of each other so well. They told him to carry the puck, do his thing, then get it back to them.

To the fans, perhaps. I doubt both of them wearing the same number would have caused Barzal and Atkinson to be confused. :sarcasm:

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

"How am I on a breakaway when I'm standing in my own zone?! I'm so confused!"

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
how did he lead them on? that's a reach. What's funny is the Sharks fans cheered Matthews paying tribute to a guy who decided to leave their team during free agency
He "decided" to leave because Toronto offered him an extra year and over 8 million more total. He came back to Wilson with Toronto's offer and Wilson told him to enjoy being a Leaf.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He "decided" to leave because Toronto offered him an extra year and over 8 million more total. He came back to Wilson with Toronto's offer and Wilson told him to enjoy being a Leaf.
isn't Tavares choosing to go play for his home team for less money more noble than Marleau choosing to leave their organization for more money?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
SJ fans booing tavares as if he left the sharks was hilarious because it made no sense. Cherry on top was cheering for Marleau who actually left the team. God bless em.

Reactions: Metroid

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Marleau is far different. He was offered notably less money ($5M) and term (2Y) by San Jose who had already budged on their initial offer of 1 year, and he was obviously not worth the contract that Toronto gave him. He also handled the entire situation like a professional. San Jose has a knowledgeable and passionate fan base who knows the details of these situations and they make their feelings known accordingly. They wouldn’t boo target and boo Marleau and they sure as hell wouldn’t target and boo their own players while they still play for them. The two situations are not even remotely comparable so we can dead that right now.

Now with regards to Tavares, he led Sharks billionaire Hasso Plattner from Germany to LA to help make a pitch, made sure that the entire LeBron-esque charade was public, every team’s management group was photographed, and the figures of each contract offer were publicly known. Then he took roughly $15M less than San Jose offered him, and turned around and said that he only ever seriously considered Toronto and Long Island.

He used San Jose’s contract offer as leverage to gain a larger contract offer from Toronto. He led them on when he was never seriously interested in them. It’s not much different from a woman who leads on a man in order to get another man jealous.

What Toronto fans need to realize is that people don’t hate Tavares for what he did, or for the fact that he chose Toronto in particular. People hate Tavares because of how he handled the entire situation.

6 years from now, if Auston Matthews reaches UFA and mimics the Tavares situation entirely, ultimately leading on San Jose and signing with Arizona, and posting photos of himself in Coyotes pajamas, I can promise you that Toronto fans will treat him with just as much vitriol. Maybe even more, considering the fact that they’re already willing to boo their own players.

isn't Tavares choosing to go play for his home team for less money more noble than Marleau choosing to leave their organization for more money?

The entire Tavares UFA charade that he orchestrated was the exact opposite of noble.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Marleau is far different. He was offered notably less money ($5M) and term (2Y) by San Jose who had already budged on their initial offer of 1 year, and he was obviously not worth the contract that Toronto gave him. He also handled the entire situation like a professional. San Jose has a knowledgeable and passionate fan base who knows the details of these situations and they make their feelings known accordingly. They wouldn’t boo target and boo Marleau and they sure as hell wouldn’t target and boo their own players while they still play for them. The two situations are not even remotely comparable so we can dead that right now.

Now with regards to Tavares, he led Sharks billionaire Hasso Plattner from Germany to LA to help make a pitch, made sure that the entire LeBron-esque charade was public, every team’s management group was photographed, and the figures of each contract offer were publicly known. Then he took roughly $15M less than San Jose offered him, and turned around and said that he only ever seriously considered Toronto and Long Island.

He used San Jose’s contract offer as leverage to gain a larger contract offer from Toronto. He led them on when he was never seriously interested in them. It’s not much different from a woman who leads on a man in order to get another man jealous.

What Toronto fans need to realize is that people don’t hate Tavares for what he did, or for the fact that he chose Toronto in particular. People hate Tavares because of how he handled the entire situation.

6 years from now, if Auston Matthews reaches UFA and mimics the Tavares situation entirely, ultimately leading on San Jose and signing with Arizona, and posting photos of himself in Coyotes pajamas, I can promise you that Toronto fans will treat him with just as much vitriol. Maybe even more, considering the fact that they’re already willing to boo their own players.

The entire Tavares UFA charade that he orchestrated was the exact opposite of noble.
yes, the Marleau and Tavares situations aren't comparable. Marleau was a Shark who decided to chase money and play for the Leafs. Tavares was an Islander, who decided to leave money on the table to play for the Leafs. Booing one is a hell of a lot dumber than booing the other.

Yes, Leafs fans would be upset if Matthews leaves. But the Sharks are not the Leafs in this scenario. I don't see Boston or Tampa or Dallas fans still upset months later about Tavares not signing with them. The Sharks management was pleased that Tavares even considered meeting with the team, so you probably should take that as a compliment as well.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
yes, the Marleau and Tavares situations aren't comparable. Marleau was a Shark who decided to chase money and play for the Leafs. Tavares was an Islander, who decided to leave money on the table to play for the Leafs. Booing one is a hell of a lot dumber than booing the other.

Yes, Leafs fans would be upset if Matthews leaves. But the Sharks are not the Leafs in this scenario. I don't see Boston or Tampa or Dallas fans still upset months later about Tavares not signing with them. The Sharks management was pleased that Tavares even considered meeting with the team, so you probably should take that as a compliment as well.

Yes, I agree. Booing their franchise player who played over one thousand games with them and signed with a team that offered him far more money and job security would be much dumber than booing a prima donna who led them on. Neither would be anywhere near as bad as targeting and booing your own players.

The difference with San Jose is that Tavares acted like he was seriously considering them and the reports were that he would probably go there if not Toronto or LI. With those other teams, none of their fans ever really felt like they had a chance.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yes, I agree. Booing their franchise player who played over one thousand games with them and signed with a team that offered him far more money and job security would be much dumber than booing a prima donna who led them on. Neither would be anywhere near as bad as targeting and booing your own players.

The difference with San Jose is that Tavares acted like he was seriously considering them and the reports were that he would probably go there if not Toronto or LI. With those other teams, none of their fans ever really felt like they had a chance.
why are you so intent on deflecting by bringing up Winnipeg fans booing Laine for failing to clear the puck? I don't like that either.

Tavares was seriously considering them, and every team he met with. He narrowed things down later in the week. Blaming him for choosing to sign with a different team when you thought he'd pick your Sharks is silly, because that's your fault.

"I want to thank John Tavares and Pat Brisson for their interest in the San Jose Sharks and professionalism throughout this negotiation process. While we are naturally disappointed in the final decision, it's extremely heartening to know that the top players in this league consistently view San Jose as a place they want to play."
-your GM on Tavares

Reactions: LeafsNation75

member 300185

I have to be honest. I think that was the worst all-star format I have ever seen. Total BS.

2 ten minute halves? Come on. There's no halves in hockey. Pure garbage and the 3 on 3 excitement wore off pretty damn quick.

I didnt even watch the last game. I only stayed up to watch Matthews and Tavares play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad