NHL 24 Discussion

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I remember back in the day EA used to fly in some people to visit their studios and preview/test the game.

I assume they don’t do that anymore?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I remember back in the day EA used to fly in some people to visit their studios and preview/test the game.

lol i think more and more videogame companies skip the bta testing now.. instead they roll it out and spend all year fixing it.

Reactions: Koivu11

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Of course not. Because the game is ass and they dont want people knowing that before it’s released.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I’ve said this in other threads, but ultimate team ruined sports games. It’s as much on the people who shell out money for that shit as it is on EA for making games with minimal changes. Lots of good ideas that will never be heard here though.

I would love to play EASHL but it just doesn’t have people playing it. Thought crossplay would help with that. NHL 14 is the last game I genuinely enjoyed from this franchise and a lot of that was because of EASHL which was a lot of fun back then.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
ill Probably be gifted this for Christmas even though I have yet to play 23,22,21..

I’ve said this in other threads, but ultimate team ruined sports games. It’s as much on the people who shell out money for that shit as it is on EA for making games with minimal changes. Lots of good ideas that will never be heard here though.

I would love to play EASHL but it just doesn’t have people playing it. Thought crossplay would help with that. NHL 14 is the last game I genuinely enjoyed from this franchise and a lot of that was because of EASHL which was a lot of fun back then.

I never understood the appeal of UT. You can’t ’build’ your favorite custom team and port them over in a dynasty mode?

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
ill Probably be gifted this for Christmas even though I have yet to play 23,22,21..

I never understood the appeal of UT. You can’t ’build’ your favorite custom team and port them over in a dynasty mode?
It’s more competitive. Playing against a very flawed CPU has its limitations

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I only care about EASHL because any game mode that has an AI skater is automatically dogshit.

Things I want to see:

1. Make improvements to the perks. So many of them are never used because they're garbage. Quick Pick sounds like a great perk for a Dman, it's not. It just causes your guy to knock the puck down in the slot for the opposition rather than actually intercept it. So many useless/nonfunctional ones: Big rig, in reverse, ankle breaker, shnipe, magnetic, yoink(good idea, but doesn't work with how broken stick lifts are), shutdown, crease crasher. All are terrible. If my team lines up against a squad and anyone on the other team is using any of these, we can pretty much chalk it up as a W.

2. Current playoff format sucks. Think of something better. The outdoor rink is glitchy as shit too. Always flashing lights and the pucks taking weird bounces in the corner and stuff. Just get it out of the game.

3. You should get twice the amount of CR/RP whatever metric they use if the other team backs out and you should lose twice the amount if you back out. Finish the game.

4. Ability to pick the server you want to play on. Tired of half of my team having 100+ ping if we get in the wrong server.

5. Fix the stick lift. It's one of the most common plays in hockey and the penalty rate for using it is way too high.

6. Biggest feature request that I have: ONE TOUCH PASSES! Like if you're holding the pass button when you receive a pass, you automatically direct a pass in the direction you're holding. They're so common in hockey, especially on the powerplay. They should be in the game. Make it tough er to aim like how the saucer pass has less aim assist to keep it balanced.

7. Can we have shots go in again? Is that possible? Every goal is either a breakaway, a one-timer, or a deflection. Shots from the point, even if there's a screen in front, do not go in. Even wristers from the slot are too low of a percentage.

8. Tying up players in front was a smart addition, but it doesn't work very well. Make strength control how long you hold a guy up so there's a reason to jack your strength stat way up and be mean in front of the net.

I could go on forever.
How do you do this? I play D in EASHL and I didn't even know this was a thing. Does it carry the same penalty risk as stick lifting?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
How do you do this? I play D in EASHL and I didn't even know this was a thing. Does it carry the same penalty risk as stick lifting?
It has to be pretty much right in front of the net, but you stand next to the player(usually someone going for a deflection) and HOLD the stick lift button. If you just press it once your guy will go for a stick lift and probably take a penalty.

It’s pretty rare to get a penalty using it. I’ve gotten one when I wasn’t watching the puck, I tied the guy up, but my team already had possession. They’ll call that interference. I’ve also gotten a penalty for tying a guy up far away from the net, which is kind of realistic. NHL refs will let a net front battle play out, but you can’t usually do that in the faceoff circle or something. Never gotten a slashingbof hooking call from it. It’s a useful tool, but they break out of it really quickly no matter how much bigger the Dman is.

Reactions: saskriders

EpiK Sandwich

Long time lurker, first time poster
Nov 21, 2020
Columbus, OH
The lack of hype or information about the last few years of these releases tells you all you need to know. Plus, any adjustments made are nerfed after "gamechangers" complain they cant LT and cross crease, so it gets patched and feels like the previous games after 10 days.

Wish GM mode was online so I could at least do franchise with friends, even if it was just for simming and roster managing.. but nah.

Hope the preorder HUT cards that are 84 overall look sick, bro.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Desperately want changes to the franchise mode. Right now its too easy to trade players and plug holes through FA. I want FAs to have presets that determine where they are willing to sign. Emulate real life by the FAs only wanting to sign based on money, location, cup window etc. The game also desperately needs trade clauses. These two changes would make franchise mode so much more challenging/engaging

They also need to totally revamp trade mechanics/trade values. Nothing about it is realistic right now.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
So we probably can expect the first reveal trailer in late August like last year? It sucks having to wait so long. I miss the days when the game released in early-mid September. Now it's October.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
guys it's the same shit of every year, this is what will happen.
So we probably can expect the first reveal trailer in late August like last year? It sucks having to wait so long. I miss the days when the game released in early-mid September. Now it's October.

As for features, expect nothing. I lost all my joy playing this unfortunately. Game play needs so many small fixes that they could do but don't care to.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I mostly play franchise and I’m really hoping that they enable roster editing/player moves while in a created franchise so that you can adjust for signings, extensions and trades or unrealistic player growth. You can add abilities, so you should be able to adjust attributes and player specifics such as salary, weight, height etc.
The ability to create players in franchise mode would be great so that you can keep up with KHL/College player signings. NMC/NTCs would be awesome to make it more realistic.
Also being able to delete potential draftees. If you are one who is really into creating a realistic draft. It’s frustrating when you spend time creating a custom roster to see 4 computer generated players ahead of Bedard in the draft.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Since they entered the PS4 era the game has been copy and paste with little updates to the shit engine.

The engine and UI need to be rebuilt from the ground up but they'll never do that, 24 will be copy and paste again with the same shitty slow UI and gameplay that doesn't feel realistic at all.

I used to have hope, but after getting burned for a decade EA and rammer can screw themselves, never buying it again.

Their sales are down and it's for a good reason.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
It’s just the laziness off ea

For franchise players, I would imagine it wouldn’t be hard to add NMC,NTC, arbitration, actual negotiation of contracts.

It’s little things that aren’t included that make franchise mode so stale

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
NHL 2004 had a cup celebration which was 1000x better than NHL 2023. How sad is that? :laugh:

Made you feel like you actually accomlished something.

I hate EA NHL as much as the next guy but this is pure nostalgia goggles man, that looks comical compared to today.

Todays is way better than that one, the game still sucks but I think some people just let nostalgia cloud their judgement of these old games. There were certain ones with better celebrations but not that one, maybe the 2K I think? One that let you control the players skating around with the cup

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I hate EA NHL as much as the next guy but this is pure nostalgia goggles man, that looks comical compared to today.

Todays is way better than that one, the game still sucks but I think some people just let nostalgia cloud their judgement of these old games. There were certain ones with better celebrations but not that one, maybe the 2K I think? One that let you control the players skating around with the cup

That's because you're looking at the graphics (and the faces look comical because it's a 2010 mod or something). The 2004 version with today's graphics would be a lot better. The music, and the player statistics at the end, is a big plus.

Fun fact about the music. The last song, "Shatterday" by Vendetta Red, would only play in the celebration when you won the cup. It wouldn't play in the menu, which was a nice touch.

Edit: Yeah, actually I'm getting 22 and 23 mixe up.. I thought there was still only a handful of players who got to lift the cup. It's very much improved in 23. Just wish the camera wouldn't freeze while you select who to pass it too.

In 22, there was 4-5 random guys lifting the cup, with the last one skating around with it two or three laps. That selfish prick, lol.

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
only way i buy the game again is if they can make it all editable like super mega baseball.
and I want endless franchise mode with tons of stats and around the league highlights and boxscores.
I want to be able to edit everything. all names etc.
ability to have custom leagues with all fictional player/teams and random attributes.
also I want goalie to have some play style separation. the goalies in EA games have felt scripted since around 1993. rebounds seem programmed to bounce off the pads in predetermined area.

Reactions: wings95 and Jysk

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Of course not. Because the game is ass and they dont want people knowing that before it’s released.

There has always been a non-disclosure agreement involved that meant you couldn't report on the trip until the game was released.

only way i buy the game again is if they can make it all editable like super mega baseball.
and I want endless franchise mode with tons of stats and around the league highlights and boxscores.
I want to be able to edit everything. all names etc.
ability to have custom leagues with all fictional player/teams and random attributes.
also I want goalie to have some play style separation. the goalies in EA games have felt scripted since around 1993. rebounds seem programmed to bounce off the pads in predetermined area.

No game with an NHL license will ever be as customizable as you want. That is never going to happen.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
There has always been a non-disclosure agreement involved that meant you couldn't report on the trip until the game was released.

No game with an NHL license will ever be as customizable as you want. That is never going to happen.
Yes but you could report that you went. They don’t invite people anymore.

MGrandalffi64FIN

Jul 3, 2023
I play mostly EASHL and sometimes Franchise mode. I have some ideas, which would make the gaming experience much better.

1) Line changes for eashl club games. So instead of one you could create two players and give them individual attributes like name, jersey number and look. And then in the club lobby menu you could choose the player builds for both player slots. So in the game when the first guy's stamina drops down he has to go to the bench in order to get back full stamina and the second guy can jump in. Line changes would give a new twist and strategy into the game. For example icing call would get more meaning when tired players have to stay on the ice and that gives the opposing team edge.

2) Get rid of hockey bags in woc. I like the idea of earning points or currency. And with those points you could buy the stuff you want from the hockey shop.

3) Get rid of outside rinks and the current playoffs format in eashl.

4) Let me save my line combos in franchise mode or give me an option to give orders to my head coach to put a specific player to the position I want. For example if somebodys preferred position is C, I still could give the coach an order to play that player always in right wing. Its so frustrating to adjust the line combos all over again when injured players come back to lineup.

5) NTC and NMC clauses for contract negotiations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad