GDT: NHL 22 Entry Draft (July 7th - 8th | 7:00 PM ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Bar trivia tip: if you're ever asked about an Icelandic musician just answer Bjork and you'll be right 99% of the time.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

Washington Capitals: B

The Capitals’ draft is a complicated one to grade. I think Ryan Chesley is a good player and will help the Caps down the line. This all comes down to Ivan Miroshnichenko. If he recovers as a player and person due to his health concerns and gets back to who he was a year ago the Capitals could easily have one of the better draft classes. If not, it’s hard to see too many NHL games from this group.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Holy shite, can't remember ever seeing a hockey player throw a Superman punch!
hah I did notice that looked like he might have clipped the front of the helmet.

Hopefully we'll get some dev camp news on Monday. Hopefully some of the recent draftees can attend. Sounds like Miro will be there whether he fully participates is another thing.

Reactions: ynotcaps

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Caps selecting 2 highly skilled Swedish LWs in the 3rd round is fun.

Persson needs to work on his effort off-puck in all zones, while Suzdalev needs to work on his D and stop playing so much on the perimeter. He's got all the tools and the size(but could use a little bulking up) to drive the net, just needs to do it.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

6. LW Ivan Miroshnichenko - Omskie Krylia, VHL

Let’s not mince words here. Miroshnichenko is an immense talent and should be viewed as one of the top prospects in the draft. Yes, there are injury concerns here but there’s a disconnect between some of the popular rankings here. If Ivan is healthy (which he’s been reported as already cleared to train for next season), he should be a top 5 player in the draft. I’d expect an NHL team to take a risk on him earlier in the draft order than expected considering he could be ready to join an NHL team within two years similar to the trajectory of Vasiliy Podkolzin. If he’s unhealthy and you’re too worried about this risk he should be on a DND list or ranked way out of the first round. In a box, Miro is an absolute sniper with quick hands and a great frame.

14. RD Ryan Chelsey - US National U18 Team, USNTDP
Chelsey will get overlooked this draft for his lack of offensive production, however his defensive abilities will make him a surefire NHL player. Likely destined for a middle pair, Chelsey combines his solid skating with a physical presence and can shut down a play with ease. He doesn’t take many risks and will often choose the safe option, however the eye-test shows he can contribute on offense on occasion where he’ll break into the offensive zone or find great breakout passes. Playing with Lane Hutson, Chelsey often played farther back and was the responsible player on the pair. With a partner that takes less risks, Chelsey will be able to assert his more aggressive offensive talents into the game. Chelsey may not be Cale Makar, but does not have any glaring weaknesses to his game and can be relied upon to play heavy minutes. Chelsey may become a minute munching #2/3 defenseman that could be viewed as one of the most valuable players in the draft.

20. LW Ludwig Persson - Frolunda HC, J20 Nationell
Ludwig appeared in only six SHL games with a handful of minutes per game on a stacked Frolunda team, but made his mark in the J20 Nationell with over sixty points. Offensively, Persson has sky high potential and is easily a first round talent. His speed and skating is one of the best in the class and he can maneuver tight spaces with the puck on his stick leading to a multitude of chances. Persson’s only major downfall is his lack of defensive attention. He seems to only show effort on the offensive side of the puck and needs to improve his defense to make the NHL.

112. LD David Gucciardi - Michigan State, NCAA
133. LW Alexander Suzdalev - HV71, J20 Nationell

Sleepers:

LW/C Jake Karabela - Guelph Storm, OHL - I Ranked #41 / CSS Ranked NA #61

Karabela doesn't have production on his side, but he's an offensive dynamo. He's a playmaking forward that can play down the middle or on the wing (most likely on the wing). He flourishes at pushing the pace and finding passing lanes to create goals for his teammates. He uses his speed to start an attack and will punish you on the break. Karabela spent most of the season as the third line center for Guelph and didn't get a lot of opportunity to flourish.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Loving the buzz after a brutal couple of years.

Very happy that they took risks again - I’d much rather they take a big swing with guys like lap and Miro than go safe and boring.

Could go wrong of course, but I don’t think this is a time for the franchise to go for safe middle/bottom 6 forwards.

Reactions: jtree

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Seems from the scouting reports like Mirosnichenko is an Ovi jr? And Chesley has gotten a lot of praise as well so i feel good about these picks. Both should be top 6/top 4 starters in a few years.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden

This is obviously not a scientific statement but i like his demeanour. He seems confident, looks questioners in the eyes and his answers are clear and to the point. I sense leadership potential here.

So what the heck im gonna call it:

Ryan Chesley will be named captain of the 2028 Washington Capitals.

Reactions: max21 and jtree

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Sounds like Chesley had to babysit the pure offense dman and play more responsible. Curious what the D depth for the college team is.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Decided to check out the Pickering thread on the Pitt board and it only took them less than a page to suggest he could be another Sieder
Those guys seriously can’t help themselves, they just go convincing each other they’ve got another lockdown Norris candidate for the next decade and then getting all juiced up when the next one comes

Gonna be soooo scary with Dumoulin, Marino, and now Pickering swinging trophies at each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad