NHL 19 Information/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
So 6v6 is freezing a lot for you as well? Have you got any games in? I haven’t even got one 6v6 in due to freezing.

Yeah, I got games in yesterday and every 6v6 in drop in has freezed today. Played two with no defense or goalies that worked but the games sucked.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I gotta give props to EA for making the hockey bag loot crate things reward only based on your play. No purchasing them. That’s how it should be in HUT as well

You just can't stick check.

You can, but you can’t spam it.

Only poke check when you are in a good position too.

Reactions: mantha39 and Deku

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I didn't play the 3s mode on NHL18 but I'm dominating in the beta right now with an Enforcer Defenseman and boosts to hitting, balance, and stick checking. This mode's a lot of fun actually

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So I've been playing a bit of the ones, it's definitely more fun than I was expecting. But this dude just made a giant guy and it was so unfair because he would just go through anyone and he was so long he could just easily dangle the goalie and then the game after the goalie glitched so he was pretty much standing up skating around so you just had to skate by him and shoot and you would score

I definitely like EASHL drop ins now, they feel more like a drop in, less like a major game. Everyone wearing mismatching shit with the light and dark jerseys like in real drop ins.

However I saw a guy get rocked and it still made the helmet hitting the ice and coming off sound even though he was wearing a beanie..

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
- Skating is sooooooo much better, it was my number one problem with the gameplay the last few years. It's not perfect but it's so much more nuanced and responsive now. Much better animations too especially for hustling and strafing while back skating

- Hot take incoming but poke checking is better this way. it's definitely an adjustment for me to not do pokes at stupid times, but it hasn't made defending really any harder since I didn't spam it before anyway. I'd rather people have to play well positionally and use the skill stick as opposed to just chasing the puck carrier at all times while jutting their stick forward constantly.

- Ones is pretty fun, might actually play it in the full release unlike last year's 3s gimmick. It reminds me of the NBA/NFL/FIFA Street games

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
After a bit more time playing...

Holy crap, Ones is fun and addicting. Went into World of Chel just thinking I'd mess around for a half hour or so last night and ended up going 3-4 hours (with some Three's and 3v3 EASHL worked in). All I want more than anything is to unlock some Sabres clothing/gear and represent. :laugh: Will definitely be participating in the full release, at least until I unlock enough to get my player decked out in Sabres stuff to my satisfaction.

Love the skating, very responsive. The game in general looks and feels great (for an NHL game, graphics aren't exactly mindblowing otherwise).

Beta is really glitchy. I have a feeling that the beta is probably an older build and a lot of these kinks are already ironed out... since we're only like a month and a half from release now and there's no way it releases with so many basic connectivity/loading issues. (Remember, go here to report your beta feedback: NHL 19 Beta | Forum | EA Answers HQ | EN)

Poke checking penalties are starting to bug me. It's definitely hindering for more than just spamming. I felt bad with all the penalties I was getting playing defense in EASHL drop ins so I kept my finger off the button altogether. The one or two times I did poke check just out of habit/necessity, even when it seemed good positionally and the stick might've lightly grazed someones skate, I still got tripping penalties. Actually kinda forced me to play a little better and play the body more (yay improved hitting)... so I get it... but they probably could dial it back a little.

If the beta is anything to go by, this may very well be my favorite NHL release of the PS4/Xbox One generation. Hell, maybe my favorite of the last few generations. Probably end up pre-ordering it now instead of waiting for a deal and saving a few bucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Graves

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I like the poke check. It's still totally usable and you have to be smart about it. First game i took like 6 penalties getting used to it and now i barely get any, most of the ones i do are because i was trying to do it from behind/somewhere srupid.

The only thing i dislike about it is there's been a couple cases where i've clean poked the puck off of the other guy's stick and then he kinda trips over nothing. Like seen here:

I look forward to EA totally breaking it at launch.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
I honestly don't know what to make of this game. I've spent more time trying to get into games than actually playing them.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
The only thing i dislike about it is there's been a couple cases where i've clean poked the puck off of the other guy's stick and then he kinda trips over nothing. Like seen here:

I look forward to EA totally breaking it at launch.

I don't think that should've registered as a trip, however, with that being a loose puck deke he shouldn't have poked as he could've just picked up the puck.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Also some probably overlooked news with the Beta released, but there was an article released about franchise mode and the scouting system that is rebranded as fog of war. From what I can gather it seems like you can only see ratings of players on your own team and you need to hire pro scouts to scout other teams to reveal attributes about each specific player you target. The Link to the article is below.
NHL 19’s Franchise Mode Could Be Its Own Hockey Sim

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I gotta give props to EA for making the hockey bag loot crate things reward only based on your play. No purchasing them. That’s how it should be in HUT as well

You can, but you can’t spam it.

Only poke check when you are in a good position too.

I love that it punishes those who skate into you and swing their stick. That's a reckless and stupid hockey play. I got burned 3 times from behind because I poked out of reflex and was rightfully punished. Love the change. Your body really is your best defensive weapon. The little puck strip animations when you're beside a player are great too.

Reactions: mantha39

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
figured it out. If you keep getting an error that says "cannot purchase at this time" despite it being the beta, go to your "purchases" menu on the PSN and manually click download and it will work.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The beta has given me no reason whatsoever to even consider buying this game. The Ones were fun for a few games but man when is EA actually going to start caring about developing their NHL games and not just give a $60 roster update for the small fanbase this game has?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
3s mode with the weird scoring is actually fun with 6 humans. I'm not buying it just for that though.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
No it’s not, did you even play it?
God no. Why would I download the beta of a game I have no intention of buying that only has modes available im not interested in playing and never play? I'm an offline player and I've seen exactly nothing that excites me for what I'm interested in. But really, get all hyped up and crap about the beta...EA has such a great history on delivering when it comes to this franchise.

Reactions: Nickmo82

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
3s mode with the weird scoring is actually fun with 6 humans. I'm not buying it just for that though.
It's fun at first, but getting checked every ten seconds with or without the puck gets old quick.

I'm glad they gave us a beta at least, still gonna have to take advantage of the EA Access and play 10 hours of GM and that'll be my deciding factor.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
watching videos on youtube of gameplay. Considering getting a PS4 and getting the game, too, but was disappointed when news came out. The skating looks better (thought it looked weird in the first video I watched but it looked better when I watched bacon's video, probably just me being more open to it and paying more attention), and 3's looks really fun.

I'm not going to bank on getting a PS4 and getting the game. I want to see more info on GM Mode's new scouting system, but I'm warming up to the idea.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Skating feels way better compared to NHL 17/18, but yeah poke checking gets penalties way too often. It's ridiculous.

Sep 19, 2008
I played for about 40 minutes before getting bored. Not really something I'd want to invest 60 dollars in.

Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad