NHL 16 player overalls predictions thread

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Datsyuk isn't top 10 and Zetterberg plays more wing than center now.

Cut those two, put in Giroux and Backstrom, Toews comes down 2 points.

Datsyuk is 37 years old and is still a top 5 center in the league Cut the hate.

Zetterberg played way more center then wing LAST season so you my friend are just wrong.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
47. PHIL KESSEL (89) OVERALL – PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Still not used to that.

Also, Sid a 96. Damn.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
They made Backstrom a good skater, they also decided everyone's shot is just a touch bellow Stamkos and Ovechkin.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Best of the top 50 in each category:

Deking: Kane (96)
Hand-eye: Crosby, Ovechkin, Perry, Kane (95)
Passing: Crosby (95)
Puck control: Crosby (95)

Slap shot accuracy: Ovechkin (94)
Slap shot power: Weber (95)
Wrist shot accuracy: Ovechkin, Tarasenko (94)
Wrist shot power: Ovechkin (95)

Acceleration: Kane (95)
Agility: Kane (95)
Balance: Ovechkin (94)
Endurance: Doughty (92)
Speed: Hall (95)

Discipline: Datsyuk (95)
Offensive awareness: Crosby (95)
Poise: Toews, Kane (95)

Defensive awareness: Toews (94)
Faceoffs: Toews, Bergeron (95)
Shot blocking: Weber (93)
Stick checking: Crosby, Toews, Weber, Suter (93)

Aggressiveness: Perry, Subban (90)
Body checking: Weber (92)
Durability: Toews, Weber, Ovechkin, Keith, Perry, Hossa (90)
Fighting skill: Weber, Kesler (85)
Strength: Weber, Ovechkin, Hedman (93)

The two names that come up the most in this list are Weber and Ovechkin. These two and Crosby will be the OP players of the game.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Defensive awareness: Toews (94)
Faceoffs: Toews, Bergeron (95)
Stick checking: Crosby, Toews, Weber, Suter (93)

Ugh, give me a break. Faceoffs are pretty much the only thing you can't screw up because stats don't lie in that regard. What could possibly be the justification to put Toews up at #1?

Lol and then Giroux is at 85 and Pavelski is at 80. The attention to detail by EA is just horrific for things like this.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Ugh, give me a break. Faceoffs are pretty much the only thing you can't screw up because stats don't lie in that regard. What could possibly be the justification to put Toews up at #1?

Lol and then Giroux is at 85 and Pavelski is at 80. The attention to detail by EA is just horrific for things like this.

Besides the fact that Toews is elite in faceoffs literally every season? 56.5% last year, 57.3% in 13-14, 59.9% in 12-13, 59.4% in 11-12, 56.7% in 10-11, 57.4% in 09-10. It's very clearly you that needs to pay better attention to detail. :laugh:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Besides the fact that Toews is elite in faceoffs literally every season? 56.5% last year, 57.3% in 13-14, 59.9% in 12-13, 59.4% in 11-12, 56.7% in 10-11, 57.4% in 09-10. It's very clearly you that needs to pay better attention to detail. :laugh:

Did I say he wasn't good, even great at them? The "best" is what I have an issue with. There's just no way he should be considered at Bergeron's level for this, especially considering Bergeron is coming off a historic season for faceoffs (60.2% while taking the most faceoffs in the league is absurd). EA made a conscious decision to put Toews' defensive awareness, faceoffs, and stick checking as the best in the league.

When you look at players like Pavelski and Giroux, how could they be considered so far below Toews (or others that are undeservedly way higher) for faceoffs? Giroux in particular showed an incredible amount of improvement in this facet of his game this year, yet they churned out the exact same rating for him as they did last year (just looked it up). For Pavelski, I think EA just never realized that he is awesome at faceoffs, because I remember this issue with him before.

Is there one argument to support Tavares being better at faceoffs than Pavelski? It's just so unbelievably lazy. Such a simple thing to get right, and it's way out of whack. It's almost like they're drawing numbers out of a hat.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Toews is overrated. In other news, the sky is blue.
He's not the only one, Crosby is also overrated in the game. He has higher defensive awareness than Hossa :laugh:

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Did I say he wasn't good, even great at them? The "best" is what I have an issue with. There's just no way he should be considered at Bergeron's level for this, especially considering Bergeron is coming off a historic season for faceoffs (60.2% while taking the most faceoffs in the league is absurd). EA made a conscious decision to put Toews' defensive awareness, faceoffs, and stick checking as the best in the league.

When you look at players like Pavelski and Giroux, how could they be considered so far below Toews (or others that are undeservedly way higher) for faceoffs? Is there one argument to support Tavares being better at faceoffs than Pavelski? It's just so unbelievably lazy. Such a simple thing to get right, and it's way out of whack. It's almost like they're drawing numbers out of a hat.

Toews isnt "the best" at faceoffs in the game. He's tied with Bergeron. I have no problem with that. How exactly is Toews not on Bergeron's level? They are two of the best faceoff men in the buisness. Some years Toews has beaten Bergeron in faceoff % and more of the years Bergeron has gotten the better of Toews. Maybe Bergeron could have been a 96. If thats really what set you off about these ratings, you should go threw and look at some of the other ones (Crosby being one of the best defensive forwards in the game stands out)

I'm not saying some of the faceoff ratings arent moronic. I think once they get outside the top 10 they dont care too much and put in random inputs.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Toews is overrated. In other news, the sky is blue.
He's not the only one, Crosby is also overrated in the game. He has higher defensive awareness than Hossa :laugh:

Yep, Crosby - 93 defensive awareness vs. Kopitar - 90 defensive awareness? Crosby with the same defensive awareness as Bergeron? Just crazy, and you'd be hard pressed to find any intelligent hockey fan that didn't think the same thing. At least there's a level of subjectivity to that though. With faceoffs, there isn't. You can certainly break faceoffs down by more than just percentage (how many they took, who they took them against, how consistent they were, etc.), but everything still is just in the numbers. It's the main reason why it really stood out to me.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Toews isnt "the best" at faceoffs in the game. He's tied with Bergeron. I have no problem with that. How exactly is Toews not on Bergeron's level? They are two of the best faceoff men in the buisness. Some years Toews has beaten Bergeron in faceoff % and more of the years Bergeron has gotten the better of Toews. Maybe Bergeron could have been a 96. If thats really what set you off about these ratings, you should go threw and look at some of the other ones (Crosby being one of the best defensive forwards in the game stands out)

I'm not saying some of the faceoff ratings arent moronic. I think once they get outside the top 10 they dont care too much and put in random inputs.

This isn't just an anti-Toews rant. I think it's just a great example of what is wrong with EA's ratings. If they aren't just completely lazy and input the same attributes as last year (which is usually the case), they go in with these preconceived notions of what they want and skew the numbers to support that just so they get the overall they want. I'm assuming Crosby's defensive awareness was just to boost that overall total.

As for faceoffs, you'll notice that Bergeron has been a decent margin ahead of Toews for a while now. Toews more or less entered the league as a faceoff wunderkind; he's blessed with remarkable quickness and hand-eye coordination. With Bergeron, while he obviously isn't devoid of those qualities, it's been a career long progression where he's kept working at it and getting better, and he's the best he's ever been right now. The last years that Toews was ahead was 2011/12 and 2010/11, both by the smallest margin of 0.1%. Since then, Bergeron is at 60% (4567 total faceoffs), and Toews is at 57.6% (4152 total faceoffs). That's a sizable gap that should be recognized, and the gap was the widest last season at 3.7%. It just doesn't add up to being equal.

It shouldn't be, "Yeah, I think these guys are known for being good at faceoffs and are well-known Selke candidates so we should try to boost their overall defensive rating more. 95 seems right." Put some damn effort into it, especially if you're going to do a reveal like this.

I'll be interested in seeing Thornton's faceoff rating. Guarantee it's stuck at 85 despite the fact that he's become one of the most dominant faceoff guys in the league. Hell, it might be lower because the general perception of Thornton's game has gone down a bit since then.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
EA's NHL ratings are always dreadful. They're definitely not made by someone with hockey knowledge. I remember when a year or two back they had Datsyuk with a lower deking than Kane, Toews, Kessel, Backstrom, Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Giroux, Parise (and the same as Getzlaf, Perry, Zetterberg and many others). This is not a joke btw. And Ovechkin had 84 slap shot power.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
This isn't just an anti-Toews rant. I think it's just a great example of what is wrong with EA's ratings. If they aren't just completely lazy and input the same attributes as last year (which is usually the case), they go in with these preconceived notions of what they want and skew the numbers to support that just so they get the overall they want. I'm assuming Crosby's defensive awareness was just to boost that overall total.

As for faceoffs, you'll notice that Bergeron has been a decent margin ahead of Toews for a while now. Toews more or less entered the league as a faceoff wunderkind; he's blessed with remarkable quickness and hand-eye coordination. With Bergeron, while he obviously isn't devoid of those qualities, it's been a career long progression where he's kept working at it and getting better, and he's the best he's ever been right now. The last years that Toews was ahead was 2011/12 and 2010/11, both by the smallest margin of 0.1%. Since then, Bergeron is at 60% (4567 total faceoffs), and Toews is at 57.6% (4152 total faceoffs). That's a sizable gap that should be recognized, and the gap was the widest last season at 3.7%. It just doesn't add up to being equal.

It shouldn't be, "Yeah, I think these guys are known for being good at faceoffs and are well-known Selke candidates so we should try to boost their overall defensive rating more. 95 seems right." Put some damn effort into it, especially if you're going to do a reveal like this.

I'll be interested in seeing Thornton's faceoff rating. Guarantee it's stuck at 85 despite the fact that he's become one of the most dominant faceoff guys in the league. Hell, it might be lower because the general perception of Thornton's game has gone down a bit since then.

No, I get that it wasnt an anti-Toews rant even though I took your first post as just hating on Toews. Sometimes its hard to distinguish the people like 19Backstrom who just mindlessly hate on Toews. Like I said, Bergeron should probably be +1 on Toews if anything. I think faceoffs can fluxuate a lot for a variety of reasons. One being strength of competition in the faceoff circle. I'm not going to actually research it because this isn't something I care too greatly about but I'd think that Toews faces better faceoff men on a regular basis because theres alot better centers out west. Just looking at the top FO % from last year, a good chunk of those guys are out west. And I know alot of them get matched up against Toews regularly when the Hawks play them. Kesler, Thornton, Backes, Koivu, all above 55% and all guys that regularly get matched up against Toews.

I'd agree on Thornton, he should at least be a 90 in the faceoff circle.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
The problem is they use one scout of unknown experience to determine ratings across the board. This naturally results in that one individual not possibly being able to see everyone, making them unfit to assign ratings to players.

When I see Phil Kessel having more strength and bodychecking than Erik Karlsson for example, I wonder how often this scout has watched a lot of these players.

If they were smart, they'd hire 3-4 people, assign them specific leagues/teams, and split up the pay for less work.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Markov was an 87. Has a 50 point season goes 2 overalls lower... And DSP with 4.5 skating LOL.

Last edited:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I love how Mozik, who came from Europe and didn't play a single NHL game is automatically worse by like 20 points than garbage players like Glass, Rinaldo, Scott... I can assure he is much better than those goons.

Jaskin is better than Pastrnak? What are they smoking.
Sekac is two points worse than DSP. I remember when the trade happened, and a lot of people said Sekac has more potential while DSP is better right now. Except in this game they have same potential and DSP is straight better.

In the end, there are a lot of weird overalls. (Staal bros are better than Sedins etc.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad