GDT: NHL 22 Entry Draft (July 7th - 8th | 7:00 PM ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Gucciardi was eligible last year and went undrafted, had a nice season in the NCAA. Two overages with the last two picks. No issues with that. Overall one of the best drafts we've had in a very very long time. Will they all pan out? Probably not, but the potential is there. Good job Mahoney and team!

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Gucciardi from McKeens:

sOur 111th ranked prospect for the 2021 draft just finished his freshman year at Michigan State and he was one of the most impactful freshman defenders in the NCAA this year. He was one of Michigan State’s main powerplay quarterbacks and finished inside the top 20 of U20 defenseman scoring, while playing 17+ minutes a night on most occasions.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Gucciardi was eligible last year and went undrafted, had a nice season in the NCAA. Two overages with the last two picks. No issues with that. Overall one of the best drafts we've had in a very very long time. Will they all pan out? Probably not, but the potential is there. Good job Mahoney and team!
Sorry to bump my own post but wow am I surprised how much height & weight he's put on since last year. Had he have been this size last year he definitely gets drafted and potentially in the 3rd.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Overall seems like a solid draft. Definitely a focus on skating, speed, and scoring. 6 0f the 7 were over 6 feet with tallest only being 6’3. Not big 6’5 and up guys. I like what the caps did. Definitely some big swings which have risk but i am perfectly comfortable with that.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Mahoney said, holy my beer, f*** it, I am shooting for the stars. I absolutely love it.

Why not? We have nothing to lose.

We are very lucky to have kept him all of these years that teams have been interested in him becoming their GM. He is definitely getting paid very, very well and must like being a part of our organization.
He's also super approachable like most hockey people. Saw him at a rookie tourney in FL a few years back (Vrana, Johansen, & Bowey were playing) and he talked hockey with me for a solid 30min

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Caps enter the post-draft offseason with one less goalie than they had before the draft. Curious.

Suggests they have a deal in place somewhere. Otherwise trading VV increases the other side's leverage.

Or, they could be ride-or-die with Sammy and rotating some sort of backup.

Lordy.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

I think they just were prepared to roll the dice a bit and were able to get what they considered fair value. After Edmonton & Toronto the teams with openings are mainly Buffalo & Arizona. Murray already nixed a deal to Buffalo. Arizona is Arizona. There are only two starters to be had in UFA in Kuemper & Campbell. We'll see if anyone trades for their rights or jumps out ahead of that via other trades to get something completed. You'd think Kuemper & Campbell need to sign (or at least decide) before teams resort to trades but you never know what may come together in the coming days. Some teams with two good goalies may want to clear out cap space for other use and not demand too high a price.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You'd think the UFA goalies would be in just as big a hurry to sign as teams are in a hurry to sign them. There are only so many starting gigs -- and even fewer for contending teams -- and if teams start making trades before the free agency period begins because they don't like the UFA prices then those UFAs start to get squeezed.

I imagine BMac has a handshake agreement with a UFA or he has a few contingency plans in place where if Team A with Goalie B signs UFA Goalie C, then he'll trade with Team A for Goalie B.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Love this draft for the players, but also the names. We got us a Miro, a Chess, a Suzy, a Luper, a Gooch, and The Hof. Karabela could be Jaka, but we could also use another Jake The Snake to knock the stink off the reminder of the last one...

Also, if 'Luper and The Gooch' was a buddy cop show, I would watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad