NHL 13 Player Ratings

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
I'd suggest you all to look at the individual stats of a player before saying EA's ratings system stinks, because i thought that Tavares is waaay to low at 85 ovr but then i saw his individual stats and those are almost correct as they can get. Unless you want to raise his wrist shot power to 99 so he can be a 90ovr and not be too low for you.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Phaneuf 88??? Who do they think he is, Bobby Orr?

on the other hand, Grabo the same as Connolly and Lombardi? Wow that's bad and I'm not even a Leafs fan.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Ratings_vancouver.jpg

Haha, awwwwww yeaaah. Canucks just got 100x harder to play against online baby, we takin overrr one game at a time.

Sedins at 90+
Kesler's an absolute beast at 88, will play more like a 90
Edler 88
Hamhuis 88
Bieksa 84
Booth 84 and a beast of an 84 too, will play like an 86
LUUUUUUUUU, big time 89, top 5 goalie in the league.

EA NHL headquarters is located in Vancouver, what a coincidence!!

GoalDeny

Dec 24, 2010
Canada
All these talks about Vancouver bias :facepalm: . Yeah, let's all completely ignore the fact that scouts are the ones who determine the ratings, and not the guys who work on the game in Burnaby.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Can you prove there's a bias towards Vancouver? It works both ways ...

FYI, the Canucks are a good team. Not sure if you're aware of that or not.

Over the last 3 seasons:
- Stanley Cup Finals appearance
- 2 x Presidents Trophies
- 2 x Art Ross Trophies
- 2 x League MVP Trophies
- William M. Jennings Trophy
- Frank J. Selke Trophy
- Vezina finalist
- Frank J. Selke finalist

... and, of course, the obligatory lack of knowledge about how Overall is calculated in NHL 13.

Remember in NHL 09 when the Sedins were Vancouver's best players (outside of Luongo) and had whopping 84 Overall ratings ? They were point per game players back then. Don't give me that garbage that the NHL team favours Vancouver just because they're based out of Vancouver.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

Over the last 3 seasons:
- 2 x Art Ross Trophies
- Frank J. Selke Trophy
- Vezina finalist

... and, of course, the obligatory lack of knowledge about how Overall is calculated in NHL 13.

Remember in NHL 09 when the Sedins were Vancouver's best players (outside of Luongo) and had whopping 84 Overall ratings ? They were point per game players back then. Don't give me that garbage that the NHL team favours Vancouver just because they're based out of Vancouver.

Are they the clear cut best team going into the year? Compare their EA roster with the other top 5 teams. It's clear some of those players are too high

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Are they the clear cut best team going into the year? Compare their EA roster with the other top 5 teams. It's clear some of those players are too high
They're too high based on what? We don't know their attributes or how the overall is calculated. It's all just hearsay and speculation at this point.

Vancouver's team is almost exactly the same as last year. Salo and Rome were swapped out for Garrison and Joslin. Rome is better than Joslin (Rome was our #7, so it's irrelevant, anyways), but I have a hard time believing that a 38-year-old Salo is better than a 27-year-old Garrison. What reason is there to believe that they won't be Presidents Trophy winners for the 3rd year in a row?

ImScore71

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
I hope this is a joke, because these ratings are awful.

RJ Umberger and James Neal are both 84's? LOL please tell me I'm dreaming right now.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I redo all of the ratings anyway, so I figured I'd post them, starting with the Northeast division.

ratings.png

They might not be perfect, but at least they're more consistent than EA's... seriously it's like a different person rated each player.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm from a school of thought that players should be ranked by how good they are compared to the rest of the league. For example, create a list of the top 10 players by each position and work your way down from there. That way you eliminate overrating players based on their player type. Just because Kesler is a defensive minded center doesn't mean his ratings should rank him ahead of Kopitar. Even if it is a cosmetic difference, it looks bad, as does having Mike Richards rated ahead of a player like Kopitar, or Dan Hamhuis being one of the highest rated defensemen in the game (seriously?!).

If it were up to me (and I used to do this for a living), you start with these guys as your top 10 centers who should be rated between 89-99 (max, and I'd reserve the 100, 99, 98 overalls for legends like Gretzky, Lemieux, etc. as they should be special players who should be extraordinary to control when playing the game).

Crosby
Malkin
Sedin
Stamkos
Giroux
Toews
Kopitar
Datsyuk
Spezza
Tavares

Then you get to the second tier of centers which would include the following 10:

Thornton
B. Richards
M. Koivu
Getzlaf
Backstrom
E. Staal
Stastny
M. Richards
Kesler
Elias

Then your go down the list from there (in no specific order):
Bergeron
Seguin
Krejci
Duchene
Ribeiro
Filppula
J. Staal
Nugent-Hopkins
Plekanec
Lecavalier
Jokinen
Weiss
Roy

Set thresholds, Crosby being the highest, and work your way down from there. This ensures a transparent method for rating players, and that is how it should be done when you rate players. They are rated and ranked among others who play the same exact position. Nobody is going to put Ryan Kesler in their top 10 list of centers in the NHL, but based on the silly method that EA has put in place, he is rated among the top 10 players at his position. That's just wrong.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
They're too high based on what? We don't know their attributes or how the overall is calculated. It's all just hearsay and speculation at this point.

Vancouver's team is almost exactly the same as last year. Salo and Rome were swapped out for Garrison and Joslin. Rome is better than Joslin (Rome was our #7, so it's irrelevant, anyways), but I have a hard time believing that a 38-year-old Salo is better than a 27-year-old Garrison. What reason is there to believe that they won't be Presidents Trophy winners for the 3rd year in a row?

Dan Hamhuis 88 enough said

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Over the last 3 seasons:
- 2 x Art Ross Trophies
- Frank J. Selke Trophy
- Vezina finalist

Lol okay....Hamhuis is an 88. Are you honestly telling me that Dan Hamhuis is worth an 88?

It seems like you and EA must've watched a much different season this past year.

And don't give me this garbage that scouts determines ratings and then when I ask for proof you give me this "Prove that they're not" mentality. That doesn't do anything. Clearly it's not the scouts that determine video game ratings. Give me some proof.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
I hope this is a joke, because these ratings are awful.

RJ Umberger and James Neal are both 84's? LOL please tell me I'm dreaming right now.

So what? I bet they will play completely different because Neal will be rated higher in offensive stats while Umberger will have higher checking stats

people are taking the overall too seriously

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Lol okay....Hamhuis is an 88. Are you honestly telling me that Dan Hamhuis is worth an 88?

It seems like you and EA must've watched a much different season this past year.

And don't give me this garbage that scouts determines ratings and then when I ask for proof you give me this "Prove that they're not" mentality. That doesn't do anything. Clearly it's not the scouts that determine video game ratings. Give me some proof.
He is if he's strong in the areas that are heavily weighted. The common theme, as I've said many times, is that physicality, skating, and defense are all strong points of the top-rated dmen. Hamhuis is strong in all of those areas

I'm sure someone in Hamilton watched more Canucks games than I did :sarcasm:. And Hamhuis finished 10th in Norris voting, so clearly many in the media agree he's one of the best in the league.

I've heard directly from the devs that they have a scouting agency do their ratings. You're the one making claims otherwise based purely on speculation, so the onus is on you, buddy ...

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I redo all of the ratings anyway, so I figured I'd post them, starting with the Northeast division.

ratings.png

They might not be perfect, but at least they're more consistent than EA's... seriously it's like a different person rated each player.

Good, maybe Markov up a little

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad