Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Roslovic is looking like a very savvy pick, as does Morrissey. Add that to Scheifele and you have a decent track record for identifying good talent. You could also look at other picks like Petan, Spacek, Foley, Poolman that look okay and the result of a balanced scouting strategy.

Absolutely. Scheifele, Lowry, Helle, Morrissey, Petan, Comrie, Copp, Poolman, Ehlers, De Leo, Roslovic, Harkins, Foley, Spacek, Niku, Gennaro and Green are all solid picks. Connor and Laine were definitely gimme picks though. We had no business being able to snag either one of them but some terrible moves by Boston and a golden horseshoe up our ass helped us out there.

Sorry you can't pick and choose.... Both those picks count as pluses just like Standley might be a bad pick.....

If you want to give the scouts participation trophies so be it. I won't give them an A+ for not screwing up. Sorry but that's not how I work. I absolutely can pick and choose, in fact I just did. Does Edmonton's scouts get an A+ for drafting McDavid? It's a gimme. You don't get points for a gimme. Stanley could absolutely still be a bad pick though. Because he wasn't a gimme we actually made moves to acquire him. There is a stark difference.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Pettersson, Suzuki, Mittelstadt and Necas all have top 6 upside as centers.

Those same questioned were brought up about Chychrun around the time of the draft. There were questions about his IQ and work ethic. I think it's just a case over scouting.

I expect all of those C's except Suzuki to be gone before 12. I wouldn't mind taking Suzuki if all of my other preferred players were gone at our turn. Maybe if we fall today that will be possible. He scored at a little better clip than Glass in a slightly lower scoring league (I think). Prefer him to Rasmussen.

Yes, I know it is similar to how Chychrun dropped last year. I never quite bought into it then. For some reason I do this time. Maybe it is his lack of scoring stats to counter the negativity.

Sometimes a pick will drop for no goof reason. Other times there will be very good reason - stay away. The trick is figuring out which is which.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Tall and weak is not an advantage. Scheifele's improved play is largely due to gaining additional power and speed.

It would be foolish not to project future productivity based somewhat on physical development.

Very tall 17 year olds often take more time to match their size with strength and coordination, which can constrain their productivity at that stage.

Yes. There are no hard and fast rules cast in stone that equal perfect drafting of, really kids. Some judgement has to be used. Scouting is necessary to refine the rough binning that can be done from the raw numbers. Apparently there are a lot of 'wrong' paths available that scouts can go down. Overvaluing size is one commonly taken. Completely ignoring it would also be a mistake. I always like big players. If they are good. Having always been smaller I know how much of a disadvantage it can be. I also know that big does not = good.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Absolutely. Scheifele, Lowry, Helle, Morrissey, Petan, Comrie, Copp, Poolman, Ehlers, De Leo, Roslovic, Harkins, Foley, Spacek, Niku, Gennaro and Green are all solid picks. Connor and Laine were definitely gimme picks though. We had no business being able to snag either one of them but some terrible moves by Boston and a golden horseshoe up our ass helped us out there.

If you want to give the scouts participation trophies so be it. I won't give them an A+ for not screwing up. Sorry but that's not how I work. I absolutely can pick and choose, in fact I just did. Does Edmonton's scouts get an A+ for drafting McDavid? It's a gimme. You don't get points for a gimme. Stanley could absolutely still be a bad pick though. Because he wasn't a gimme we actually made moves to acquire him. There is a stark difference.

Lottory picks aren't always gimmies though. It does require some decent scouting work not bungle picks. Look at Edmonton with RNH, Yakupov. Montreal with Gelchenyuk and Columbus with Murray. You can easily bungle top picks if you don't do proper due diligence.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Lottory picks aren't always gimmies though. It does require some decent scouting work not bungle picks. Look at Edmonton with RNH, Yakupov. Montreal with Gelchenyuk and Columbus with Murray. You can easily bungle top picks if you don't do proper due diligence.

those were crap drafts though to be fair. when you have a matthews/laine or mcdavid/eichel at the top it's much harder to screw up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Let's do a little pre-lotto mock going by who is getting the most tak on their teams boards up to us.

1. Colorado- Patrick
2. Vancouver - Hischier
3. LV - Vilardi (Lots of talk of Heiskanen as well)
4. Arizona - Heiskanen
5. NJ - Glass (Between Glass/Mittelstadt)
6. Buffaloni - Makar (want Heiskanen)
7. Detroit - Liljegren (want Heiskanen)
8. Dallas - Suzuki (want Heiskanen)
9. Florida - Tippet
10. LA - Pettersson (Would also take Necas)
11. Carolina - Vesalainen (Want Suzuki)

Interestingly enough a lot of boards are very hesitant of Rasmussen and Liljegren. Tons of boards are in love with Heiskanen and Makar. Glass and Suzuki are also getting a lot of love.

This leaves Valimaki, Necas, Mittelstadt, Foote, Rasmussen, Tolvanen, Andersson, Yamamoto, Poehling, Brannstrom, Kostin, etc.

Still a decent crop to choose from I'd probably rally around Mittelstadt or Valimaki at our spot. Really want Glass or Suzuki though.

I'll accept your guesses of who takes whom except I think Mittelstadt goes before Suzuki.

I'd have Valimaki and Suzuki on the short list. Think I go for Valimaki.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Considering the fact that they moved up for him, they must have seen something there. On the other hand, there's a decent argument to be made about Chevy being scared of all the defensemen flying off the board, and he didn't want to be left empty handed. God knows. I'm hoping for the best, though, as should everyone.

Not necessarily. Some comments I heard said that they think they saw something special. OTOH Hillier just gushed about size. I honestly just about upchucked when I heard him.

Just because they think they saw something doesn't mean it was there or that it is as significant as they think. Time will tell. :)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah those drafts are a bit different though. You can't possibly drop the ball with a Matthews/Laine 2nd pick. It's a no brainer you basically take whoever is left. Someone who barely pays attention to scouting should be able to make that pick.

I'll accept your guesses of who takes whom except I think Mittelstadt goes before Suzuki.

I'd have Valimaki and Suzuki on the short list. Think I go for Valimaki.

Oh yeah it could go wildly different. I was just guessing based on what fans want on their boards. Who the fans want and who the teams want are always wildly different.
Example A: Boston Bruins 2015.

Valimaki, Suzuki and Mittelstadt are my picks for 12. One should be available. If none of them are that means a top guy fell to us.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I remember both saying that the Jets are really interested in Stanley. Obviously they aren't going to leak the pick because they have no idea if he is going to be there or not but I think someone definitely was out telling people the Jets really like Stanley. Otherwise how would they know? That's a pretty specific guess that just happened to be right by two people who have some inside knowledge? To much of a coincidence for that to be true. I believe both of them had been told that the Jets really want Stanley from someone within the organization and both made that public before the draft.

How many scouts and managers are in on the meeting? About a dozen? More? To know that "the Jets are really interested in Stanley" a person would only need to hear 2 or 3 of those people pumping him. That indicates a lot of interest. It does not equal a decision that could be leaked. Hypothetically, 1 scout tells Garrett, in conversation, that he intends to push for Stanley - when the meeting comes. Maybe 2 have similar conversations. That would be enough to prompt Garrett's 'hint'. IIRC he said something like, 'don't be surprised if'.

I'm just spitballing here. There was clearly something there. Buzz does not = leak.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

You can pick and choose if it makes you feel better.... Whatever floats your boat :D

I just prefer to take all facts into account when making a decision not just the ones I find convenient :D

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
i wonder if the jets are looking at timmins. seems like someone they'd like

I'd love Timmins. So underrated. **** if the Jets went off board and nabbed him at 12 I wouldn't be all that upset. Heck of a skater and can distribute the puck very well. Also has a pretty hard shot from the backend. Plays well in his own zone and is physical. He just isn't very flashy. Which is why he is underrated.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You can pick and choose if it makes you feel better.... Whatever floats your boat :D

I just prefer to take all facts into account when making a decision not just the ones I find convenient :D

Well the facts are a monkey could have made that 2nd overall pick. :sarcasm:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How many scouts and managers are in on the meeting? About a dozen? More? To know that "the Jets are really interested in Stanley" a person would only need to hear 2 or 3 of those people pumping him. That indicates a lot of interest. It does not equal a decision that could be leaked. Hypothetically, 1 scout tells Garrett, in conversation, that he intends to push for Stanley - when the meeting comes. Maybe 2 have similar conversations. That would be enough to prompt Garrett's 'hint'. IIRC he said something like, 'don't be surprised if'.

I'm just spitballing here. There was clearly something there. Buzz does not = leak.

At the same time where there's smoke there is usually fire. Unless it's Eklund...

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I'd love Timmins. So underrated. **** if the Jets went off board and nabbed him at 12 I wouldn't be all that upset. Heck of a skater and can distribute the puck very well. Also has a pretty hard shot from the backend. Plays well in his own zone and is physical. He just isn't very flashy. Which is why he is underrated.

wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what they did. or possibly hague? wouldn't hate it but i'd still prefer valimaki there.. guess we'll see if those comments are true soon.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what they did. or possibly hague? wouldn't hate it but i'd still prefer valimaki there.. guess we'll see if those comments are true soon.

Hopefully we won't have to see because we win a lotto pick. :naughty:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Timmins is also one of the oldest in this draft class - missed eligibility for 2016 draft by a few days.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I want P.O. Joseph. 12 is too early though and 43 will be too late.

What would the value chart say about trading 12 for AZ's 22 and 35?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad