NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There are provisions in the protocols that allow the exemption of the Leafs and Raptors.

And the Senators if talking about pro teams.
The provisions are for training of elite athletes,NHL. NBA, MLS,CFL and Olympic like athletes. Provisions don’t determine games yet, that’s up provincial health authorities still.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If the border opens up in the near future (which it won't), the Raptors 'could' play the 2nd half in Toronto. It's one reason why half the schedule was released.

Realistically, they'll play the whole season in Tampa

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If the border opens up in the near future (which it won't), the Raptors 'could' play the 2nd half in Toronto. It's one reason why half the schedule was released.

Realistically, they'll play the whole season in Tampa
May was the last timeline given for border issues..... MLSE basically signed off w/ Amalie Arena to lease that facility for 2020/2021

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

And people suggest that the NHL should have even less games to avoid the summer games when the SCFs possible game 7 day is 2 weeks before the summer games supposely (if it still gonna happen) will start

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

And people suggest that the NHL should have even less games to avoid the summer games when the SCFs possible game 7 day is 2 weeks before the summer games supposely (if it still gonna happen) will start

Tokyo 2021 will happen, tommy, NBC Universal Has planned that out..... because it affects other existing sports contracts.....

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

I think most people are concerned about games being postponed due to COVID, and whether that 2wk buffer is enough to cover the missing games. Consider that a single COVID post-ponement for a team could be a delay of 2 weeks of games, to begin with. If there are too many postponements, we might just end up seeing a shortened regular season, again. And hope for the best in the playoffs.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think most people are concerned about games being postponed due to COVID, and whether that 2wk buffer is enough to cover the missing games. Consider that a single COVID post-ponement for a team could be a delay of 2 weeks of games, to begin with. If there are too many postponements, we might just end up seeing a shortened regular season, again. And hope for the best in the playoffs.

there wouldn't have been an agreement on a 56 game season.....

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Tokyo has nothing to do with the NHL Condensed schedule.... since it's a summer Olympics ... if this was a winter Olympiad you'd see the chatter about releasing NHL Players to play for their National teams, etc.

I think you underestimate how much the NHL takes into consideration the Tokyo olympics. It's not about NHL playing in the olympics, it's about those that own the TV contracts not wanting them to overlap because they want to be able to televise both without them competing with one another.

When discussing the 2020 playoffs, we can clearly see that the commissioner indicates that the olympics being moved allows the NHL a broader window of when they can play. They were working around the olympic schedule then, and they're working around the olympic schedule now:

Gary Bettman: No Olympics gives NHL ‘broader window’ to play in summer - TSN.ca

“I do believe we can play into the summer, well into the summer,” Bettman said. “And on the NBC platform, the fact the Olympics have been postponed gives us a broader window to focus on when and how we can play.”

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Tokyo has nothing to do with the NHL Condensed schedule.... since it's a summer Olympics ... if this was a winter Olympiad you'd see the chatter about releasing NHL Players to play for their National teams, etc.

Tokyo Olympics had everything to do with the schedule. It's as simple as N...B...C....

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Looks like 3 day buffer May 8-11
Likely points percentage again

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
And on the ice

That new off-side definition will make it easier for cameras to catch it.

IMO cameras/computers should be the ones announcing off-sides anyways. Nothing against linesmen but that part of their job would be handled better by technology.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That new off-side definition will make it easier for cameras to catch it.

IMO cameras/computers should be the ones announcing off-sides anyways. Nothing against linesmen but that part of their job would be handled better by technology.

That'll never happen.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think you underestimate how much the NHL takes into consideration the Tokyo olympics. It's not about NHL playing in the olympics, it's about those that own the TV contracts not wanting them to overlap because they want to be able to televise both without them competing with one another.

When discussing the 2020 playoffs, we can clearly see that the commissioner indicates that the olympics being moved allows the NHL a broader window of when they can play. They were working around the olympic schedule then, and they're working around the olympic schedule now:

Gary Bettman: No Olympics gives NHL ‘broader window’ to play in summer - TSN.ca
false....

how do I know

NASCAR's contract pre-pandemic in 2020 and the 2021 season contract were adjusted to Tokyo's broadcast window...once those dates were confirmed.... it's why Watkins Glen's XFINITY Race on 8/7/21, IS allocated to CNBC.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
false....

how do I know

NASCAR's contract pre-pandemic in 2020 and the 2021 season contract were adjusted to Tokyo's broadcast window...once those dates were confirmed.... it's why Watkins Glen's XFINITY Race on 8/7/21, IS allocated to CNBC.

True. how do i know? i provided a direct quote from the commissioner of the league, and not some anecdote from a different league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad