NHL 2017/2018 TV ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
Like I said up thread, the 78 games played in the first 3 rounds of this year's SC playoffs have combined for a higher average viewership than last season's one-off MLS final.

Point.

MLS Cup 2017: 1.1M (ESPN, UniMas, Univision Deportes Network)
Stanley Cup 2017 (most watched game): 7M (NBC)

Not even close...

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
both the NHL and MLS are on an uptick, but this is like comparing Walmart to your local popular grocery store. One does 100m in sales, one does 20m.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Point.

MLS Cup 2017: 1.1M (ESPN, UniMas, Univision Deportes Network)
Stanley Cup 2017 (most watched game): 7M (NBC)

Not even close...

To be fair playoff are apples to oranges because we play so many games MLS doesn't but if you are gonna use the Stanley Cup average of 4.7 MIL and use the 2016 MLS Cup that was on OTA cable had 2.1 mil viewers. that's a better comparison, since last year wasn't it will be back on OTA cable FOX. No way soccer could ever do a best of 5 or 7 series that'd be crazy.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
both the NHL and MLS are on an uptick, but this is like comparing Walmart to your local popular grocery store. One does 100m in sales, one does 20m.

I absolutely agree that NHL makes WAY more revenue but the comparison is off NHL is like Myspace in the 2000's and MLS is like Instagram this at the time start up relatively unknown. Just don't be surprised like we all were with MLS last TV deal where it jumped almost 5x fold. Going from 20 to 90 mil. I've just shown that they are outpacing us in regular season growth so much that they may surpass us on cable NBCSN. So yes I do expect that to play out for a bigger jump for them than us. We will get a bump just not as big you think especially if we have another regular season average decline like we've had since 2015. I think our best bet is to split our package 300 mil piece and hope NBC sports doesn't retaliate by low balling us for splitting up their package.

The thing is I'm just not seeing all of these options of where we could get another partner to pay us equally what NHL is and that's a BIG IF that NHL would give us anymore than 300 mil. I hear FOX thrown around as we used to be with FOX in the 90s, but the TV landscape has changed the explosion of College Football has taken them off the table FOX also has MLS and they can pay them half of 300 mil per yr 150 mil per yr to MLS to get better or the same Regular season Ratings. The ESPN has too much inventory NBA etc to properly give our game the coverage we'd want it to have and would be like it was before. So where do you go TBT/TBS nope they have NBA, March Madness.

The only big channel left is CBS.

Last edited:
Reactions: amethyst

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
To be fair playoff are apples to oranges because we play so many games MLS doesn't but if you are gonna use the Stanley Cup average of 4.7 MIL and use the 2016 MLS Cup that was on OTA cable had 2.1 mil viewers. that's a better comparison, since last year wasn't it will be back on OTA cable FOX. No way soccer could ever do a best of 5 or 7 series that'd be crazy.
2016 numbers were 1.4 million on FOX. 2017 on ESPN 800,000. Like Coinneach said....not even close

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
2016 numbers were 1.4 million on FOX. 2017 on ESPN 800,000. Like Coinneach said....not even close

2.1 mil you left out 600,000 US Spanish numbers on secondary Spanish channel Unimas. Point is NHL is a 100 yr old league MLS has been around not eve 25 yrs yet. So any attempts to negatively compare them to us isn't valid. Which is why I always highlight thats league positive growth as it rightly should be. To be what its been a 20 team league and to even come close to sniffing NHL a established Major league is an accomplishment. The thing that got this going was me pointing out som on this boards insecurity always feeling the need to take a jab at it and dismiss it. If they truly felt that our league was leaps in bounds better and that MLS wasn't even close to us in popularity and TV numbers why bother taking the jab. You don't see NBA, MLB worried about NHL they are focused on catching the big dog NFL. So that fact that some feel threatened enough to take jabs at MLS speaks volumes to our own insecurities in the NHL community. I don't feel insecure about it because I like both leagues and if one eventually outgrows the other that'd be fine with me. It's not going to make me like NHL any less.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
2.1 mil you left out 600,000 US Spanish numbers on secondary Spanish channel Unimas. Point is NHL is a 100 yr old league MLS has been around not eve 25 yrs yet. So any attempts to negatively compare them to us isn't valid. Which is why I always highlight thats league positive growth as it rightly should be. To be what its been a 20 team league and to even come close to sniffing NHL a established Major league is an accomplishment. The thing that got this going was me pointing out som on this boards insecurity always feeling the need to take a jab at it and dismiss it. If they truly felt that our league was leaps in bounds better and that MLS wasn't even close to us in popularity and TV numbers why bother taking the jab. You don't see NBA, MLB worried about NHL they are focused on catching the big dog NFL. So that fact that some feel threatened enough to take jabs at MLS speaks volumes to our own insecurities in the NHL community. I don't feel insecure about it because I like both leagues and if one eventually outgrows the other that'd be fine with me. It's not going to make me like NHL any less.
I'm comparing the Major US network against the major US network. Do you want me to add the CBC numbers to the NBC finals figures?

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Bookie21,

that is a great answer by you. WOW.. u really won that one bigly.. That CBC reference did it.....All u needed was a mic to drop and then walk away.

btw, it doesn't matter about ratings. Bottom line..... soccer will never match hockey...SOCCER IS BORING as hell.. and hockey is exciting. especially this yr with the way it's really opened up and goals are up bigly too..

Soccer is UNWATCHABLE. i am NOT sitting there for 90 min to watch a 0-0 score and see ONLY 2 scoring chances all game of shots that went over the net wide. I might watch the World Cup only if there's 2 good countries, and even that bores me with players passing 300x to each other or passes it back all the way to their goalie. BOOORING..

Soccer has helped me alot in life with insomnia.. there are times when i couldn't fall asleep and instead of taking a sleeping pill, i'd put on a soccer game and within 5 minutes, i am snoring. Thank You soccer.

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
I'm comparing the Major US network against the major US network. Do you want me to add the CBC numbers to the NBC finals figures?

No you can't compare FOX to EPSN. FOX is major US network and is in 30 million more US homes. ESPN is not a major US network its a popular cable network. You are acting like I was including Canadian numbers with the US numbers, for MLS Cup 2016 which combined was 3.5 mil, NHL combined is twice that normally. I included the US Spanish number because for soccer there are two TV market demographics English-Languae and Spanish language so if you report a US number for a MLS Final you have to include both audiences.

broadcast.JPG

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
No you can't compare FOX to EPSN. FOX is major US network and is in 30 million more US homes. ESPN is not a major US network its a popular cable network.

View attachment 123279
You're digging yourself a hole. I guess we can't compare the NBCSN numbers then to the NBC numbers as NBCSN isn't a major network. We'll just use the NBC numbers when comparing it to MLS

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012

Given that a third of the series was on cable comparing last years SC Final average to the 2016 MLS Cup isn't a great either, but even ignoring that, at the end of the day a pretty typical SC final delivered a total audience over 6 games of 28+ million and the most viewed MLS final in history was watched by 2.1 million.

I absolutely agree that NHL makes WAY more revenue but the comparison is off NHL is like Myspace in the 2000's and MLS is like Instagram this at the time start up relatively unknown. Just don't be surprised like we all were with MLS last TV deal where it jumped almost 5x fold. Going from 20 to 90 mil. I've just shown that they are outpacing us in regular season growth so much that they may surpass us on cable NBCSN. So yes I do expect that to play out for a bigger jump for them than us. We will get a bump just not as big you think especially if we have another regular season average decline like we've had since 2015. I think our best bet is to split our package 300 mil piece and hope NBC sports doesn't retaliate by low balling us for splitting up their package.

The NHL is Myspace now?:huh:

So far this season, based on your own numbers you posted up thread, MLS viewership on ESPN is flat and down a fair bit on FS1, so we might want to hold off on thinking MLS will continue to trend up for the foreseeable future.

The NHL seeing double digit declines over the past two regular seasons certainly isn't a good thing, but it has also seem a substantial bump in playoff viewership over the same period of time (I'm also not sure 2 years qualifies as a trend, I guess at the bare minimum it does, but...). I think you are putting too much weight behind the regular season numbers and not enough behind the playoff numbers. The difference between the number of regular season and playoff games broadcast isn't as substantial as you probably think... About 100 regular season games vs. 80 and counting playoff games.

The thing is I'm just not seeing all of these options of where we could get another partner to pay us equally what NHL is and that's a BIG IF that NHL would give us anymore than 300 mil. I hear FOX thrown around as we used to be with FOX in the 90s, but the TV landscape has changed the explosion of College Football has taken them off the table

College football overlaps with only the first three months of the NHL season, and even then it's not like it is played 7, or 6, or 5 days, or 4, or... days a week. Really, it's pretty much limited to Saturdays. If Fox is interested in the NHL (and they might not be :dunno:) it will have plenty of available windows to broadcast it.

FOX also has MLS and they can pay them half of 300 mil per yr 150 mil per yr to MLS to get better or the same Regular season Ratings. The ESPN has too much inventory NBA etc to properly give our game the coverage we'd want it to have and would be like it was before. So where do you go TBT/TBS nope they have NBA, March Madness.

The only big channel left is CBS.

If FOX is only going to pay $150 million for MLS it's going to be pretty hard for the league to hit the $400 million in domestic rights that you have been suggesting it's worth. Also, MLS might one day have equal or better regular season ratings than the NHL, but as things stand right now, the NHL attracts substantially larger audiences (40%) during the regular season, and the playoffs (which you seem to be downplaying for some reason) aren't even sorta-kinda close.

I do agree that there probably isn't room for the NHL at ESPN.

eddygee numbers included the Spanish broadcast(s).

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
You're digging yourself a hole. I guess we can't compare the NBCSN numbers then to the NBC numbers as NBCSN isn't a major network. We'll just use the NBC numbers when comparing it to MLS

No I'm not I have pointed out a obvious insecurity and I have heard crickets............ no need to bash MLS any chance you can if they are irrelevant to our league lets aim up not punch down. But we or some on here engage in punching down to make us feel better about NHL which is lame.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
No I'm not I have pointed out a obvious insecurity and I have heard crickets............ no need to bash MLS any chance you can if they are irrelevant to our league lets aim up not punch down. But we or some on here engage in punching down to make us feel better about NHL which is lame.

Looking at your posting history, you signed up on a hockey message board, not to talk about hockey with other hockey fans, but to lecture hockey fans about how popular soccer and MLS is... And you're calling other people insecure?

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

Given that a third of the series was on cable comparing last years SC Final average to the 2016 MLS Cup isn't a great either, but even ignoring that, at the end of the day a pretty typical SC final delivered a total audience over 6 games of 28+ million and the most viewed MLS final in history was watched by 2.1 million.

So far this season, based on your own numbers you posted up thread, MLS viewership on ESPN is flat and down a fair bit on FS1, so we might want to hold off on thinking MLS will continue to trend up for the foreseeable future.

The NHL seeing double digit declines over the past two regular seasons certainly isn't a good thing, but it has also seem a substantial bump in playoff viewership over the same period of time (I'm also not sure 2 years qualifies as a trend, I guess at the bare minimum it does, but...). I think you are putting too much weight behind the regular season numbers and not enough behind the playoff numbers. The difference between the number of regular season and playoff games broadcast isn't as substantial as you probably thinking... About 100 regular season games vs. 80 and counting playoff games.

College football overlaps with only the first three months of the NHL season, and even then it's not like it is played 7, or 6, or 5 days, or 4, or... days a week. Really, it's pretty much limited to Saturdays. If Fox is interested in the NHL it will have plenty of available windows to broadcast it.

If FOX is only going to pay $150 million for MLS it's going to be pretty hard for the league to hit the $400 million in domestic rights that you have been suggesting it's worth. Also, MLS might one day have equal or better regular season ratings than the NHL, but as things stand right now, the NHL attracts substantially larger audiences (40%) during the regular season, and the playoffs (which you seem to be downplaying for some reason) aren't even sorta-kinda close.

I do agree that there probably isn't room for the NHL at ESPN.

College football overlaps with only the first three months of the NHL season, and even then it's not like it is played 7, or 6, or 5 days, or 4, or... days a week... Really, it's pretty much limited to Saturdays. If Fox is interested in the NHL it will have plenty of available windows to broadcast it.

You posted way too much to read man but thanks for taking the time to respond. I will reply to a couple as I don't have time to read that much.

I used MySpace because back in the day MySpace was is isshh before sites like Facebook and Instagram took over the market. I guess if you disagree its ridiculous comparison so is comoparing NHL to Walmart and MLS to a local grocer lol that's crazy. If we are gonna compare using walmart NHL is Walmart and MLS is Kohls or Aldis.

I think they can get that much because the smart thing MLS did was have multiple TV partners ESPN/FOX/UNIVISON if the they can get $125-150 mil from each thats $375-450 mil per yr so thats where I get my reasoning. If NHL goes exclusive with NBC again I can totally see NBC saying we will give you 2 to 2.5 times what we give you now $400-500 mil. Both scenarios are not unlikely for MLS and NHL giving practically all of MLS new deals are being made increased by multiples of 3 to 4. Expecting a 3 to 4 times increase in TV money giving where ratings have been is far more unlikely for NHL.

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Looking at your posting history, you signed up on a hockey message board, not to talk about hockey with other hockey fans, but to lecture hockey fans about how popular soccer and MLS is... And you're calling other people insecure?

I've been a long term lurker causal poster since 2013. I've made no secret that I like both leagues so OF COURSE I'm going to call out poster of what is suppose to be a bigger league always taking pot shots at another league I follow. I view it as insecurity of some hockey fans here, not all because some recognize the truth in what I'm saying . Lets take shots up not down. We can certainly agree on that. I'm a Caps/ Redskins/Maryland/O's/MLS fan.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I've been a long term lurker causal poster since 2013. I've made no secret that I like both leagues so OF COURSE I'm going to call out what is suppose to be a bigger league always taking pot shots at another league I follow. I view it as insecurity. Lets take shots up not down. We can certainly agree on that. I'm a Caps/ Redskins/Maryland/O's/MLS fan.
uh, eddy, ESPN is part of the same corporate partner as ABC IN Disney.... the two are interchangable as NBC/NBCSN are as well as CBS/CBS Sports Network, as is Fox and its related FS1/2, the only change is ABC dissolved its sports division in 2006, when the corporate parent bought both networks, even ABC markets their sports contracts on its network... all of it comes from Bristol, CT/ESPN, they own it, operate it, produce it, call it what u will.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
uh, eddy, ESPN is part of the same corporate partner as ABC IN Disney.... the two are interchangable as NBC/NBCSN are as well as CBS/CBS Sports Network, as is Fox and its related FS1/2, the only change is ABC dissolved its sports division in 2006, when the corporate parent bought both networks, even ABC markets their sports contracts on its network... all of it comes from Bristol, CT/ESPN, they own it, operate it, produce it, call it what u will.

???? Not to be rude but what's your point I never said anything about ESPN and ABC being different man. I said there is a different between having a game on ESPN and FOX or in your example ABC. Some 30 million additional homes different. It's the same gripe we have about having ALL the SC games on NBC instead of splitting them between NBCSN.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

Uh huh see ya. You are looking to debate something I never said or something you thought I did.
You are trying to school me to the fact that ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney so they are the same company Everyone knows that man, I never challenged that, That should be common knowledge. I was saying there is a difference between ESPN and FOX I never spoke a word about ABC til you brought it up. ESPN is in about 85 mil homes and FOX is in 115 mil is what I said.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Uh huh see ya. You are looking to debate something I never said or something you thought I did.
You are trying to school me to the fact that ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney so they are the same company Everyone knows that man, I never challenged that, That should be common knowledge. I was saying there is a difference between ESPN and FOX I never spoke a word about ABC til you brought it up. ESPN is in about 85 mil homes and FOX is in 115 mil is what I said.
bye, what are FS1, FS2, CBS Sports Network, and NBCSN, sir......something you clearly cannot comprehend or choose to outright ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad