NHL 24 Discussion

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Could they at least make the goalies so they are not completely useless? That alone would improve the game a lot.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Game is so broken I don't know how they could possibly fix it.

Really wish they'd stop releasing a roster update and slapping a full price tag on it every year, and instead release one every couple of years with actual content and meaningful updates and improvements.

How you can roll out the same game every year and not actually fix any issues blows my mind.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I think I'm done with the franchise at this point. 23 was the first game I didn't buy since NHL 10 and I don't believe 24 will be any better.

If I had to bite though: I'd hope that NHL24 fixes BAP mode. They should bring back team practice/training, the all star game (add the skills competition), and international play. You should be able to negotiate contracts and host team meetings if you're a captain. Actual storylines like 2k has might be cool too.

Franchise mode should show more stats, you can only see the past 5 winners of each award but you should be able to see all of them. You should be able to retire jerseys, keep up with franchise records and add created players to draft classes. It'd also be cool if you could do more than 25 years.

And that's not even mentioning the gameplay. I play goalie I basically see both teams AI play with the puck and it's so painfully unrealistic that it's hard to even take the games seriously. Players don't cycle the puck properly, they don't position themselves properly, players always receive pucks on their backhands in an awkward position so you can't set up crisp passes. The developers and programmers need to watch real life games so they can actually create authentic gameplay

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
How about if you're playing a season mode game, they show you highlights of other games going on?
You can do this sort of thing in football manager. You can replay entire games that two other teams have played, or see the goals of the week. And they have 3D match engines as well.

Also, you can see active scores while you're playing the game and the standings automatically adjust as time goes on.

There are a lot of cool ideas that smaller developers include in their sports management games that EA can learn from. Will they ever implement them? Probably not. Also, NHL being on consoles is not an excuse, as Football Manager exists on both the newer gen XBOX and playstation.

Another potentially simple feature that really annoys me isn't included:

GENERATED PROSPECT FACES. Why are their faces blank in their player profile but the game can somehow randomize faces on the actual players? Like, have some sort of code that also includes their faces in their player profiles. Why the **** have we gone so long with these shadow figures in the player stats page?

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Oh, only 5 people can lift the cup? EA always doing things half assed. And the cup looks…black?
YEP! First thing I said when I played NHL 23 and won the Cup...that they messed up the lighting on it or something because it looks WAY more black/graphite than it does silver and shiny.

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
Random question but I haven't gotten EA NHL games in a few years. Do they ever have classic teams like the NBA 2k series? Or at least great players in the past like JR, Lindros, Pronger, etc?

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Random question but I haven't gotten EA NHL games in a few years. Do they ever have classic teams like the NBA 2k series? Or at least great players in the past like JR, Lindros, Pronger, etc?
They have ”Alumni teams” for each NHL organization except Vegas and Seattle*, which are basically the same as NBA 2K’s ”All-Time” teams, so some of the best players to ever play for that organization.

*Vegas and Seattle are replaced by Whalers, Nordiques and North-Stars

Then they have the ”All-Time” teams:
All-Time All Stars
All-Time Eastern Conference
All-Time Western Conference
All-Time Grit

They do not have the the classic teams and uniforms like 2k has tho.

Reactions: donghabs98

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
problem with EA games is they release one every year with minor changes best option would be to release a game every 2 or 3 years then you would see big changes but yes i know that will never happen people rather pay full price for roster updates

Reactions: madrigal77

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I would like to see improved stat tracking within CHEL.

At the start of the game, it might tell you that you have 382 goals, but I would like to see, after each goal scored, updated stats.

Also, when closing in on a milestone, it would be nice if the play-by-play was aware that you are a goal away from 500 or whatever. Sometimes I will see my player having a big celebration after a goal and only when I check after the game do I even realize that I hit a milestone.

As it stands now, it essentially acts like every goal is your first goal. The play-by-play and graphics on screen should be tracking your progress through the year.

Also in CHEL, if you load into a drop in game, and there's an opening at any position, it would be nice to to be able to switch to that position, if you wanted.

Finally, there are a handful of teams that have chosen to invert their uniforms, so their homes are white and their roads are coloured and this can lead to games where it's white vs. white. I wish the game automatically "caught" this and didn't allow for such a match up.
All very reasonable and easy changes that would make the presentation much better, especially when playing with clubs or friends in drop-in.

The little graphic that pops up when you score in Chel even literally says "1st goal of the season" every time lol.

I instantly turn off commentary every year, so i don't notice the play-by-play stuff.

Changing positions in drop-in lobbies would be excellent, and that's actually how it used to be back in the day, IIRC

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Some sort of defense ? Like the game is tailored to offense and half the time you can just zoom up the wing and beat the goaltender who can’t save the same 4/5 shots

Sad to say, this will probably never get fixed as long as the douchey social media guys like nasher etc are affiliated.

Ea just showed a clip the other day of nasher vs Brady tkachuk and nasher is out here spamming Lt/back skate etc
Yep, the NHL themselves and EA through their own channels all posting those clips of Nasher and the recent "NHL World Championships" which is just a bunch of Pay-to-win HUT teams doing the same cheese cross-crease and abusing LT/L2.

And they have no issue with it lol

Reactions: EpiK Sandwich

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
you know… they should lean a lot heavier into player “classes.” I know I’m not the first to suggest this but I support the idea.

They have only ever made a half-assed, paper thin attempt at this. And x-factor abilities are incredibly corny. As long as attribute effects remain the singular means of player differentiation, you will have a jankfest of a hockey game.

If you create a handful of player archetypes with dedicated animations/interactions, you have a jump-off point for a genuine overhaul to AI. Do it right and there’s a fresh layer of strategy in roster/line composition.

I would be a happy customer if I saw genuine player diversity lead to better AI, physics, and franchise experiences

EpiK Sandwich

Long time lurker, first time poster
Nov 21, 2020
Columbus, OH
This game has been really bad since the jump from 360/ps3 era.. the Left trigger bs skating and cross crease fest with no real ability to make creative passing plays has killed this game for me.

As someone who has played every nhl game ever, I am sad how little I want to play the game.. I used to grind vs and hut, but this year I said no thanks. The game needs to be revamped from the ground up.

But, they will not, instead we will see more horrible hut events and kids saying get good, when they have no idea how to ice skate themselves. I have zero hope for this franchise unless someone new takes over the team.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Desperately want changes to the franchise mode. Right now its too easy to trade players and plug holes through FA. I want FAs to have presets that determine where they are willing to sign. Emulate real life by the FAs only wanting to sign based on money, location, cup window etc. The game also desperately needs trade clauses. These two changes would make franchise mode so much more challenging/engaging

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
They won't do this. Independent modders alone would make the game 10x better and actually resemble hockey. Then there would be no need to buy another rendition of the game until it changes engines
Modders are likely not their issue. They ported Madden to PC. FIFA is on PC. Etc.

It's just that the customer base on PC likely isn't there to justify porting it on PC. PC ports can take a lot of ressources if the game isn't built to be on PC to start with.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
So much potential for this game but I'll start off with a small list.

GM connected (it's a honest joke this hasn't been brought back since the first time, I know the first time had a ton of glitches and bugs but there's no way they can't make it better in 2023.)

For the love of f***ing god, get ready of cross crease goals being abused. Defensemen dummying out is the most anger inducing thing on this game. Have the CPU be able to stick lift often in front of the net even if it ends up in a penalty. There's trips that happen by the CPU, why can't you program high sticks like that in the attempt of playing defense.

The phantom knock offs, this is so annoying to deal with online. I use the Devils and I see Timo Meier just shed off guys because of his frame. It's cool when it works in my favor but that's not realistic at all.

Lastly, get rid of the zone and superstar abilities. You can program players like their realistic selfs without those. You can make the speed threshold a bit lower so guys like McDavid, Makar, Hughes trio being able to skate like the wind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad