NHL 21 (Part 2)

Mar 12, 2009
Did they fix any of the bugs for Franchise? SO far I'm thinking I'll just be starting a new Franchise in NHL20, very little seems better and some things seem worse. Be A Pro seems to have more "flare", but the most fun I have in be apro is playing my draft year in the OHL (even if the discipline attribute is weighted too heavily for draft placement).

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Still a game of one-timers, but not as easy to "snipe" aka figuring out the perfect way to angle your control stick so you can beat the AI goalie to the same spot every time. Flow is a little better too. Still mostly the same game it's been since 17.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
won some fantasy football money and picked it up 50% off. Honestly there are enough changes so far in franchise mode to keep me interested. I like the record book, the updated jerseys and I have not done a trade deadline yet but sounds promising.

One thing I don't know why they got ride of was the team rankings. When you go to play a game it usually says how the team is on offense, defense, and goal. Those are gone which I do not get.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Haven't booted my console in awhile. How long ago was the last update? I want to play tomorrow but don't want to if there's too much work to do. Not a fan of waiting for rosters as silly as that sounds.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Ugh. Accessed HUT for the first time since November. Same ol' issues with network crashes and error codes. Cannot even navigate the auction house without a crash. EA sucks.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
So is it any better than 20? I played that one a bit and i honestly liked it way less than 14 i used to play on PS3. Somehow, it did not felt right, players felt sluggish, the passes weird, shots slow and weak... and it felt lass random. I mean, i played a game with my buddy, which ended like 6-5, which would be OK, if all the goals scored did not feel absolutely the same - skating 2. On 1, onetimer goal. But when i wanted to set up for onetimer from blueline during powerplay, no shot seems ever to end up with goal, similarly ehen trying the same from face-off. If i skate into slot and try some wicked wrister, it always ends up some weak-ass, slow as hell, shot. Is it just me, or is it really worse than old gen in this regard... and if yes, is 21 any different?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
First time I buy an NHL game in over five years. The player development screen confuses me a bit: I see positive natural growth and morale growth during a season but zero statistical growth across the board, even though Laf just hit 30 goals with 50 games played, and Chytil hit 20 with 40 games played. Is this normal? They both have natural growth but, with seasons like those, I’d expect there to b statistical growth too!

Separately, I love what FIFA did with its training system, by allowing you to retrain players into different positions and, within a given position, roles. The notion of “freshness” is also cool — a guy who has been a healthy scratch most of the season shouldn’t be in 100% form. I think they also did a good job with dynamic potential — though perhaps they should tone it down a bit. Some of the growth I experienced in my first season was insane (5+ jumps in overalls).

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
So is it any better than 20? I played that one a bit and i honestly liked it way less than 14 i used to play on PS3. Somehow, it did not felt right, players felt sluggish, the passes weird, shots slow and weak... and it felt lass random. I mean, i played a game with my buddy, which ended like 6-5, which would be OK, if all the goals scored did not feel absolutely the same - skating 2. On 1, onetimer goal. But when i wanted to set up for onetimer from blueline during powerplay, no shot seems ever to end up with goal, similarly ehen trying the same from face-off. If i skate into slot and try some wicked wrister, it always ends up some weak-ass, slow as hell, shot. Is it just me, or is it really worse than old gen in this regard... and if yes, is 21 any different?
Strategies are critical here. I haven’t played since ‘14 or ‘15, but I’ve noticed a big difference between Overload PP snd Shooting PP, for example. As for 2v1 and the like, the AI does a good job of tying up my players, forcing them to either whiff or shoot right at the goalie. Every now and then I’ll get a breakaway and score ... but since the 1.01 update, my scores have come down from 13-2 to 4-1, with an occasional rout. The games end up being closer than the scores suggest.

The 6-5 tells me you’re playing run and gun, which is fine, but you can perfectly win 3-1 or 2-1 if you put effort into defending. That means discipline snd patience — almost a chore. The goalie will perform spectacularly if you are responsible, in some cases lunging behind him to cover a puck that was begging for a tap-in from a rushing forward, or let in soft wristers along the ice from the point if you’re not. The AI rewards you for discipline snd effort. So use that poke check wisely, watch the unmarked players, and look for breakout opportunities. Weaving in the neutral zone is a great way to establish o-zone time. Alternating between blasts from the point snd soft wristers along the ice also confuses the AI a bit, as it doesn’t know whether to let the goalie see the puck or block the shot. Overall, I find this game more challenging than ‘14, depending on how you play it:

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Okay I just have to get this off my chest, they NEED to fix the stupid board play they added years ago and did nothing with it.

The fact the computers physics work completely different than ours is just a complete JOKE. They get you into the corner and they grab the puck in .2 seconds.

I've even out it on rookie had the cpu in the boards and tried to get the poke poke checking, sticking lifting everything and it takes like 10 seconds.

How easy the cpu can manipulate the board play compared to you has been broken since day one.

I almost feel like they use it for when you just simply outclassed the cpu so they start cheating in the corners.

Anways. End rant.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
It’s annoying playing franchise and your player not exactly having the best year and wanting 14 million 8 year contract.

Reactions: Burkeocet

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Has anybody noticed playing online versus with a buddy, the first game you play, is lopsided in your favor, all your passes connect, you shots go in, your buddy can't do anything, final score 6-1 for you, then you play another game right after and it's the other way around, your players are slower, passes don't connect, goalie stops everything, 7--0 for your buddy, almost like his team got a speed boost?

This has happened quite a few times, I'm wondering if there is some "even-up" thing programmed beneath the online settings to make it so someone doesn't lose a bunch in a row...
Conspiracy!

Or is there a momentum attribute that once it gets going, your players start playing badly, and it's impossible to get back into the game?

playing my first versus game in months and had a game where I had almost 40 shots and other guy had 9 and I lost 4-0. The skill level was apparent as it didn’t even look like he knew how to win a face off. That’s something that’s been around this series for as long I can remember tho.

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
Bought it during the Christmas break at half price and I've started playing yesterday (yeah, I know but I'm a dad...). Felt very familiar (of course it has been the case for the last 10 years almost) but what really bugged me is the penalty sensibility. I had to lower that as it was becoming infuriating. I was getting tripping penalties after a normal check, and I won't talk about stick checks too much but at least I should say that I find it completely stupid that when you reach out your stick in advance (and by that I mean really in advance) and then one player happens to make a sharp turn directly into it, you almost automatically receive a tripping penalty (before lowering the sensibility). It wasn't treating it the same way in NHL 20. All in all, I'm disappointed and I wasn't expecting much...

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Gonna ask this here as well. For franchise mode.

Anyone have a list of what player types give you a +3 and +5 for chemistry?

Here's what I've been able to find:

+5
SNP-PLY-PWF
SNP-PLY-SNP
GRN-GRN-GRN (rare, usually only +3)
OFD-DFD

+3
TWF-PLY-PWF
TWF-TWF-PWF
OFD-TWD
TWD-TWD
DFD-TWD

And is there any purpose to your coaches line strategies other than for chemistry? Does your associate or assistant coach have any impact on performance/growth/chemitry that you've noticed?

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Ugh. Accessed HUT for the first time since November. Same ol' issues with network crashes and error codes. Cannot even navigate the auction house without a crash. EA sucks.

You think that’s bad, just wait until you get to the actual gameplay :laugh:

Last edited:

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
So im playing Gm Mode, and I just won the cup. I make some minor deals in the off season but nothing major, basically my whole team is still in tact.
I sim up to right before the preseason games are about to start, my second line consists of 3 88 overall players, and we're looking poised to make a cup run again.
I sim through the preseason games, we go 6-1, I go and look at my team again and basically Every player has gone down by atleast 2 points!
I know chemistry is a thing but the worst part is several players have dropped 4-6 points! My 2nd line center is now an 82 overall, while still having top6 exact potential.

What the hell happened here? Ive never seen drops even close to this big in any game before. I think I changed my assistant coach and brought up a couple rookies for the bottom lines, thats all the changes I did.
Can anyone help me understand what the hell happened?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
So im playing Gm Mode, and I just won the cup. I make some minor deals in the off season but nothing major, basically my whole team is still in tact.
I sim up to right before the preseason games are about to start, my second line consists of 3 88 overall players, and we're looking poised to make a cup run again.
I sim through the preseason games, we go 6-1, I go and look at my team again and basically Every player has gone down by atleast 2 points!
I know chemistry is a thing but the worst part is several players have dropped 4-6 points! My 2nd line center is now an 82 overall, while still having top6 exact potential.

What the hell happened here? Ive never seen drops even close to this big in any game before. I think I changed my assistant coach and brought up a couple rookies for the bottom lines, thats all the changes I did.
Can anyone help me understand what the hell happened?
Age?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad