** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I like the new enforcor engine a lot.

I boarded the **** out of someone with Kane. I got the game misconduct and Chara beat the **** out of me even though I out landed him a ton. Then they scored twice on the PP and won. As they should have. I think it was cool. Its really only the cheap hits that start fights from what i have seen. I know when its going to happen when i am doing the hit atleast. Shooting on the net after the play started a fight whihc i was bummed but it makes sense. I wish roughing up the goalie in nhl12 was still available and could start a fight.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Does anyone else's AI not go for the cross creases? Every single time I set one up they go the opposite way.

It's really starting to get on my nerves and I don't know if it's my fault or not.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I like how fights start when you shoot the puck in the net after the whistle. Just did that with Versteeg, and I got my ass kicked, as I should have :laugh:

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
This is what concerns me as well. I usually get ~15 hits a game. If I'm stuck in the penalty box half the game because of forced fights, I'm going to stop playing it pretty damn quick (and its my favorite mode)

When making a big hit against playing other people you don't get forced into a fight but they will have the option come up to fight you. We'll see how this plays out when the game actually comes out though because I think it's tuned up a little bit just to show off the feature a little more.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
When making a big hit against playing other people you don't get forced into a fight but they will have the option come up to fight you. We'll see how this plays out when the game actually comes out though because I think it's tuned up a little bit just to show off the feature a little more.

Thats the problem. There always seems to be SOMEONE that would gladly miss the whole game doing nothing but fighting

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I like the new enforcor engine a lot.

I boarded the **** out of someone with Kane. I got the game misconduct and Chara beat the **** out of me even though I out landed him a ton. Then they scored twice on the PP and won. As they should have. I think it was cool. Its really only the cheap hits that start fights from what i have seen. I know when its going to happen when i am doing the hit atleast. Shooting on the net after the play started a fight whihc i was bummed but it makes sense. I wish roughing up the goalie in nhl12 was still available and could start a fight.

I didn't mean to do this but I ran a goalie all the way to the corner once and it didn't start a fight. There wasn't even a penalty called...lol. The goalie just gathered himself and raced back to the net without issue. It looked nasty though.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I didn't mean to do this but I ran a goalie all the way to the corner once and it didn't start a fight. There wasn't even a penalty called...lol. The goalie just gathered himself and raced back to the net without issue. It looked nasty though.

Meanwhile, in my game, the goalie came out to like the bottom of the facoff circles to make a stop, with the puck trickling behind him. He tried to fall down on it, but I poked it through... and the goal was disallowed because my player's momentum caused him to bump the already-prone goalie (laying on his back), giving me a goaltender interference penalty.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I still have not played the demo, as I'm waiting until silver can get it. But a serious question, how many of these "issues" are likely to be fixed with tuner updates or manual slider changes?

I'd hope there was a "Fight Initiation by CPU" slider that can be adjusted, and more importantly, that there is a chance that they don't become forced without instigator.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Finally got to play the demo.

Maybe it's because I had lowered my expectations after reading the comments in this thread, but I thought the demo wasn't half bad. Everything on the ice looks sharper to me and the skating felt a lot better. Passing seems a little different, though it probably won't take long to adjust. Hits felt better and I only got into 2 fights in 3 games. Menus are also loading faster which is a huge plus to me.

Also tried the 94 mode, and I also don't think it's nearly as bad as some are saying. It would be miles better if it was actually the original game, but it is what it is. Not something I'll be playing a whole lot but I can see it appealing to some who are looking for more of an arcade game.

The game's not perfect, but it's also not the spawn of Satan I was expecting.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised.

The good:
Net battles are redone and much more fluent
Skating is great
Physics are much better. No longer getting hammered with a push in the back
Passing is much better
After the whistle scrums are fun and entertaining
Fights usually happen after doing something cheap, like shooting after the whistle, or a dirty hit or a late hit. Or a MASSIVE hit where they lose their stick or helmet

The bad:
Fights happen slightly too much
Shots are too powerful
Board play is still iffy. Suction cupped to the boards like last year.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
This game gets better the more you play it. I don't think the upgrades are worth $60, but I'm going to buy it anyways.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
In the HUT Tournament, I just lost to Team Canada, 3-2.

Team Canada had 3 shots on goal, all low wristers from far out.

Well played EA :clap:

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Games meh definitely not dropping money on this

Lucic can't receive a pass for some reason

I went to OT already down a guy so it's 4 on 3, got another penalty then it was 5 on 3 without their goalie pulled

Last edited:

Wild33

Mar 27, 2009
Games meh definitely not dropping money on this

Lucic can't receive a pass for some reason

I went to OT already down a guy so it's 4 on 3, got another penalty then it was 5 on 3 without their goalie pulled

Those are the rules. If the team didn't score on the 5 on 3 PP it would then be a 5 on 4 in OT and could even turn into a 5 on 5 in OT. Not until the next whistle would the change be made to either go back to 4 on 3 or 4 on 4.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Those are the rules. If the team didn't score on the 5 on 3 PP it would then be a 5 on 4 in OT and could even turn into a 5 on 5 in OT. Not until the next whistle would the change be made to either go back to 4 on 3 or 4 on 4.

It was 5 on 4 going into overtime

Started as 4 on 3

Got a penalty

Turned into 5 on 3

Doesn't sound right to me

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
So, the only HUT Reward Packs I've found that you get from playing the demo are:

-Invite a Friend to play the demo (not sure if this has been officially announced by EA, but I'm assuming you get something for this)
-Complete a HUT game
-Upgrade that 2nd pack to a better value pack by winning the HUT Tournament

I've completed the first two so far, but I haven't seen any indication that I'm getting a pack yet, just going off of what EA is saying about HUT.

Anyone find anything else?

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Got my helmet popped off in a fight - as it was falling I threw a punch, and punched it over the glass into the stands :biglaugh:

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
It was 5 on 4 going into overtime

Started as 4 on 3

Got a penalty

Turned into 5 on 3

Doesn't sound right to me

Happened to me playing yesterday, too. It's in the NHL rulebook but rarely ever happens (I can't remember an occurrence myself).

In overtime, if a team is penalized such that a two-man advantage is called for, then the offending team will remain at three (3) skaters while the non-offending team will be permitted a fifth skater.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26498

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But for crying out loud, can we at least get some new cut scenes or have the players celebrate together after a goal? It plays a little better but looks like the exact same game it's been for 3 straight years.

Erm, last year was the year they changed the between-whistles engine completely. Your argument is invalid. We take things for granted already this year that were big changes just the previous year. Next year, people will be talking about how Live the Life hasn't been changed in three years. ;)

Green Blob*

Hated the demo at first.

Love it now. They did a lot of good small things this year to improve the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad