Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I’ve flopped at this point from really wanting Clarke to really wanting Hughes (Beniers is up there in a 1a/1b situation)

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I’ve flopped at this point from really wanting Clarke to really wanting Hughes (Beniers is up there in a 1a/1b situation)

I wanted Kathy Ireland, but, sadly, it never happened. Gonna need a metric $hit ton of luck from Uncle Gary. May not even make the lottery. Not that I'm complaining.

FWLIW, agreed on Hughes and Beniers. Lotta time for movement though.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I wanted Kathy Ireland, but, sadly, it never happened. Gonna need a metric $hit ton of luck from Uncle Gary. May not even make the lottery. Not that I'm complaining.

FWLIW, agreed on Hughes and Beniers. Lotta time for movement though.

LOL

I won’t be bummed if we play too well to grab them. I think we should all be really excited about the youngsters we have stocked up at this point already.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
First round update. Still very preliminary and a lot of hockey left to be played and watched. Mostly just posting it so that folks can get an idea of some names to watch if we end up in the 10th-20th overall range. Definitely warming to Hughes #1 but not quite there yet.

1 Matthew Beniers
2 Luke Hughes
3 Owen Power
4 Brandt Clarke
5 William Eklund
6 Aatu Raty
7 Simon Edvinsson
8 Fabian Lysell
9 Kent Johnson
10 Jesper Wallstedt
11 Cole Sillinger
12 Chaz Lucius
13 Zachary L'Heureux
14 Dylan Guenther
15 Mason McTavish
16 Simon Robertsson
17 Carson Lambos
18 Scott Morrow
19 Oskar Olausson
20 Sasha Pastujov
21 Stanislav Svozil
22 Fyodor Svechkov
23 Matthew Coronato
24 Samu Salminen
25 Prokhor Poltapov
26 Xavier Bourgault
27 William Stromgren
28 Jack Peart
29 Liam Gilmartin
30 Jake Martin
31 Brennan Othmann
32 Isak Rosen

I think Svechkov will be your Marat this year @Kevin Musto

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
and maybe adding Damir Zhadyov to the equation too.....

Damir Zhafyarov would be a nice free add. I still would like to see Chicago grab Okulov. I swear the KHL Twitter feed has him scoring a highlight goal every week. Usually a GWG.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
First round update. Still very preliminary and a lot of hockey left to be played and watched. Mostly just posting it so that folks can get an idea of some names to watch if we end up in the 10th-20th overall range. Definitely warming to Hughes #1 but not quite there yet.

1 Matthew Beniers
2 Luke Hughes
3 Owen Power
4 Brandt Clarke
5 William Eklund
6 Aatu Raty
[/USER]
Like the list. Raty at #6 is a big stretch for me.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
With all the injuries Toews, Dach, Strome, Carlsson, Shaw, Seabrook, Smith, Nylander, it will be interesting how they adjust and continue the same success.

At the TDL, these guys could be good trade pieces to add to the rebuild:
Janmark
Wallmark
Zadorov
Soberberg
deHann
Strome

FTR, I am very happy with how the team has done so far. It’s nice to see the, win games. I’m not sure it’s sustainable and think it’s still important to rebuild this team with picks and young players.

The D core is looking strong with Boqvist, Beaudin, Carlsson, Mitchell, Kalynuk

Forwards need more high end prospects to add to Dach, Suter, DeBrincat, Kubalik, Reichel, Hagel, Kurashev.

Goalies have had a pleasant surprise in Lankinen. Subban is trending up. Delia probably has one last chance to prove himself, but it will take an injury or getting picked up on waivers.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Cole Sillinger.

Has a big shot, and is responsible defensively. Been absolutely ripping apart the USHL.

I love his game. If we keep winning and he keeps playing well he might be out of reach.

(this is all assuming we pick in the 16-20.range )

I'm the first to admit that I don't watch these guys as amateurs other than a few wjc games, but from what I've read on Sillinger the knock is that he's slow.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I'm the first to admit that I don't watch these guys as amateurs other than a few wjc games, but from what I've read on Sillinger the knock is that he's slow.

He’s not slow, his speed is average.

The knock is his stride, which needs work but can be fixed. He’s certainly not slow.

Slow is pretty hyperbolic, imo.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
He’s not slow, his speed is average.

The knock is his stride, which needs work but can be fixed. He’s certainly not slow.

Slow is pretty hyperbolic, imo.
If I had a dollar for every time I read "average speed, but it's fixable" about a prospect who went on to be a player with below average wheels, I'd be rich.

And below average wheels are more of a detriment than ever in the hockey world.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
If I had a dollar for every time I read "average speed, but it's fixable" about a prospect who went on to be a player with below average wheels, I'd be rich.

And below average wheels are more of a detriment than ever in the hockey world.

Ok, but I said average right?

Also, improving a stride vs saying he’ll suddenly be fixed and speedy player are fairly different chief.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Based on what?

Human nature. Fixing someone's stride is unlearning YEARS of muscle memory. Then reteaching it. There are also the physical aspects to skating that need to be rectified. It's seriously one of the most difficult aspects of a hockey player to remedy. It almost never happens. Guys either learn to be effective with the skating they have, or they don't.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Human nature. Fixing someone's stride is unlearning YEARS of muscle memory. Then reteaching it. There are also the physical aspects to skating that need to be rectified. It's seriously one of the most difficult aspects of a hockey player to remedy. It almost never happens. Guys either learn to be effective with the skating they have, or they don't.

There’s a difference between improving a stride/cleaning it up vs completely changing it. (And I agree changing it is a complete waste of time at 17/18)

Evan Barratt is an absolutely perfect example. Brutal skating in his early days in the USDP (I watched him live, it wasn’t good). He’s still not a “good” skater, but he’s at least pro average and his stride is much cleaner.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Ok, but I said average right?

Sorry for the edits.

Average skating at lower levels equates to bad wheels at the NHL level. When someone says "it's fixable" that is an admission it needs to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad