NHL 19 Information/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
This was my issue with the game the past few years most notably in Versus. However, I actually enjoyed the beta and found myself being able to generate offense as the skating and passing was way better than years past.

Have they changed anything from the beta?

Well if you enjoyed the beta then you will like it. It's the same besides the tripping penalties are like how it was when the beta first came out. Not sure how you like the passing, it's brutal.

Just played a game and the only goals were bumping into my goalie and rolling under him and wristers.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Nope, cant edit them, cant practice with them nothing. You can only play now the alumni teams and im pissed about it

i played around with menu alot yesterday and as an OFFLINE player, i can say it's not that bad. U can edit jersey #s, which is great cuz they all had their wrong jersey #. U can't play Season or Franchise Mode, but u can play in Playoff Mode with them. Also, u can create players like Gordie, Orr, Rocket, Bourque, etc and then assign them to Alumni teams.

But all i need now is for us to be able to move them to other teams. I can't move NHL players to them. I want to move Sid, Connor etc to these teams and make an all Legend team, but we can't. i wish EA would allow us to move the players around. I hate that i can't ever put Sid with Mario or Connor with Wayne on the same line, etc.

I wonder if EA will let us eventually do this. It'll change everything. Oh, and how come i only see about 70 legends OFFLINE? didn't they say 200+. i saw Rocket and Denis Savard in a video, but they are nowhere to be seen. will they ever be avail OFFLINE?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So their solution to poke check spamming is to increase the penalties called by an extreme amount, meanwhile you can get away with stick lift spamming which is the same damn thing. lol.

Yeah the player reports on here are pretty damning, I think I'll be sticking to '18.

Which is funny because a couple years ago stick lift was broken completely upon release.

The same year (after it was fixed) or a different year (I can't remember, they start to blend together at this point), stick lift was like poke check now, try it and it's a guaranteed penalty.

What's awful is even after a week of beta testing, the poke-check works like this. Just terrible.

Oh and another comment, how in the blue blazes haven't they addressed still being forced to us 1 F and 2 D in the 3 on 3 OT? NHL teams never do this, it's always 2 F and 1 D.

For a development team that uses the same game engine year after year, and just put shiny new paint on an old game, how they keep messing up year after year is really unbelievable.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Having issues finding anyone to play with in eashl drop in. 3s 6s, does not matter. It just searches forever and never finds a game.
I've been having the same issue, sometimes i do find a game eventually but it often takes several minutes and tries.

This cannot be due to low population as the game claims since it has happened in prime gaming time. .. Then at random the population jumps to high and i get to a game in no time, after that game is over again population low... Like how? This must be a server issue within EA's end.

The gameplay itself has been decent so far but issues like that with every NHL game so far are just embarrassing.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I've been having the same issue, sometimes i do find a game eventually but it often takes several minutes and tries.

This cannot be due to low population as the game claims since it has happened in prime gaming time. .. Then at random the population jumps to high and i get to a game in no time, after that game is over again population low... Like how? This must be a server issue within EA's end.

The gameplay itself has been decent so far but issues like that with every NHL game so far are just embarrassing.

I've been with four separate consultants and none of them acknowledged the issue.. and I had to actually use this thread as proof that it's happening.

We should all be rewarded with World of Chel bags, at minimum, for this happening.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Which is funny because a couple years ago stick lift was broken completely upon release.

The same year (after it was fixed) or a different year (I can't remember, they start to blend together at this point), stick lift was like poke check now, try it and it's a guaranteed penalty.

What's awful is even after a week of beta testing, the poke-check works like this. Just terrible.

Oh and another comment, how in the blue blazes haven't they addressed still being forced to us 1 F and 2 D in the 3 on 3 OT? NHL teams never do this, it's always 2 F and 1 D.

For a development team that uses the same game engine year after year, and just put shiny new paint on an old game, how they keep messing up year after year is really unbelievable.
It's pretty crazy. I've been playing these games since 93 and something in this gen is off. I think the last game I really enjoyed was 14. I don't know what it is they're just not as fun as they used to be.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's pretty crazy. I've been playing these games since 93 and something in this gen is off. I think the last game I really enjoyed was 14. I don't know what it is they're just not as fun as they used to be.

Last one I really enjoyed was 11.

12 was a small step back.

But it really started going downhill in 13 with the changes to the skating mechanics and the AI.

14 was better than 13, they did improve the skating IMO but it was still bad.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
How is the AI in the game? Are goalies still sieves?
I excusively play offline so I just wanna know if the offline experience is fun or it's an infuriating, controller throwing mess which IMO the game has been since 2009.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Last one I really enjoyed was 11.

12 was a small step back.

But it really started going downhill in 13 with the changes to the skating mechanics and the AI.

14 was better than 13, they did improve the skating IMO but it was still bad.
11 was good. I didn't play 12. 13.. the scoring wasn't right . I had fun with 14 cause the CPU was balanced to my own skill level.

I rarely play online.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Played for a couple hours today

- the poke check problem isn't nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. its kind of refreshing in fact. just don't spam the button
- the menus are atrocious to navigate
- 6v6 in EASHL is 10x more fun than last year but still an absolute shit show
- hitting is so much better than last year
- it feels like skill points matter more now. my power forward couldn't make ridiculous behind the back passes that only playmakers should be able to
- the puck is much more "free". it will loosen up from a player (but he could recover) if you even get near them. I definitely prefer this to having to spam poke check all the time
- the skaters can make much quicker turns and be more elusive, which at first I thought would make defending them a nightmare, but the new defense mechanics actually make it a pretty enjoyable challenge
- the "voicelines" after scoring and hitting isn't a bad idea, but it sounds absolutely ridiculous
- "hockey bag" idea is a fun reward

Haven't played against any AI yet, thats what I'm nervous about

I'm really hoping they add some seasonal or event stuff like other games do for the "world of chel". It would be fun to unlock Haloween, Christmas, etc. themed stuff. Give me a reason to keep playing

I always get these games but hate EA, but I will say this one made some actual good improvements to game play in my experience so far

That said, NHL is still years behind the other sports franchises

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
the people who use the cpu to defend are so annoying. makes the games feel so canned and robotic

Yup.

I get having CPU be competent offline. Online, CPU should be awful. Motivates you to get real teammates and or be better with a bad CPU. That's the way it used to be through 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad