Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Human nature. Fixing someone's stride is unlearning YEARS of muscle memory. Then reteaching it. There are also the physical aspects to skating that need to be rectified. It's seriously one of the most difficult aspects of a hockey player to remedy. It almost never happens. Guys either learn to be effective with the skating they have, or they don't.
we have a NIH research proposal idea here — lock Strome in the rink at MB for 7+ hours and feed him acid/mushrooms to reset his biomechanics & develop new neuromuscular patterns #dosestrome

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
If you’re assuming an 17/18 year old won’t get stronger and improve their skating, than yes.

Otherwise you’re wrong.
Well the point of it is, that when their wheels aren't great at 17-18, usually they don't end up being good later on. By that age, usually it is what it is going to be.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
He’s not slow, his speed is average.

The knock is his stride, which needs work but can be fixed. He’s certainly not slow.

Slow is pretty hyperbolic, imo.
He has another issue- a lack of a backhand. His wrist shot is grade A and he can one-time the puck from the right side. But I have yet to see him set-up a teammate or score in close with the use of a backhand on any video. None.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Well the point of it is, that when their wheels aren't great at 17-18, usually they don't end up being good later on. By that age, usually it is what it is going to be.

Good vs average. That’s what you’re missing, I’m saying you can clean up your skating and get stronger and become an average skater in the NHL. (Enough to keep up with the pace)

Going from “not great” as a youth to “good” as a pro? Yeah probably a stretch, I agree.

Look, all im saying is the “average skater” thing gets thrown around a lot in scouting circles and sometimes gets blown out of proportion. I don’t think Sillingers skating will hinder what he can be as a pro. That’s all.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
He has another issue- a lack of a backhand. His wrist shot is grade A and he can one-time the puck from the right side. But I have yet to see him set-up a teammate or score in close with the use of a backhand on any video. None.

Yeah I haven’t watched enough to see that (not saying you’re wrong)

But his calling card is definitely his shot. One of the best in the draft.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Good vs average. That’s what you’re missing, I’m saying you can clean up your skating and get stronger and become an average skater in the NHL. (Enough to keep up with the pace)

Going from “not great” as a youth to “good” as a pro? Yeah probably a stretch, I agree.

Look, all im saying is the “average skater” thing gets thrown around a lot in scouting circles and sometimes gets blown out of proportion. I don’t think Sillingers skating will hinder what he can be as a pro. That’s all.
I get what you're saying. For me though, when a prospect's skating comes into question, I'm ready to look elsewhere.

Cold Steel on Ice

Feb 12, 2020
I want 6'2 plus and 200 lbs with speed.The playoffs are still a grind and we need some bigger guys down the road if we are going to have a long run at it.I haven't really researched who is eligible that might have these traits.Interested to hear some about some players that might be a fit.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Based on current points capture per GP,Hawks are 12th best in the league ...If it ends that way,Hawks woukd draft which would before have been 31-12p = 19th draft slot but slides 1 more spot to 20th because of Seattle ..

So of course from now till tge finish Hawks might drop back or move up 1,2 or 3 spots...so expect (barring too much playoff success if we make it) that we are probably drafting 17-23 range ..

At the moment Colton Dach is mot in the first round on most lists...Will he still be there for us at pick 41 to 45 in round two?

Maybe Hawks should trade down a few more spots in round one to get another round two pick as the sweetener...and instead grab Dach in the last 5 or 6 picks of round one if we really do not want to take tge chance he is not there in round 2 at our pick there?

Unless they believe anyone else in picks 17-23 will have more impact than Colton Dach once fully developed ,I would try do the move down move and use tge sweetener pickerel if just a late roubdc2nd to grab an interesting asset for development there.

Of course it woukd be different if we drafted top 12 maybe eventually topic...but after that it is all more uncertain guessing anyway ...so might as well load up all the assets you can get

Colton Dach should bea solid prospect but probably not as good as his brother ...but in this draft there may not be much difference between grabbing him late 20s or hoping he is still there to grab in the early to mid 40s...

If it was me drafting I want to go heavy on forwards in most of our picks ...plus try to get sonecroght shot forwards and sineccentres if possible...

Colton Dach shouts left but still would be nice to add size in our forwards prospects ....so where we are goibgvtovdraft do nit give a stupid BPA argument becausextgerecwilk be no clear BOA remaining .

IF the Hawks stumble backwatds the rest of tgexway and move into a lottery pick and get lucky that woukd drastically change plans...but it seems we are too unlikely to falk that much if our goaltending keeps holding up.

Yes we play TB FLA and CAR and DALLAS a lit more but our points attire is superior to Dallas (1.238 standings points per games played vs. 1.066 for Dallas.... So we should be at least capable of splitting points with them...

We can win or capture lower points agaibst Carolina even if their points capture is better than us...but with the 2 Florida teans we seem to have big trouble ....esoecially if Florida keeps getting exceptional goaltending from Driedger ...but perhaps tgey come back down a bit to what was expected of them by tge tinecthey pkay us again...TB has too much forcus unless a waive of injuries hits them.
So I do not expect many points taken from remains games we have with them.

Where we draft might depend on those Dallas games and how many we can get off them.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Dylan Guenther with 2 goals and 2 assists in the WHL return to play. It would be hard to argue against him being the best goal scorer in this draft. It should not be a shock if he is the first forward off the board.

Reactions: d rake

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well we want it all in 1 package...size strength speed scorobg and 2 way pkay...Evrn more we want a Centre who checks all the boxes and is Great at faceoffs ...Finally he must be a Right Shot.

Sorry to tell you all..Such a dream prospect does not exist...neither at #1 let alone where Hawks will draft on the hoght teens to early 20s..

And you are not getting this perfect player for our needs either in later rounds.

So the alternative is to pick an imperfect checklist guy but who has some good qualities you think project to a top six scorer with the first pick.

With the 2nd rounder you fill the size need and hope the kid develops into a top six forward or center but who if not will at least help as a 3rd liner two way guy who can score well enogh to be in that top nine.
If this guy is a right shot and can play Center all the better ..Or if you see a left shot winger with size and good board work and who is a "work in progress" who you think you can develope better...you go for that if the the alternative at Center is off the board.

In round 3 and 4 you try to add 2 more big right shot wingers with maybe some latent potential to be better than bottom six forwatd for support group .

If you follow this plan I think you fill future forward needs to a tee.

IF we can trade CdH for another 2nd maybe we get both targets I outlined for the 2nd round?

So here is my plan assuming we draft high teens to early 20s:

1st Round: RW shoots L ...PROKHOR POLTAPOV

MHL Russia Jrs.

....main reasons....electric speed ...good stats...equally good shooter to passer ...gets to open spaces to shoot ...ie.separates from checkers...good puck control through checks.. VERY GOOD at zone entries.(3.5 per game) ..Also goodcat takeaways (2.5 per game).

Drawback: size 5'11 174 ...most of his stats this year came as 17 year old...jus ttrned 18..

2nd Round:

20g 25a in 48GP..(MHL)

2ND Round:

If we have only 1 pick then

Target #1 = KALLE VAISANEN 6'4 176

Shots R 6"4 176

Can play LW or Center...my understanding from reports is he plays a 2C role for his Finnish SM-Liga A Jr. Team ...drawing the tough checking assignments ...

Turned 18 Jan.28th..

26GP 8g 29a +12 .

Scouting reports say exceptional mobility ...

Only saw 1 ranking for him at #64 by DraftvProspects Hockey ...but easily coukd go latec30s to 40s with that intriguing bunch of assets he brings...

Obviously you project even better once he fills that big frame and gets even stronger..

2nd target for Round 2 if we get a 2nd rounder for DeHaan) :

Colton Dach LW 6'2 190+ ...obviously with no WHK games played yet hard to assess his progress ifcany over last season...Shoots Left.

Proverbial Work in Progress typecast for 2ndcroubd...may be a netter risk 3rd round ..but some teams may gamble on the bloid lines.. Though tat is risky...rarely do brothers match the ability of a brother who went much higher as an early 1st rounder like Kirby was ..

So do we gamble on with our 2nd? I say not if we have only 1 2nd but yes if we get an extra 2nd ...or if he lasts to our 3rd roubder of course.
He is not a big as Kirby ..not as good as Kirby with
the stats going into his draft season which he has not yet played a game for scouts to see because of Covid restrictions..If he tears up tge WHL when they finally play then thus could change bigtime.

After round 2:

2 big Russian forward targes...both shoot Right.

Matvey Petrov LW shoots R....6'2 181 turns 18 March 12th

53 MHL GP 20g 18a +7 ...rated #40 to #55 on most rankings...hope he lasts to our 3rd rounder ...butbif we had an extrax2nd but Colton Dach off the board before we exercise that extra 2nd then I woukd grab this guy there.

Adding to our R shot stable of forward prospects.

Another Big R shot forward up next:

MAXiM KROVYAKOV 6'3 181

42 pts in 47 MHL games played for his team

15g 27a +10 ...

He is older....was bypassed last draft but made some lists of top 15 Russian for tgat draft ...Turns 19 in May...obviously improved a lot this season.

Exoect that he goes 3rd or 4th round this draft.

Will we get all 5 of these targets in the first 4 rounds by some miracle?

Of course not...knowing Stan and Kelley,I would be amazed we got even 1 of them...

But if we could get 2 or 3 ofvtgesec5v,I woukd be quite haooy.

I think I have reasoned out a goid draft target list for our first 4 selections maybe 5 if we got that extra 2nd for CdH at the TDL ...

But while this is well reasoned out for our system needs , when have you known Stan and Kelley to think logically...insteadc theywill waste pcks on too many Leftvshots...not enough Big Centers , too poor in skating,too one -way guys who do not defend well ..and too many who defend ok but are deficient in offense...and of course too many smurfs ...and finally.. of course...too many who cannot win acdraw for us.

Look...you cannotvgetveverythibg..butcO thnk my targets represent a goid mix for our needs..To fill out rounds 5-7 add anotger goalie prospect orv wo
And find a faceoff guy like a Glendenning .

Stop drafting USBTDP guys who never seem to work out big for us with anybimoact at all.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Well we want it all in 1 package...size strength speed scorobg and 2 way pkay...Evrn more we want a Centre who checks all the boxes and is terfic at faceoffs ...Finally he must bexa Roghtvsjot.

Sorry to tell you all..Sich a dream prospect does not exist...neither at #1 let alone where Hawkscwill draft on the hoght teens to early 20s..

And you are nit getting this perfect player for our needs either in later rounds.

So th e alternative is to puck an imperfect checklist guy but who has some good qualities you think project to a top six scorer with the first pick.

With thec2nd rounder you fill the size need and hope the kid develops into a top six forward or center but who if notcwill at least help as a 3rd liner two way guy who can score well-nigh to be in that top none.
If this guy is a right shotvand can pkay Center all the better ..Or if you see a left shot winger with size and good board work and who is a "work in progress" who you think you can devote better...you go for that if the the alternative at Center is off the board.

In round 3 and 4 you try to add 2 more big right shot wingers with maybe some latent potential to be better than botyom six forwatdscofvthe support group .

If you follow this plan I think you fill future forward needs to a tee.

IF we can trade Adriaan for another 2nd maybe we get both targets I outlined forvtgec2nd round?

So here is my plan assuming we fraft high teens to early 20s:

1stcRound...RW shoots Left Pavel Poltapov MHL Russia...main reasons....electric speed ...goidcstats...equally good shooter to passer ...getscintonopen spaces to shoot ...ie.separatescfrom checkers...good puck control through checks.. VEarY GOODcat zone entries...Also goidcat takeaways...

Drawback: size 5'11 174 ...most of his sts this year came as 17 year old...jus ttrned 18..

2nd Round:

If we have only 1 pick then

Target #1 = KALLE VAISANEN 6'4 176
Shoot

So you made up a fictional player just to tell us he doesn’t exist?

This is some rock solid posting.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
This next month is going to be the true tell if this team is legit or just catching lightning in a bottle. Either way it has been nice to cheer them on and win a few games.

Maybe Stan can add one or two forwards for depth as long it doesn't cost much?

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
This next month is going to be the true tell if this team is legit or just catching lightning in a bottle. Either way it has been nice to cheer them on and win a few games.

Maybe Stan can add one or two forwards for depth as long it doesn't cost much?
3 games against Tampa
2 games against Dallas
2 games against Florida
2 games against Tampa
2 games against Florida
2 games against Nashville
2 games against Carolina
2 games against Nashville
2 games against Dallas

most are on the road, this should be fun

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Starting to lean towards William Eklund being the best player in this year's draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad