GDT: NHL 22 Entry Draft (July 7th - 8th | 7:00 PM ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bets/poll on what they do with #20?

BPA? G? Center? Wing? D-man? Trade out?

I'm guessing Center.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Mahoney said they have a short list of 4-5 F/D with goal-scoring winger and a PPQB type defenseman as organizational areas to improve. At this point it's hard to believe they'd move the pick in a JT Miller trade given that they won't have much time to talk extension. It could come together pretty quick but I think VAN will have to wait unless they want to make more of a hockey trade. Curious to see if OTT at 7 and CBJ at 12 move those picks for immediate help.

Mateychuk, Kulich or Ohgren seem most likely at 20. The teens seem increasingly unpredictable with the potential rise of Gaucher/Ostlund and that should be enough to push down at least one of the three. Yurov could also slide but I'd think MIN would be willing and able at 19 to take the risk while picking again at 24. Hopefully a couple of other D like Bichsel/Pickering also go in the teens, leaving more options to choose from.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsjustsurvival

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1657196513612.gif

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think I've got the first 11 picks nailed down. Basically Bobs list, with Savoie sliding out. I'll say Savoie slides to 12-15

Wright, Slaf, Cooley, Gauthier, Nemec, Jiricek, Kasper, Kemell, Lekkerimaki, Korchinski, and Mintyukov.

After that, i anticipate it getting a little weird.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Slafkovsky comes off as such a risky pick if he goes #1 overall. I hope it works out, but if I had to pick a "bust" for this draft, he seems likely. Not really a guy I would be comfortable with at 1st overall, certainly not even top 5 IMO. His production in international tournaments doesn't square with his production in Liiga and that is concerning. I'm a slaf skeptic

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
For me slaf is a finished product he has no more growth at 6’4 225 already he’s gotten his boost from size and isn’t going to grow into anymore. Sure he’ll be coached up to different aspects of the game but to me you have a middle 6 winger floor and ceiling with him.

I guess maybe he hasn’t learned to use his size yet but idk. To me his boost in the tourneys are because he’s bigger than everyone then when he goes back to Liiga he’s not

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I guess there's no way to watch this without subscribing to ESPN+ for us cable-cutters, eh? That's a bummer, I really don't like that service.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Mateychuk profiles very well statistically. I’d like to see them take him if he’s available, provided no other can’t-miss prospect is there and they don’t trade the pick.

The big question I have is: do the forums survive the traffic tonight, or will they crash like they do after every draft/trade/FA frenzy?

Last edited:

alexthekidd

Nov 18, 2008
London
Hoping for a slider like Lappiere - Yurov ideally. I’d take a punt on Miorsichenko or someone like Nazar if he drops. High ceiling types.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Engage lip reader mode.

While I think it's a bit more likely typically at 46 to be able to add a secondary PPQB compared to a natural goal-scorer there could be some exceptions this year given the Russian factor. It's hard to sequence a draft that conveniently but Trikozov or Perevalov easily could be there at 46. And I think I'd prefer Mateychuk and one of the two to, say, Kulich and Luneau/Casey/Nelson.

They should just go BPA of course and not target adding a goal-scoring winger and offensive-defenseman above all else. Kulich and, say, Lorenz/Goyette and I'd figure that being more impactful organizationally compared to a more marginal PPQB type at 46. Adding a 3RD+PP type doesn't strike me as particularly valuable unless they either carry legit 5v5 offensive upside or are simply nails on the PP. For me it's not really enough to just be passably decent on the PP at the junior level if the player is altogether marginal. Havelid could be that sort of talent on the PP. Or Hutson. But they don't have a track record of targeting smaller skilled defensemen to that extent. Mateychuk's not that big either but he's got an inch or two on those guys and is a lot thicker. Even those two may be gone by 46 anyway. If it's more of a Casey/Nelson type--who are also not that big and not amazing on the PP--I'd have a bunch of forwards ahead of them at 46. And so I think the main PPQB target has to be Mateychuk since there's also dynamic 5v5 ability potentially. Unless they can trade up for Mintyukov it's hard to figure who else feasibly has that as a calling card strength with top 4 upside. A Pickering or Bichsel are more just large, mobile defensemen. Maybe they can eventually play a PP2 role but I don't know that they'd offer more than Iorio for example. I certainly wouldn't count on it, esp. given that Iorio is a right shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtree

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Has anyone ever gone back in the threads from 5 years ago to see who had the best predictions?

Might be fun for everyone to chuck some late round gem/bust/hot takes predictions out there for our future selves to ridicule

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I hate trading our picks for no impact shit heads every deadline. I hope we keep 20 and take a upside center who can play wing.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I have a sneaky feeling we might end up with Lambert and finally go Finnish. Could be another slider too, Geekie perhaps?

Mateychuk seems like a popular pick here, IMO he would be a great pick too.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If Ottawa was open to dumping Murray while moving back from 7 to 16 the Caps may want to get in on that. It could net them Kasper/Korchinski/Lekkerimaki.

I sorted of called the Protas & Johnson picks more recently during Day 2. They were logical fits. That's about it. I recall pulling for Backstrom of course way back but much easier to handicap early.

If they go winger in the first round and he's still available I'd go Warren at 46 unless someone crazy like Firkus slides. Warren will probably be gone but that would be a beaut. A large, physical old school RD. Punishing. Some later options I like: Petrovsky, Minten, Gustafson, Dyck, James, Morrison, Kaplan, Neuchev, Sparkes, Pettersson, Spicer, Ward, Milne and Leddy. A wide net! Heh.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Dream: Mintyukov, Nazar

Want: Mateychuk, Lambert, Howard, Miroshnichenko.

Stay away: Pickering, Beck, Del Bel Belluz, Snuggerud, Gaucher.

For 2nd round i like Hutson, Firkus, Salomonsson.

3rd round i like Kulonummi and Buchinger.

Wish i've had more time to follow this draft class but it's been an extremely busy year. Still it's funny to post list like this here and look how silly you look few years from now. :laugh:

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
FWIW and piggybacking a bit on the previous post: I think Korchinski could be the best player in this draft. Like, immense skating and skill potential. When factoring in his eventual playing pace with the puck I don't know that there's really a better skater in this draft. Cooley is slippery and dynamic. Slafkovsky is big and wide. But Korchinski skates like the wind. If there's a Makar it's probably not the top two European D IMO, it's him.

Reactions: EroCaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad