NHL 19 Information/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I started a Franchise Mode as the Leafs. trying to resign Matthews he accepted but I have no Cap apparently for next season. trying to trade Horton to a rebuilding team Ottawa. I offered Horton, 2019 MTL 1st + 2020 TOR 1st + 2019 TOR 2nd + some prospect that was highlighted Green (which means they are interested in) for a 2019 7th. and cant get the trade done. this is even set on Easy. for a rebuilding team u would think they would be interested in that. lol

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Oh boy I'd like to give UX lessons to the idiot who added that stupid and slow animation to player training in BAP. As if the training wasn't tedious enough to begin with.

Other notes on gameplay: I like the new skating. That's about it. AI seems identical to 18.
Menus are different but definitely not better than they used to be. It's funny, I still think old-gen game had the best menus and none of the current-gen versions have been able to match them.
Rosters are still abysmal in terms of prospects.

I'm doing a BAP career so I don't know how other young prospects develop so I'd be interested to hear from any GMer if the player progression has gotten any better?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
game is not a significant upgrade, not worth the 90 dollars canadian

Wait until black friday/boxing day
Not a surprise. They haven't gotten this game right since.. NHL 14 IMO. If there aren't significant upgrades to a Be a GM I'm sitting this year out. oh but.. is the gameplay FUN?

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
gameplay, different game types, unlocking gear for leveling up, playing w friends on a team together etc
the ability to unlock things in sports games I miss. Remember when you used to have to unlock 3rd jerseys and retro ones. Made you strive for something. I forget what year it was but you could also unlock things for the GM's office and earn more phones for trades. I like that kind of crap

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I started a Franchise Mode as the Leafs. trying to resign Matthews he accepted but I have no Cap apparently for next season. trying to trade Horton to a rebuilding team Ottawa. I offered Horton, 2019 MTL 1st + 2020 TOR 1st + 2019 TOR 2nd + some prospect that was highlighted Green (which means they are interested in) for a 2019 7th. and cant get the trade done. this is even set on Easy. for a rebuilding team u would think they would be interested in that. lol

There are contracts in the game that are marked as untradeable, no matter what you add to it.

Reactions: Oley49

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
fact or theory?

Only explanation from the testing that I've done. You can have a horrid contact, add a McDavid/Crosby/elite player to it, and even if the cap works, they'll still reject. Can't remember what trade settings I used, probably hard.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Versus and EASHL plays like shit imo but I already knew this from beta/ea access. Every poke is a penalty. Most passes and shots are blocked. You can't set it up or play real hockey because you can make 5 great passes and then a perfect pass will just bounce off his stick for whatever reason or it gets blocked. I guess they tried to make it more realistic and a real sim? But you make a perfect backdoor pass and play and the goalie turns into a god. Yeah, bail the other team out for playing horrible defense but glitch shots still go in at the highest rate! Most goals that I've seen are glitch shots or crusty goals bouncing off players or goalies and going in. For some reason in 3s EASHL our comp d man like to play like Kris Letang and more offense than defense. Then we play a team with human c and d, and comp wing. The human d will play zero d and the comp wing bails him out and plays perfect defense/covering for him all game. Makes sense, this game is so ass backwards.

I think they tried to make it more realistic but in their attempt if you like to cycle the puck, actually pass, and work the puck around your at a huge disadvantage. People that just skate in and throw slapshots and wristers on net are more likely to score and win. DDA/ice tilt is extremely obvious.

3s with the funky scoring is mindless fun and probably the only mode I will play. I tried telling my gameshare partner not to get this crap but he wanted it for some reason.

Reactions: mantha39
Mar 12, 2009
Yikes, looks like this game has a lot of glitches and isn't a big improvement over 18.
It's also never good when there are no reviews posted within 48 hours of the game's official release. Usually means the developer isn't confident that it will receive positive scores.

Might pass on this franchise yet again.
It released today officially...6 reviews on metacritic, several others that MC hasn't collected yet. Reviews haven't been released until day of for these games for a while now.

The game always falls somewhere in the middle between the positive review scores and the moaning and complaining here. Some are saying the gameplay hasn't changed, others say it has. Some of the complaints seem pretty minor as well. It's early and a lot of the gameplay complaints seem to stem from poke check spammers who haven't figured out quite how to play without doing that.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It released today officially...6 reviews on metacritic, several others that MC hasn't collected yet. Reviews haven't been released until day of for these games for a while now.

The game always falls somewhere in the middle between the positive review scores and the moaning and complaining here. Some are saying the gameplay hasn't changed, others say it has. Some of the complaints seem pretty minor as well. It's early and a lot of the gameplay complaints seem to stem from poke check spammers who haven't figured out quite how to play without doing that.

Yeah we'll see. It's difficult to gauge on the early reviews, as it is not uncommon for big companies like EA to bribe gaming review sites to give them a higher score. The gaming media industry is kind of a joke at this point.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
In my brief playing of it so far, having just started a be a pro, and almost one season through franchise...

Franchise:

Fog of war is an excellent concept but it needs to be worked on. I tried trading a 79 overall guy on a 950k contract for a 7th round pick and the GM of the other team stated my scouts were pumping up his value and he wasn't worth the price. I like the idea of this, but sometimes it leads to silly things like that.

It also makes free agency an interesting thing. Cant risk yourself spending a ton on a player you think is good, to flip later. They could have significantly lower stats than your scouts knew at the time.

Although I am once again stuck with a Vancouver team that makes the playoffs despite icing lots of players in the late 70's overall and mediocre goaltending. Still need better results for overall differentials.

Be a pro:

Haven't played much yet. I love the introduction of a skill tree, but I'm a little disappointed with it. The unique skills are exactly what I was hoping for in total, but it's just "here is a skill point, use it to up some stats". Hope the unique skills get touched upon and are made into more of a thing in the future. Higher accuracy when in close, or harder shots when you're farther away and so on are fantastic mechanics.

Tried doing my usual trick of being drafted late by simming through the memorial cup, but still got picked 1st overall despite not playing a game and only having 3 points in 4 games. Was disappointed at that.

Seeing the AI make a cap dump trade was very interesting to me (NYR traded Staal and a 4th to WSH for a 7th). I'm hoping AI trades are more creative like this in the long run.

Gameplay wise, the skating does feel fantastic. Pivots specifically, trying to keep the puck away. One complaint I have is the AI tends to catch up to you no problem at all when it feels like you should have a step on them to break away, and they have a flawless pokecheck when behind you in this scenario.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I played 3 games in online versus this morning.

Had 10 + mins TOA, each of them while keeping my opposition below 5 mins toa. Doubled my opposition in shots in 2 of the 3 games. And they were cross ice one times, net front shots and open shots from the circles. Tons of 2 on 1s as well. Basically they were plays that you score with in the NHL.

Anyway I lost all three games. Let in soft ass goals like a shot of the draw or a rebound off a shot of the rush. Pucks going in off my own player. Just random goals.

I'm not saying that these random goals shouldn't happe.. But it seems to me like you're punished for setting up plays in favour of of just shooting it from where ever and hoping you get lucky.

Anyone else experience this?

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Tried doing my usual trick of being drafted late by simming through the memorial cup, but still got picked 1st overall despite not playing a game and only having 3 points in 4 games. Was disappointed at that.

I was trying this too because I did not want to be picked by Buffalo, Montreal, or Carolina and it ranks you top 3 pretty much as soon as you score 2 points. I eventually ended up just picking a team.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Something that really bothers me, is that Petrus Palmu of the Vancouver Canucks gets listed year after year as a Right Handed shot when In reality he shoots left.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
This game feels completely unfinished.

World of chel - stats don't add up, have to start a new lobby all the time, people get booted constantly, background music in drop-in can't be muted, etc.

This is a final product? Yikes.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
UI is terrible. Pokechecks are an automatic penalty, impossible to play good defense without just hitting everything NHL 07 style.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad