GDT: NHL All-Star Game | Jan 26, 8pm ET │ NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Marleau is far different. He was offered notably less money ($5M) and term (2Y) by San Jose who had already budged on their initial offer of 1 year, and he was obviously not worth the contract that Toronto gave him. He also handled the entire situation like a professional. San Jose has a knowledgeable and passionate fan base who knows the details of these situations and they make their feelings known accordingly. They wouldn’t boo target and boo Marleau and they sure as hell wouldn’t target and boo their own players while they still play for them. The two situations are not even remotely comparable so we can dead that right now.

Now with regards to Tavares, he led Sharks billionaire Hasso Plattner from Germany to LA to help make a pitch, made sure that the entire LeBron-esque charade was public, every team’s management group was photographed, and the figures of each contract offer were publicly known. Then he took roughly $15M less than San Jose offered him, and turned around and said that he only ever seriously considered Toronto and Long Island.

He used San Jose’s contract offer as leverage to gain a larger contract offer from Toronto. He led them on when he was never seriously interested in them. It’s not much different from a woman who leads on a man in order to get another man jealous.

What Toronto fans need to realize is that people don’t hate Tavares for what he did, or for the fact that he chose Toronto in particular. People hate Tavares because of how he handled the entire situation.

6 years from now, if Auston Matthews reaches UFA and mimics the Tavares situation entirely, ultimately leading on San Jose and signing with Arizona, and posting photos of himself in Coyotes pajamas, I can promise you that Toronto fans will treat him with just as much vitriol. Maybe even more, considering the fact that they’re already willing to boo their own players.

The entire Tavares UFA charade that he orchestrated was the exact opposite of noble.
It's a business. Tavares negotiated in his own best interest. Teams do it all the time. It's not personal.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
It's a business. Tavares negotiated in his own best interest. Teams do it all the time. It's not personal.

Must be a Leafs fan, "it's a business." No wonder their home crowd stinks, can't even hear them unless they're booing Gardiner.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marleau is far different. He was offered notably less money ($5M) and term (2Y) by San Jose who had already budged on their initial offer of 1 year, and he was obviously not worth the contract that Toronto gave him. He also handled the entire situation like a professional. San Jose has a knowledgeable and passionate fan base who knows the details of these situations and they make their feelings known accordingly. They wouldn’t boo target and boo Marleau and they sure as hell wouldn’t target and boo their own players while they still play for them. The two situations are not even remotely comparable so we can dead that right now.

Now with regards to Tavares, he led Sharks billionaire Hasso Plattner from Germany to LA to help make a pitch, made sure that the entire LeBron-esque charade was public, every team’s management group was photographed, and the figures of each contract offer were publicly known. Then he took roughly $15M less than San Jose offered him, and turned around and said that he only ever seriously considered Toronto and Long Island.

He used San Jose’s contract offer as leverage to gain a larger contract offer from Toronto. He led them on when he was never seriously interested in them. It’s not much different from a woman who leads on a man in order to get another man jealous.

What Toronto fans need to realize is that people don’t hate Tavares for what he did, or for the fact that he chose Toronto in particular. People hate Tavares because of how he handled the entire situation.

6 years from now, if Auston Matthews reaches UFA and mimics the Tavares situation entirely, ultimately leading on San Jose and signing with Arizona, and posting photos of himself in Coyotes pajamas, I can promise you that Toronto fans will treat him with just as much vitriol. Maybe even more, considering the fact that they’re already willing to boo their own players.
I think calling the Tavares signing LeBron-esque is completely wrong. You do know that TSN or Sportsnet at least in Canada did not give him some hour special where he would announce where he would sign, the way ESPN did that for LeBron when he signed in Miami. Also so you don't bring it up Tavares announcing his decision on Twitter is not even in the same league as to what LeBron did.

As for Tavares meeting with the Sharks prior to July 1 how is that any different than what Brad Richards did before he signed with the Rangers in July 2011? Unlike with Tavares everyone knew Richards was going to the Rangers months before he signed with them, however other teams still meet with him and wouldn't you say he used them for leverage? In fact I remember the Rangers didn't meet with Richards and were allowed to match any offers which would have been more than what they were offering.

Also when it comes to the Sharks fans booing Tavares because he signed with Toronto that didn't bother me and they were allowed to do that if it made them feel better. However I don't remember any Leafs fans booing Steven Stamkos the first time he played against the Leafs in Toronto after he re-signed with Tampa Bay prior to July 1, 2016. In fact since he re-signed for less of an AAV than what Toronto was offering him, you can say he strung the Leafs along because he had no intention to leave the Lightning. Plus booing Stamkos would have been stupid since he was never property of the Leafs to begin with the way Tavares was never property of the Sharks.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
I love the salt. I absolutely booed a few players.

Why? Because I don't like them.

Why don't I like them? Because they are really good hockey players that don't play for my team.

Do I hate them and wish ill will on them? Absolutely not.

It is all tongue in cheek. Doughty had a big ol' grin on his face when he was getting booed. This is a game, have some fun ppl!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even if the boos did bother him, what did you expect? Him to tweet about how they're a bunch of meanies and he hated his time there this past weekend?
He didn't have to tweet anything at all and moved on, although I guess that was his way to show it didn't bother him.

However after Tavares signed in Toronto I remember Doug Wilson had this statement and thanked Tavares for meeting with them and he didn't need to say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->