** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Has anyone made it to the shootouts? It's gotten absurdly easy to score goals in the shootout. :laugh:

you do know the sliders are all set up to accent new features of the game. this isnt how the actual game will play. They do with this with 100% of the demos.

TylerSVT*

you do know the sliders are all set up to accent new features of the game. this isnt how the actual game will play. They do with this with 100% of the demos.

Can someone explain why they would do this? "Like, lets make the product feel totally different from what you actually get" Doesnt make much sense to me.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Has anyone made it to the shootouts? It's gotten absurdly easy to score goals in the shootout. :laugh:

The best move I've found is skating up the middle and taking a slapshot glove high, goes in way too often. It doesn't matter what handed shot you are.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Can someone explain why they would do this? "Like, lets make the product feel totally different from what you actually get" Doesnt make much sense to me.

Have you never played video games or demos before? Is this all a new concept to you?

The demo is to accent the changes made to the franchise while still giving you a rough feel for how its played. The point is you can download the demo decided i do like these changes and will purchase the new game or the opposite.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yes I just won a game with 0.1 Seconds left woooo.

Edit: HUT is still broken. I won that game 1-0 and it said I lost.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I only played for an hour but the AI appeared to be a lot smarter. Setting up one timers was a lot easier. The AI was fighting to get in front of the defensive players and not just settle to stand behind them giving me no passing options but the point directly behind me if I am at the half boards.

BOUNCE

Jul 22, 2007
Edmonton
Dumbed down version of NHL13. Deking is incredibly easy with the one touch system. Can't wait to see XxXQUEBEC4LIFEXxX spamming it online. The skating feels less realistic. I can go in any direction I want my player never falls, I never lose the puck. Way more arcadey feeling. Shots seem way to fast/hard. Way easier to transition to NHL14 from 13 then it was from 12 to NHL13. I had to try HUT a couple times to beat it last year, this year first try no problem using exactly the same stuff that works in NHL13.

Im curious to see how it will all play out in OTP/EASHL

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Have they removed NHL Moments Live from this year's game? They haven't said anything about it, and I thought it was a good feature last year.

ScottStevens

Jun 20, 2013
Dumbed down version of NHL13. Deking is incredibly easy with the one touch system. Can't wait to see XxXQUEBEC4LIFEXxX spamming it online. The skating feels less realistic. I can go in any direction I want my player never falls, I never lose the puck. Way more arcadey feeling. Shots seem way to fast/hard. Way easier to transition to NHL14 from 13 then it was from 12 to NHL13. I had to try HUT a couple times to beat it last year, this year first try no problem using exactly the same stuff that works in NHL13.

Im curious to see how it will all play out in OTP/EASHL
The shots are finally good, before they were like 60 mph. Now they seem more real.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
you can no longer get away with boarding/hitting from behind at every opportunity.

played some HUT in the demo right after playing a game of 13 and kinda forgot I'd switched over. ran someone over from behind with Shea Weber and got five and a game. it looked better and I got a penalty for it, as I should have.

another welcome change.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
The shots are finally good, before they were like 60 mph. Now they seem more real.

The probelm I have is it doesn't seem to matter who I'm shooting it with. I can take a slap shot with Weber and then the same shot with an AHL guy and they seem to be close to the same speed. I don't mind top players being able to rip shots but not every player should be able to blast rockets off like they do now. hopefully this gets adjusted before or soon after release.

Kyle Doobas*

Yes I just won a game with 0.1 Seconds left woooo.
I just won a game in OT with 1 second left on a shorthanded breakaway with Rob Scuderi.

I'll have to play it a bit more before deciding whether or not to buy it. Similar to the upgrade from 12 > 13, 13 > 14 doesn't look or sound any different, but it feels different to play. It's pretty lame that this is all they managed to do in the past year, but there are a few differences with the physics, etc.

The new fighting system is an improvement, but it still feels too restricted. I loved the freedom of the fighting way back in NHL 99, where you could just stand and throw haymakers or grapple/wrestle, or even jersey the other guy. Size needs to be more of a factor as well. I was playing as Chara and got ragdolled in a fight with Jonathan Toews. :laugh:

EDIT: had a couple more fights. Just realized you do have an option whether or not to grapple. Fighting people online might actually be worthwhile now. :laugh:

WTF happened to the stick lift though?

Last edited by a moderator:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
WTF happened to the stick lift though?

Sticklifting was nerfed from '12 to '13, so I don't get the shock I'm seeing from some posters. I used two really effective stick-lifts in my first attempt at the demo. It's useful in a battle for a lose puck. If you want to use it on someone in full control, you have to actually gain puck position.

I was disappointed thinking that they took the chop out of the game as I used that feature a ton in '13, but I realized that they simply changed the control. I think it's much better now.

I find the tying up in front of the net is a whole lot better and more realistic. I position locked for a game and had Gregory Campbell shoving his ass into Duncan Keith with his stick still on the ice, able to receive a puck.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I play a power forward type of game in EASHL. If i have to fight after 90% of my hits, the disk is not going to last very long in my hands. If i'm forced into a fight, the other player should atleast get an instigator.

This is what concerns me as well. I usually get ~15 hits a game. If I'm stuck in the penalty box half the game because of forced fights, I'm going to stop playing it pretty damn quick (and its my favorite mode)

SJsharks

Apr 17, 2007
Dont worry about it
Playing the demo more I'm liking it a little better. The hitting is way improved and the fighting is Amazing. But for crying out loud, can we at least get some new cut scenes or have the players celebrate together after a goal? It plays a little better but looks like the exact same game it's been for 3 straight years.

Also getting picky, but can we do something with the net tension physics? Just looks weird when you blast one past the goalie and it just sticks to the back of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad