NHL 2017/2018 TV ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Ok, we can compare apples and apples:

MLS playoffs TV ratings 2017 on ESPN/ESPN2 (without MLS Cup): 343k
NHL playoffs TV ratings 2018 on NBC/NBCSN (without Stanley Cup Final): 1.1M

Yes that is a much better comparison about 3 times the ratings for post season for NHL. NHL 417k 2017/18 season has a regular season average that is a little less than 1.5 times MLS current average 281k, BUT that gap is getting smaller every year as MLS regular season audience growth is far outpacing NHL's. MLS needs to do a better job of expanding it's Playoff Audience beyond just MLS Cup. They gotta be MUCH better at that.
That said at the time of their last TV deal in 2014 MLS was able to get basically half of what NHL got for rights fees in the US with much lesser far weaker TV numbers than now in 2014, which speaks volumes to were broadcasters view the leagues. Some of that can be put on NHL stupidly locking themselves into a exclusive deal but as I said earlier they have been in the NBC deal so long that the sports landscape is so congested and a much different place. I'm not sure they can capitalize on a far better TV deal without being relegated in coverage. They can get slightly more TV money at the cost of losing their preferred status on NBCSN the "Hockey" channel. Having non exclusive deals for leagues like NHL/MLS are long term dividends, you get multiple networks involved and you multiply your monies over each TV deal.

In a exclusive deal NHL won't get more than $500 mil per yr, if they split the deal NBC would significantly cut that offer because why pay more for less? So NHL will have to count on another partner overpaying or matching the current market offer of say $250-300 mil from NBC to get a total of around maybe $650 mil per yr US.

Do you hope you can get $650 mil from ESPN/FOX and lose the preferential treatment we get with NBC? Which would IMO hurt any potential growth or do you take the $ 500 mil with NBC hope you can patch up the relationship and put in common interest clauses BUT maintain our preferred status on a network? That's a very interesting debate that I think we should be having.

Now I'm not saying MLS is more popular than NHL just that its growing and making SMART moves their Commissioner Don Garber wisely decided with their TV deals back in the day in 2014 they could only get $50 mil per yr from a exclusive deal but if they could keep divvying up their TV package to networks they could get way more money in the long term. I've been a fan of Bettman but his biggest weakness has been TV deals. We have 1 TV partner most other Major US leagues have 3 including MLS. We've been locked into this deal so long it will be very hard to just move to another network because the sports tv market is more crowded than we think. Networks are not gonna be in a rush to bump off cheaper sports programming that get equal to or larger ratings just to pay NHL more money. That's exactly what happened with ESPN back in the day. We had the strike and then they discovered they could get better or just about the same ratings while paying less for other programming.

MLS has the benefit of packaging their TV rights with some of the bigger soccer events on TV. Networks know if they want to have favorable negotiations for the WC they have to play nice with MLS. That won't change anytime soon.

Last edited:

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
NBCSN got 3.78m for game 2, Canada was 3.4m. I feel like that Canada number does not include TVA Sports.

That was for game 2 Mr. Jason Lemieux

The US numbers represent households I believe not individuals. How are the Canadian numbers derived exactly and how credible are they? I don't think I've ever seen it explained how they get the ratings in Canada.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Realistically they'd be way better off taking less money for more coverage from NBC.

... And ESPN has proven in the past that their offers are garbage compared to NBC's. If I recall correctly during the last negotiation, they offered a third of the money for a quarter of the coverage. Granted, times have changed and networks are starving for content.

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Realistically they'd be way better off taking less money for more coverage from NBC.

... And ESPN has proven in the past that their offers are garbage compared to NBC's. If I recall correctly during the last negotiation, they offered a third of the money for a quarter of the coverage. Granted, times have changed and networks are starving for content.

My thinking as well alot of people often remember fondly on things from the past. But there was a good reason we left ESPN.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
My thinking as well alot of people often remember fondly on things from the past. But there was a good reason we left ESPN.

Those people choose to remember Gary Thorne and choose to forget the days where they bumped games to ESPN Classic in favor of poker tournaments...

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yes that is a much better comparison about 3 times the ratings for post season for NHL. and NHL has a regular season average that is about 1.5 times larger than MLS average BUT that gap is getting smaller every year as MLS regular season audience growth is far outpacing NHL's. MLS needs to do a better job of expanding it Playoff Audience beyond just MLS Cup. They gotta be MUCH better at that.
That said at the time of their last TV deal in 2014 MLS was able to get basically half of what NHL got for rights fees in the US with much lesser far weaker TV numbers than in 2014 speaks volumes to were broadcaster view the leagues. Some of that can be put on NHL stupidly locking themselves into a exclusive deal but as I said earlier they have been in the NBC deal so long that the sports landscape is so congested a much different place. I'm not sure they can capitalize on a far better TV deal without being relegated in coverage. They can get slight more TV money at the cost of losing their preferred status on NBCSN the "Hockey" channel. Have non exclusive deals for a league like NHL/MLS are long term dividends, you get multiple networks involved and you multiply your monies over each TV deal.

In a exclusive deal NHL won't get more than $500 mil per yr if they split the deal NBC would significantly cut that offer because why pay more for less? So NHL will have to count on another partner overpaying or matching the current market offer of say $250-300 mil from NBC to get a total of around maybe $650 mil per yr US.

Do yo hope you can get $650 mil from ESPN/FOX and lose the preferential treatment we get with NBC which would IMO hurts any potential growth or do you take the $ 500 mil with NBC hope you can patch up the relationship and put in common interest clauses BUT maintain our preferred status on a network. That's a very interesting debate that I think we should be having.

Now I' not saying MLS is more popular than NHL just that its growing and making SMART moves their Commissioner Don Garber wisely decided with their TV deals back in the day in 2014 they could only get $50 mil per yr from a exclusive deal but if they could keep divvying up their TV package to networks they could get way more money in the long term. I've been a fan of Bettman but his biggest weakness has been TV deals. We have 1 TV partner most other Major US leagues have 3 including MLS. We've been locked into this deal so long it will be very hard to just move to another network because the sports tv market is more crowded than we think. Networks are not gonna be in a rush to bump off cheaper sports programming that get equal to or larger ratings just to pay NHL more money. That's exactly what happened with ESPN back in the day. We had the strike and then they discovered they could get better or just about the same ratings while paying less for other programming.

MLS has the benefit of packaging their TV rights with some of the bigger soccer events on TV. Networks know if they want to have favorable negotiations for the WC they have to play nice with MLS. That won't change anytime soon.

MLS took the biggest offer they had in 2014. They technically didn’t divvy up the rights, ESPN and Fox partnered to lock NBC out of the rights. Only one bid was submitted for the two networks (as at the time FOX and ESPN’s strategy was to partner on rights to limit the growth of Comcast’s NBCSN).

MLS’s problem when it comes to the late season is that it goes up against college football and the NFL. Their Sunday timeslot goes right up against the 4:25 NFL Sunday game (which is usually the 1 or 2 marquee game of the week) and as such MLS ratings drop through the floor during that time.

They took the money, but in that regard it is an awful deal and doesn’t set themselves up for success.

If I’m the NHL I’m not sure I would welcome an ESPN/FOX joint deal. You would be potentially killing off NBCSN and leaving you with dealing with a monopoly power moving forward (which is how the NHL rights plummeted in the mid 00’s).

The NHL rights values have always been more of a bulk play rather than being able to sell individual games like NFL (and lesser extent NBA). It is in the league long term interest to always keep 3 independent bidders in the fold.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Last time (2012) ESPN in terms of content offered a similar number of game as VS/NBCSN (over ESPN and espn2) was airing plus a guarantee that all playoff games wouldnare nationally.

NBC ended up matching (which is why we now have playoff games on CNBC, USA and golf), plus committed to a significant broadcast portion and paid more money.

2005 was when ESPN (then basically a monopoly for cable sports) tried to squeeze the NHL by offering only 40 games on ESPN2 for like $30 million. That led the league turning to Comcast and the OLN/Versus deal.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
MLS took the biggest offer they had in 2014. They technically didn’t divvy up the rights, ESPN and Fox partnered to lock NBC out of the rights. Only one bid was submitted for the two networks (as at the time FOX and ESPN’s strategy was to partner on rights to limit the growth of Comcast’s NBCSN).

MLS’s problem when it comes to the late season is that it goes up against college football and the NFL. Their Sunday timeslot goes right up against the 4:25 NFL Sunday game (which is usually the 1 or 2 marquee game of the week) and as such MLS ratings drop through the floor during that time.

They took the money, but in that regard it is an awful deal and doesn’t set themselves up for success.

If I’m the NHL I’m not sure I would welcome an ESPN/FOX joint deal. You would be potentially killing off NBCSN and leaving you with dealing with a monopoly power moving forward (which is how the NHL rights plummeted in the mid 00’s).

The NHL rights values have always been more of a bulk play rather than being able to sell individual games like NFL (and lesser extent NBA). It is in the league long term interest to always keep 3 independent bidders in the fold.

I agree with everything but your point of setting themselves up for success. What they've accomplished from nothing to where they are now is amazing.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Ratings should get a spike for games 4 and 5 with all games being on NBC the rest of the way.

A game 7 this year would be huge for the NHL. I suspect 8 mill+ from the US alone

razor ray

May 8, 2011
If yesterday game was on NBC it would of been huge. Nothing major to compete with last night. Still good numbers for NBCSN though.

NBC absolutely fleeced the the NHL with that TV deal.

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
Saturday’s Golden Knights-Capitals Stanley Cup Final Game 3 earned a 2.5 overnight rating on NBCSN, up 14% from Penguins-Predators last year (2.2), up 32% from Penguins-Sharks in 2016 (1.9), and the highest Game 3 overnight in three years (2015 Lightning-Blackhawks: 2.9).
Washington’s win was the third straight game in the series to hit a three-year high in the metered markets.

Stanley Cup Final Ratings: Game 3 Overnights Up - Sports Media Watch

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
Stanley Cup Final:

Game 1: WASHINGTON/VEGAS 5.2M (NBC)
Game 2: WASHINGTON/VEGAS 3.6M (NBCSN)
Game 3: VEGAS/WASHINGTON 3.4M (NBCSN)

The Game 3 TAD of 3.576 million viewers, according to Fast National data by the Nielsen Company and streaming data by Adobe Analytics, was up 18% vs. last year’s Pittsburgh-Nashville Game 3 (3.033 million) on NBCSN, NBCSports.com, and the NBC Sports app, and up 25% vs. the comparable 2016 game (Pittsburgh-San Jose, 2.859 million).

SATURDAY NIGHT’S STANLEY CUP FINAL ON NBCSN IS MOST-WATCHED GAME 3 IN THREE YEARS

May 15, 2015
I swear every once in a while Richmond makes Top 10 in every major championship series, they sure love some pro sports...

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
What happened to the poster who would always hate on the Washington local ratings while praising the Vegas local ratings? Funny how he goes silent now that DC is pulling in monster ratings.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
What happened to the poster who would always hate on the Washington local ratings while praising the Vegas local ratings? Funny how he goes silent now that DC is pulling in monster ratings.

Andd...About to close it out (KNOCKS on wood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00