NHL 21 (Part 2)

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Gonna ask this here as well. For franchise mode.

Anyone have a list of what player types give you a +3 and +5 for chemistry?

Here's what I've been able to find:

+5
SNP-PLY-PWF
SNP-PLY-SNP
GRN-GRN-GRN (rare, usually only +3)
OFD-DFD

+3
TWF-PLY-PWF
TWF-TWF-PWF
OFD-TWD
TWD-TWD
DFD-TWD

And is there any purpose to your coaches line strategies other than for chemistry? Does your associate or assistant coach have any impact on performance/growth/chemitry that you've noticed?

I got a +5 with 2 snipers and a playmaker on my AHL team once, but I've never seen it happen other than that one time. I don't think the strategies matter outside of chemistry.

What annoys me is that when the drafts start to become all AI generated players you won't find any forwards with a carry tendency, which really handicaps your chemistry with a forward specialty coach. Like, you see a franchise center comparable to Lemieux or Gretzky go first overall and they like to play dump and chase?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I got a +5 with 2 snipers and a playmaker on my AHL team once, but I've never seen it happen other than that one time. I don't think the strategies matter outside of chemistry.

What annoys me is that when the drafts start to become all AI generated players you won't find any forwards with a carry tendency, which really handicaps your chemistry with a forward specialty coach. Like, you see a franchise center comparable to Lemieux or Gretzky go first overall and they like to play dump and chase?
Also I always find no matter what players/team I use almost always my top players like Carry-Shoot-Efficient-Balanced and Pinch-Cycle. But it's not always easy to find a decent coach to fit that. Often only a C overall or worse.

I wish there was a feature like in Madden where you can create your own coach, customize your preferred strategies and then start a franchise from there, finding players to fit your coach. Maybe you get fired, move to a new team and have to try to fit players to your scheme, or adjust your scheme to fit your roster. This is how Madden works.

Also the players preferred strats shouldn't be random. Connor McDavid is not going to play a Dump-Cycle-Energy-Block style. Build these things into their attribute ratings like skatingm shootingm ect. And allow you to see them in a players profile once scouted. Not this "line fit" thing, which sometimes isn't even accurate.

EA, hire me onto your development team! I'll work for free just give me a free copy at the end. I just want to see this series be as good as it can be.

One last complaint. Auto-scouting is still broken. At the end of the year with all B or better scouts it's happened many times where half the guy in the top 10 of the draft are unscouted. Often #1 is unknown.

Reactions: Zen Arcade

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
I have had something happened to me that ive never experienced in GM mode before.
It has happened twice, though this second time its even more extreme.

So I have just won the cup for the second time in 3 years.
My second line LW is 26 years old, medium Elite potential, scored 87 points last season and is 91 overall. After the preseason, he dropped from 91 to 84 overall. Was listed as a 1st liner, now is a 3rd liner.
My second line center is 24 years old, medium Top 6 potential, scored 62 points last season and is 88 overall. After the preseason, he dropped from 88 to 80 overall. Was listed as a 2nd liner, now he is "Depth"
My second line RW is 32 years old, exact Top 6 potential, scored 77 points last season and is 90 overall. After the preseason, he dropped from 90 to 84 overall. Was listed as a 1st liner, now is a 3rd liner.

in 1 day, between the end of preseason and before the start of the first regular season game my team got completely decimated. Every other player dropped atleast 2 points aswell.

How. Does. This. Happen??? Its unreal. The only noticeable thing that changed was that my team chemistry went fro 74 overall to 66 overall, inbetween preseason and regular season. That is what made my whole team fall apart completely? And as far as im aware there is no explanation to why this happens. Ive looked through every player, noone has a problem with another player on the team. Their morale is high. Coach chemistry is 78%.
It just makes NO sense to me. Can I fix this? Is the game just completely broken??

TLDR; Several of my players suddenly dropped 6-8 points for no appearant reason.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
For next year’s World of Chel, I’d love for them to make a way for you to be able to switch your load out in game based on the situation. Like you’d have one class for the PK, one for PP, and one for even strength. If they’re feeling saucy, maybe one for when you have the lead, one if tied, and one if trailing. I know it kinda goes against the spirit of being one player for the whole game, but I can be a tiny sniper one game and a towering enforcer the next, so it’s already separate from Be A Pro in that regard.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Saw it for 30$ on psn today. Still at least ten bucks overpriced for what you get as an owner of any recent iteration... At least ten.

Doesn't seem like too many of you are having much fun, anyway.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
For next year’s World of Chel, I’d love for them to make a way for you to be able to switch your load out in game based on the situation. Like you’d have one class for the PK, one for PP, and one for even strength. If they’re feeling saucy, maybe one for when you have the lead, one if tied, and one if trailing. I know it kinda goes against the spirit of being one player for the whole game, but I can be a tiny sniper one game and a towering enforcer the next, so it’s already separate from Be A Pro in that regard.

I agree. I think it would be cool if you could pick 4 loadouts per game as a forward and 3 as a defenseman and then change and pick who you want on.

For example, you choose DNG as your 1, PWF 2, SNP 3 and GRN 4 and when you click the line change button like you would in a franchise game you pick the player type you want out there. This way you wouldn't have to stop skating for half the game to get your energy back and energy could be like it is in franchise.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Nice to see they didn't bother to fix the crazy contracts in this game. $10m+ for a kid's first contract after your ELC? Seems legit.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Gonna ask this here as well. For franchise mode.

Anyone have a list of what player types give you a +3 and +5 for chemistry?

Here's what I've been able to find:

+5
SNP-PLY-PWF
SNP-PLY-SNP
GRN-GRN-GRN (rare, usually only +3)
OFD-DFD

+3
TWF-PLY-PWF
TWF-TWF-PWF
OFD-TWD
TWD-TWD
DFD-TWD

And is there any purpose to your coaches line strategies other than for chemistry? Does your associate or assistant coach have any impact on performance/growth/chemitry that you've noticed?
Maybe I did something wrong, but nothing here worked for me. Nothing over +1 and my 2nd line was in the yellow.

Is it because of the coaches?

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Do people online still score the same goal over and over again? You know the one I’m talking about

For the most part (cross crease cheese I’m assuming...or maybe it’s the D to D 1-timer...or maybe it’s the biggest head scratcher I’ve found deke twice below the dots and go short side top shelf 8 times in a game)

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I’ve been playing EA NHL’s for 25 years and there isn’t anything remotely close to a year as bad as 21 is.

I’m done with EA hockey forever. Just beyond brutal in so many aspects.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
6v6 in eashl is like playing peak Devils in the dead puck era ... what a slogfest.
Just run a drop-in. It's literally five me-first puck chasers almost every game. The game quality has taken a giant shit over the years because EA refuses to hold players accountable for the way they play.

Puck raggers, glitchers, trolls, racists and complete amateurs are ruining the community. Of course that's when you're not being DDosed.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
So the game was 30$ last week and I bought it, I usually wait until its around 10$ because it's been garbage for years but, you know, pandemic and all, I have nothing to do.

Holy f*** they found a way to make the game EVEN MORE TRASH. Good job EA Vancouver. I hope some of your devs read this forum. What a piece of f***ing joke.

The game is so broken. Everyone always tries for the same stupid goal ALL GAME, ALL THE TIME. Cross pass in front of the net for a one timer. Guys literally won't try anything else, at all. I'm at about a dozen games played and I don't even want to touch it already. The hits are also nonsense, players on their ass all game long. The poke check is ridiculous.

I don't feel like writing five pages about that shit. EA better change the studio working on the game because Vancouver obviously doesn't give a shit anymore. That franchise will die.

If anyone is still on the fence on buying this game, DON'T DO IT.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
if you want to go undefeated in online competitive vs mode, simply use the Habs alumni roster. Cant be beat.

The other day, while not using that roster, just the Habs regular one, I had some guy on mic constantly say gimmick goal...glitch goal...i was scoring in every way imaginable...the guy quit after he said "if you score one more glitch goal"....seriously, the guy just sucked ass.

I love how peeps always blame the game when they suck ass.

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
It's pretty much been the same game since 17. Everyone trying to do cross crease passes, or trying to "snipe" aka find out how to angle your control stick to beat the AI goalie to the same place every time. Ice tilt, disparity in goaltending, etc. Not that Doc was ever suited for video games, but James Cybulski like screams. I will say the passing is a LITTLE better this year, and at least they took out Snoop Dogg. That said, after one bad run, I played until I had a winning record, and now I think I'm done.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I can't win a faceoff. Even after reading a guide I'm like 1 for 40 every game. Thought I had it figured out, won one, and then the same strategy failed every other time that game, even adjusting for handedness.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
So the game was 30$ last week and I bought it, I usually wait until its around 10$ because it's been garbage for years but, you know, pandemic and all, I have nothing to do.

Holy f*** they found a way to make the game EVEN MORE TRASH. Good job EA Vancouver. I hope some of your devs read this forum. What a piece of f***ing joke.

The game is so broken. Everyone always tries for the same stupid goal ALL GAME, ALL THE TIME. Cross pass in front of the net for a one timer. Guys literally won't try anything else, at all. I'm at about a dozen games played and I don't even want to touch it already. The hits are also nonsense, players on their ass all game long. The poke check is ridiculous.

I don't feel like writing five pages about that shit. EA better change the studio working on the game because Vancouver obviously doesn't give a shit anymore. That franchise will die.

If anyone is still on the fence on buying this game, DON'T DO IT.

To be fair, not everyone treats a video game as seriously as some. And I along with others don't want to read 5 pages of nonsense either.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
To be fair, not everyone treats a video game as seriously as some. And I along with others don't want to read 5 pages of nonsense either.

Yet you come on here and get offended when someone has anything critical to say about the game. Perhaps you're the one who treats a video game seriously and should stop crying about it.

Reactions: NYR94

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Yet you come on here and get offended when someone has anything critical to say about the game. Perhaps you're the one who treats a video game seriously and should stop crying about it.

Not at all, the game has fallen on hard times for sure. But to be as angry and salty as you are over a video game.....way to keep perspectives of life bud.

Reactions: Declassified

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad