NHL 2017/2018 TV ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
Where did you get the 6.6M from does that include streaming as well? NBC press releases at time feel like a Math word problem trying to get the actual answer. I hadn't seen that number is why I asked I saw a higher TDA audience of 6.7 mil but Showbuzz had the number NBC TV number at just over 6.018 mil for the timeslot.
View attachment 124297

"Last night’s series-clinching Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final averaged a Total Audience Delivery (TAD) of 6.714 million viewers on NBC..."

"The Average Minute Audience (AMA) of 124,000 viewers is best ever for an NHL game on NBC."

I think that your number does include pregame show...

CAPITALS CUP-CLINCHING VICTORY LAST NIGHT ON NBC IS MOST-WATCHED STANLEY CUP FINAL GAME 5 IN 16 YEARS

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
NHL just cannot catch any break at all. Why couldn't this series go 7? or even 6? People were more curious to watch Vegas than Wash. So if they got 6.71M for a gm5, imagine what we would've got for gm6 Sun night primetime. Easily 8M.. and had there been a gm7 back in Vegas for all the marbles, 100% we'd have gotten very very close to 10M.

Don't forget, NBA would be over by then, and ppl would want their playoff fix. and it's so so rare to have NBA finishes before NHL.. My god, why did a gm7 not happen?? And we all know how many ppl tune into gm 7's... It would've been a dream yr for NHL. It would've easily broke the CHI/BOS rating of a few yrs ago.. It was looking great when vegas took a 3-2 lead in the 3rd. The NHL lost a glorious chance to be center stage in the US for once...oh well.

Reactions: razor ray
May 15, 2015
Where did you get the 6.6M from does that include streaming as well? NBC press releases at time feel like a Math word problem trying to get the actual answer. I hadn't seen that number is why I asked I saw a higher TDA audience of 6.7 mil but Showbuzz had the number NBC TV number at just over 6.018 mil for the timeslot.
View attachment 124297
The one you posted are the preliminary hourly primetime numbers that came out around 11AM PT, for live sports & specials the west coast viewing is not timezone-adjusted (ie for a 8PM ET/5PM PT game, it includes 8PM PT viewership instead of 5PM PT) as well as the numbers past 11PM ET, the final timezone & game length adjusted numbers usually came out after 1PM PT.

On NBC broadcast only, Game 5 averaged 6.588 million, 2.2 rating of 18-49, 1.7 rating of 18-34
Final-Bcast-2018-Jun-07.THU_.png

Last edited:

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
The Capitals-Golden Knights Stanley Cup Final averaged a 2.7 rating and 4.80 million viewers on NBC and NBCSN, flat in ratings and up 3% in viewership from Penguins-Predators last year (4.68M) and up 17% and 22% respectively from Penguins-Sharks in 2016 (2.3, 3.95M). Both of those series lasted six games.

With or without streaming included, this year’s Cup Final was the most-watched in three years (2015 Blackhawks-Lightning: 5.55M). It surpassed last year as the most-watched series on record that did not involve an “Original Six” team (Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Montreal, Toronto and the Rangers).

2018 Stanley Cup Final Most-Watched in 3 Years - Sports Media Watch

Solid finish for NHL and NBC. Good night, 2017/18 season.

Reactions: eddygee

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Not sure where you got your info from. Major League Soccer Final averages 1.5-2 mil in the US. NHL Stanley Cup Finals have solidly average around 4 -4.5 mil consistently for the last decade. Putting things in context a relatively new league 20 yrs old vs 100 yr old league. I'll never understand why some people feel the need to try and belittle MLS at the expense of making NHL look good especially when alot of the trends and growth of the leagues don't favor us over the past decade. Can't people just enjoy both leagues.
The MLS Cup has been between a .4 and .7 rating for a one game final every year since 2012 whereas the NHL has been between 2.4 and 3.3 for their finals series. Keep thinking that NHL tv contract wont grow.

Also to answer someone's previous question, game 5 had 6.7 million american viewers

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
The MLS Cup has been between a .4 and .7 rating for a one game final every year since 2012 whereas the NHL has been between 2.4 and 3.3 for their finals series. Keep thinking that NHL tv contract wont grow.

Also to answer someone's previous question, game 5 had 6.7 million american viewers

I don't understand your point? Everything from my previous point was true you just put ratings where I included the actual number sizes. Lets stop trying to do the my league is better thing. You can like both and be non bias about expectations of both when it comes to near term future growth.

Also I never said the TV contract wouldn't grow, I realistically see NBC putting a negotiating offer for about $450-500mil per yr. I and many others have stated why the TV contract won't grow as much as some people think so there won't be this big let down and to set expectations around here. People are talking and thinking 1 billion per year and stuff thats crazy IMHO. Set reasonable expectations and if they get exceeded great but again not likely. See below we've been having a good in depth discussion about this in another thread. Fenway has added some great insightful nuggets about the NBC NHL relationship as he's a NBC contractor.

Bettman showed up twice on HNIC before and during Game 2 and also did a segment on French TVA but on NBC he has not been seen during either Games 1 or 2.
...There is a strong belief that Bettman has already decided who gets the US rights after 2021 and it will be a partnership between FOX and ESPN similar to what they had in 1995-1999. But right now the NHL/NBC relationship is like a husband and wife having separate bedrooms.

CBC was allowed to use the Cup as a prop in Washington
NBC asked for the same and request was denied
Ed Snider not being around might be part of it :dunno:
One thing is clear, the NHL is unhappy about something with NBC but nobody knows exactly what.

NBC couldn't have been happy that the NHL skipped the winter games. I'm sure that didn't help the relationship.

Well NBC is paying the NHL $200 million a year not $2 billion a year. If it was closer to the former then the NHL probably would have been giving that a bit more weight in the decision.

The joke is on the league. They won't get even close to 2 billions a year, not even from ESPN/FOX.

The NHL knows that it won't get $2 Billion a year, they are not that stupid.
Any guesses to what the next US tv contract for the NHL will look like?

Aprox. $500 million USD

I was thinking a billion from just the US deal.

1.5 Billion combined isn't going to happen. $500 million for US rights is realistic considering ratings, compared to MLB/NBA/MLS. $650 million is attainable if they create a bidding war with FOX/NBC/ESPN

the nba gets 2.5, you think hockey is 40% as popular as basketball in the US ?
not a chance.
Can't and won't happen. No one from Rogers will say it publicly, but it was a mistake doing 12 years at $500+M per year. They aren't making money on this deal.

I doubt the NHL gets much of an increase in their TV deal.
The idea behind the big TV sports contracts was that they would keep the cable networks from bleeding subscribers due to cord cutting.
But subscribers are leaving anyhow, and major sports leagues are now facing the prospect of no access to people under 40 while sports networks are losing money on their TV deals.
Meanwhile TV streaming services are rapidly expanding. If the NHL wants to avoid losing a generation of viewers it needs to create a digital service with no blackouts.

Right. This right here. People have been cable cutting for years & its if anything amping up, an epidemic the results from which these major broadcasters are having a Hell of time trying to stem & losing. Losing badly. Left high & dry having grossly over-paid for broadcast rights. Losing subscribers by the yard daily, by the minute, cant be paying the kinds of fee's they have been as advertising revenues & sponsorships also dries up.

Theres almost nothing "compelling" about an 82 Game Regular Season Schedule & as you state the scheduling itself inconvenient for a considerable swath of their potential audiencve... and not just to watch it on TV but to attend. Too much inventory. Flooded the market. Viewing habits markedly changed. Millennial's & even the older generations, certainly those who embrace new technologies & forms of entertainment & informational delivery ignoring the League in droves. Only tuning in when something is compelling, of interest, then tuning out. Gone. No retention beyond an ever dwindling hard-core thats aging. Dying off.

All kinds of very obvious common sensical issues the NHL needs to address. I think their whistling up a dark alley if they think their looking at any major increases in the US broadcast contract & may in fact well find themselves taking a hit in Canada as well. Rogers out of their minds to have paid what they did & they know it. Entire NHL model needs to change. Theyve been chasing this Ghost Ship laden with broadcast riches without them repeatedly since 67/68 & that ship sailed, is now just about sunk.

Indeed so. Do you recall when they started rolling it out early for the cameras' & crowds & who was responsible for that? Requested by the Producers at network level, something maybe former Marketing guy Collins came up with taking after the NFL or?.... Also.....

What do you think is behind a possible rift between the NHL & NBC? If a rift does exist why would Bettman exacerbate matters further & shoot himself & the League in the foot in denying NBC access to the SC during their showcase event, the Finals? If a rift does exist youd just grin & bear it as is the norm in show biz & make the best of it, no holds barred, you keep things like that, dysfunction or disagreement off the stage. Give it your all, act like no problem, deal with it behind closed doors after everythings done.

Man that is totally Bush as you well know being in the industry. Petty. Absolute stupidity given that this is the Marquee event of the season. Why would you be pulling back on the bells & whistles?. Bury the hatchet temporarily & put your best foot forward..... But then, this is a GD Labor Lawyer who once again is out of his depth. Using whatever he can to gain leverage, ticked off about something, holding back, thinking he's somehow punishing a partner or service provider, sponsor or whomever, that they dont deserve any respect until they comply with his demands, what he thinks is right & just, whatever outrageous price he thinks he can get away with over-charging or demanding others lower. Arrogance. Entitlement.

What d'ya think the NHL's going to wind up with come 2020/21 Fenway? New contract. I could go on & on about the ratings, totally unimpressive but for the obvious, way too much inventory, ratings beyond anemic in any number of markets. This stunt & God only knows what else. I'm seeing problems here. The outdoor games tied into the buys with NBC & with League wide sponsorships & those events, that cash cow pretty much milked dry. The WC of Hockey thus far faceplanting. Theyve got to reinvent themselves again & I'm not seeing any real creativity. Collins is gone. He authored much of the Central & Broadcast Revenue increases of the past decade. Playing Bon Cop to Bettmans Bad Cop in working out sponsorships, broadcast deals & so on. Now youve just got a Bad Cop running amok on NBC & others I'm sure. Nuts. Look. Bettmans very effective in all kinds of ways but they have to keep him the Hell away from marketing, dealing with sponsors & broadcasters. Its not like they cant afford to hire some real pro's. Let them do their jobs properly.

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Some more good info for historical tracking purposes.

2018 Stanley Cup Final Most-Watched in 3 Years - Sports Media Watch

Washington’s five-game win averaged 117,000 viewers on NBC Sports’ digital platforms (+41%). Combined across TV and streaming, the series averaged 4.92 million viewers (+3%).
With or without streaming included, this year’s Cup Final was the most-watched in three years (2015 Blackhawks-Lightning: 5.55M). It surpassed last year as the most-watched series on record that did not involve an “Original Six” team (Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Montreal, Toronto and the Rangers).
Overall, it ranks seventh out of the last 17 Cup Finals (average viewership prior to 2001 was not available).
Compared to the last Cup Final to last just five games, Kings-Rangers in 2014, ratings fell 10% (from 3.0) and viewership 4% (from 5.0M). That series featured the nation’s top two television markets.

Las Vegas led all markets for the full series with a 23.0 average rating. Washington D.C. ranked second with an 18.5. Capitals secondary market Baltimore was third at a 9.9.
Buffalo was the top neutral market with an 8.7 average, off 2% from last year (8.9). Pittsburgh rounded out the top five with an 8.1.
The complete Stanley Cup Playoffs averaged a 0.8 rating on television and 1.45 million viewers across TV and streaming, the latter up 4% from last year (1.39M). This year’s postseason trails only 2013 (1.47M) as the most-watched since 1997, tying 2014 and 2015.
Las Vegas and Pittsburgh led all markets for NBC’s postseason coverage, averaging a 4.5. Keep in mind those averages exclude lower rated first round games on NBCSN, which were blacked out in both markets.

Cool chart, as a Caps fan I could care less that it didn't go longer as my boys won, but I can understand where those are coming from that wanted a longer series.

Most Watched SC Finals.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: