NHL 24 Discussion

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Haven't kept up with this game (or video games at all, for that matter), but I always thought the skating looked and felt unnatural.

Do you guys think a "crossover" button would work? Make it LB, RB, or both? My thought would that you would rapidly tap the crossover button while moving the left stick to either side. Your player would gain speed, but with a wider turn radius. Leave clicking in the left stick for straight line speed. Might be a bit harder to make work without the puck/defensively.

And I kinda like the idea of "player classes". Maybe they could make this a separate game mode where players' skills are more unique and differentiated. A bit more arcade-like.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
And defensively, it would be nice to be able to tie a guy's stick up at all areas of the ice. Not just a sick lift, but maybe a quick animation where your player will take a quick step or two towards the man you want to cover, lift/tie up his stick, and maybe give a little shoulder bump. It could be a bump and release type of play. Alternatively, if you hold the button, you tie your guy up a little longer, but risk a penalty. Could be used in desperation situations like back doors. I was always sick of being in position, but my player would just watch the pass go right through him. Or have a button to intercept passes. Make it so you'd have to time it near perfectly.

Last game I played was 20, so basing all these thoughts off that gameplay.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I only care about EASHL because any game mode that has an AI skater is automatically dogshit.

Things I want to see:

1. Make improvements to the perks. So many of them are never used because they're garbage. Quick Pick sounds like a great perk for a Dman, it's not. It just causes your guy to knock the puck down in the slot for the opposition rather than actually intercept it. So many useless/nonfunctional ones: Big rig, in reverse, ankle breaker, shnipe, magnetic, yoink(good idea, but doesn't work with how broken stick lifts are), shutdown, crease crasher. All are terrible. If my team lines up against a squad and anyone on the other team is using any of these, we can pretty much chalk it up as a W.

2. Current playoff format sucks. Think of something better. The outdoor rink is glitchy as shit too. Always flashing lights and the pucks taking weird bounces in the corner and stuff. Just get it out of the game.

3. You should get twice the amount of CR/RP whatever metric they use if the other team backs out and you should lose twice the amount if you back out. Finish the game.

4. Ability to pick the server you want to play on. Tired of half of my team having 100+ ping if we get in the wrong server.

5. Fix the stick lift. It's one of the most common plays in hockey and the penalty rate for using it is way too high.

6. Biggest feature request that I have: ONE TOUCH PASSES! Like if you're holding the pass button when you receive a pass, you automatically direct a pass in the direction you're holding. They're so common in hockey, especially on the powerplay. They should be in the game. Make it tough er to aim like how the saucer pass has less aim assist to keep it balanced.

7. Can we have shots go in again? Is that possible? Every goal is either a breakaway, a one-timer, or a deflection. Shots from the point, even if there's a screen in front, do not go in. Even wristers from the slot are too low of a percentage.

8. Tying up players in front was a smart addition, but it doesn't work very well. Make strength control how long you hold a guy up so there's a reason to jack your strength stat way up and be mean in front of the net.

I could go on forever.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why can't I give out a NTC or NMC?

Why can't I put an injured player on LTIR?

Why can't I become the owner? You can do it in NBA 2K?

Why can't I hire real coaches? You can in NBA 2K

Why can't I actually meet with a player during free agency? You can in NBA 2K

If my be a pro player is a free agent why can't my team mates, and other players from other teams try to recruit me? Again it happens in NBA 2K.

Why can't we get the draft combine in be a pro? It's happened in NBA 2K.

NBA 2K blows the NHL games away because they have every aspect of a franchise covered.

In 2K 15 your be a pro even went through pre draft interviews with teams.

That's 8 years ago

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Just make BAP remotely respectable.

Bring BACK the option to play more than 2-5 f***ing games before the Draft, that's a f***ing joke.

I should be able to play internationally for my Country.

Add more realistic contract negotiations and why are there only four teams trying to sign me as a 25 year old 80 goal scorer exactly? Lol.

NCAA would be awesome.

Draft combine, more in depth interviews instead of repeated garbage.

These are all very basic requests.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I only care about EASHL because any game mode that has an AI skater is automatically dogshit.

Things I want to see:

1. Make improvements to the perks. So many of them are never used because they're garbage. Quick Pick sounds like a great perk for a Dman, it's not. It just causes your guy to knock the puck down in the slot for the opposition rather than actually intercept it. So many useless/nonfunctional ones: Big rig, in reverse, ankle breaker, shnipe, magnetic, yoink(good idea, but doesn't work with how broken stick lifts are), shutdown, crease crasher. All are terrible. If my team lines up against a squad and anyone on the other team is using any of these, we can pretty much chalk it up as a W.

2. Current playoff format sucks. Think of something better. The outdoor rink is glitchy as shit too. Always flashing lights and the pucks taking weird bounces in the corner and stuff. Just get it out of the game.

3. You should get twice the amount of CR/RP whatever metric they use if the other team backs out and you should lose twice the amount if you back out. Finish the game.

4. Ability to pick the server you want to play on. Tired of half of my team having 100+ ping if we get in the wrong server.

5. Fix the stick lift. It's one of the most common plays in hockey and the penalty rate for using it is way too high.

6. Biggest feature request that I have: ONE TOUCH PASSES! Like if you're holding the pass button when you receive a pass, you automatically direct a pass in the direction you're holding. They're so common in hockey, especially on the powerplay. They should be in the game. Make it tough er to aim like how the saucer pass has less aim assist to keep it balanced.

7. Can we have shots go in again? Is that possible? Every goal is either a breakaway, a one-timer, or a deflection. Shots from the point, even if there's a screen in front, do not go in. Even wristers from the slot are too low of a percentage.

8. Tying up players in front was a smart addition, but it doesn't work very well. Make strength control how long you hold a guy up so there's a reason to jack your strength stat way up and be mean in front of the net.

I could go on forever.
These are all great.

I would also like them to get rid of the stupid bags. They are completely random and dumb. Instead you should earn “points” or however you want to classify it and use the points to unlock the equipment

Want a jersey tuck ? That’s 25 points, want a mirror visor that’s 100 points instead of leaving it to the random generator

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Things I want to see:

I could go on forever.
They exist. You have to learn how to master pass cancelation and aim manually. I don't think it's that much of a twitchy skill, but you see them used a lot in Clubs.

I would replace that request with area passes, which also get used a lot in the NHL. The only ones that currently exist in the game are the Omaha play and the RB chip ahead. You should have this ability to lob a puck into an open area.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
They exist. You have to learn how to master pass cancelation and aim manually. I don't think it's that much of a twitchy skill, but you see them used a lot in Clubs.

I would replace that request with area passes, which also get used a lot in the NHL. The only ones that currently exist in the game are the Omaha play and the RB chip ahead. You should have this ability to lob a puck into an open area.
They do not exist. You can do a quick pass, but not a true one touch pass. I’ve played thousands of clubs games in the past three years. It doesn’t exist. Area passes, on the other hand, do exist in some capacity. Just have to master the saucer.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They do not exist. You can do a quick pass, but not a true one touch pass. I’ve played thousands of clubs games in the past three years. It doesn’t exist.
I can target a pass before I even receive it. On the stick, off the stick. It's a transition play. They can technically work in the OZ, but it's more difficult to anticipate the routes your teammates are taking.

What do you define as a touch pass?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I can target a pass before I even receive it. On the stick, off the stick. It's a transition play. What do you define as a touch pass?
Yes, you can aim a pass and get rid of it relatively quickly, but your guy will still possess it for a bit. I’m talking like a deflection where you never truly have possession, you just bump it immediately to a new location.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes, you can aim a pass and get rid of it relatively quickly, but your guy will still possess it for a bit. I’m talking like a deflection where you never truly have possession, you just bump it immediately to a new location.
You can get rid of it instantly. Less than a second.

Unless you're talking about tip passes, which don't really exist in the game.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Imagine if they did what 2k did with the celebration

It's always been crazy to me that they had that and 5-man goal celebrations with guys realistically skating in and hugging, high fiving, fist bumping, doing stick taps, etc. in 2010 while EA just couldn't be bothered with any of it

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
It's always been crazy to me that they had that and 5-man goal celebrations with guys realistically skating in and hugging, high fiving, fist bumping, doing stick taps, etc. in 2010 while EA just couldn't be bothered with any of it
It's honestly crazy. I found another clip from 2k and the all star competition. They even have locker room conversations with the team and coach lmao. ✂️ NHL 2k7 locker room conversation

Reactions: Frosty415

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Why can't I give out a NTC or NMC?

Why can't I put an injured player on LTIR?

Why can't I become the owner? You can do it in NBA 2K?

Why can't I hire real coaches? You can in NBA 2K

Why can't I actually meet with a player during free agency? You can in NBA 2K

If my be a pro player is a free agent why can't my team mates, and other players from other teams try to recruit me? Again it happens in NBA 2K.

Why can't we get the draft combine in be a pro? It's happened in NBA 2K.

NBA 2K blows the NHL games away because they have every aspect of a franchise covered.

In 2K 15 your be a pro even went through pre draft interviews with teams.

That's 8 years ago
I like scouting in NHL over NBA and the trade value bars are nice for trades that's about it. I do at least like playing a game of NHL over NBA though simply because you have more control over your player while in NBA there are a lot of locked animations.

ManixLiquid

Jun 3, 2010
I like scouting in NHL over NBA and the trade value bars are nice for trades that's about it. I do at least like playing a game of NHL over NBA though simply because you have more control over your player while in NBA there are a lot of locked animations.
Trade value needs to be lowered when ufa players have 1 year left on their contract. Even more so on trade deadline day. I don't have to pay premium assets for a soon-to-be UFA.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Id settle for the online verses servers not being complete ass. Literally every other mode runs smoothly for me. HUT, chel, one's whatever there's no lag. As soon as I hit a normal verses game online it's a mess

Reactions: savebyrichter94

EpiK Sandwich

Long time lurker, first time poster
Nov 21, 2020
Columbus, OH
If you would have told me that after NHL14, we’d be fed 10 years of garbage I’d have bet my PS3 that you’d be wrong.

And here I am.. with a PS5 now .. sad about the state of this hockey game and how I’ve wasted the last 10 years on this franchise. EA is Ass.
Same brother, same.. imagine a game with as much content as nhl04, with todays graphics, and gameplay like nhl14... nope! Hut cards!!!!

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Id settle for the online verses servers not being complete ass. Literally every other mode runs smoothly for me. HUT, chel, one's whatever there's no lag. As soon as I hit a normal verses game online it's a mess
Yea it’s ridiculous every game stops and starts, stutters etc but I can play chel no problem plus any other online game with no issues ever and it’s not just this year it’s been that way a while

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad