Rosters and Ratings: NHL 13 player growth

McLurking

Dec 19, 2011
Southside Chicago
Corey Crawford seriously needs to be upgraded. I remember back in 2012 in my NHL 12 League the Blackhawks made it to the Stanley Cup Final, Crawford was SO AWFUL in that series he gave up some of easiest goals I'd ever seen a goalie give up deep in the playoffs. Hawks literally couldn't keep a lead that series because Crawford would give up a cheap deflating goal EVERYTIME. I mean dude has looked like a peewee junior hockey goalie in previous EA NHL games.

His technical ability as a goalie was on the level of a backup in NHL 12 and 13. Especially NHL 12 where the ratings seemed to actually matter. I recall seeing pucks go through him repeatedly like swiss cheese, he has this bad habit of leaving space between his arms and his body pucks would go through him every day, he also never got low quick enough and pucks routinely went underneath his pads, he also would make the initial save then not control it and it'd slid behind him, then he also had this habit of clearing the puck right behind his net before any Hawk player could reach the puck off boards before an opposing player. NHL 14 needs to fix Crawford's mechanics because he made rudimentary mistakes that I didn't see guys like Tim Thomas, Jonathan Quick, Pekka Rinne, etc making.

moorebf235

Nov 4, 2012
Boston
I have proof that there is no reasoning behind any of it or if there is reasoning then its broken.

Curtis Lazer went into the 2021/2022 season as an 83OVR 27YO sniper between the regular season and the playoffs he plays 106 games on the second line en route to a Stanley Cup. He finishes the year with 46G 31A 77P +26 in those 106 games. The next season he is an 82OVR and some of his shooting has gone down.

Boone Jenner goes into the same season as an 81OVR 29YO TWF. He plays 36 games in the regular season 6G 6A 12P +8. No games in the post season. The next season he is an 83 OVR.

I took pictures of it before and after the progression cause I had to go back and go over the progression date twice to see if it wasn't some type of glitch.

http://imgur.com/a/Ix2na

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Does anybody know or have any sort of idea where Jonathan Drouin will reach after his rookie year? I got him from a trade and he is currently a 68 overall and he is on my first line with Bobby Ryan and Patrick Marleau, any ideas? One other thing, I am looking at prospects for the 2016 draft and there is a goalie by the name of Bernard Verot who was 5 green stars and is now 5 red stars, what is his true potential? Is he worth taking in the first round?

Jakub

Resu Deretsiger
Jun 26, 2013
Moonbeam, Ontario
I drafted Al Iafrate's son Max with my Ottawa dynasty, he turns out great, basically exactly like his father. slap shot power is 98 and he's a great hitter.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Does anybody know or have any sort of idea where Jonathan Drouin will reach after his rookie year? I got him from a trade and he is currently a 68 overall and he is on my first line with Bobby Ryan and Patrick Marleau, any ideas? One other thing, I am looking at prospects for the 2016 draft and there is a goalie by the name of Bernard Verot who was 5 green stars and is now 5 red stars, what is his true potential? Is he worth taking in the first round?

He took a while for me, but ends up being really good.

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
He took a while for me, but ends up being really good.

Thanks, about what was his rating at his peak? Because he has been really clutch for me on my first line and scoring a lot of goals and getting a lot of assists and faceoff wins. I traded seguin for him and a first round pick and I think it will work out perfectly.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
developing goalies

So I just traded for a five star goalie J. Patterson (I'd never seen a 5 star prospect.) Anyways, I want to bring him up right. Any tips non developing goalies?

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
So I just traded for a five star goalie J. Patterson (I'd never seen a 5 star prospect.) Anyways, I want to bring him up right. Any tips non developing goalies?

The best way to ensure tht they develop quickly and well is normally to just start them. I remember a friend had traded for malcolm subban as the oilers and started subban as 58 compared to devan dubnyk as an 83. Subban did better though, but subban never developed though, so it is pretty random, but you should start him.

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
Not sure how goalies develop. Played a full season with the Oilers in my first year in bagm, stat lines were 1.69/.890/65 wins, went from 83 to 81 overall. Also in a different year, played a 63 overall goalie in all 75-80 games, terrible stats, only went up to 66. I say develop young goalies in the minors until the season before you need them, that way they are in their skill level and can do well, compared to getting sniped every game.

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
There is also this goalie in our upcoming 2016 draft with a 5 star potential, firt was green, then sent scouts there and now is 5 stars red name Bernard Verot. Does he develop well?

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty much come to the conclusion at this point that you can't really "develop" anyone in this game. Certain players will either sky rocket, slowly climb, or remain stagnant unless you directly influence their statistics by playing the game.

Sky Rocket build:
Player will dramatically improve over a three year period where they can go from something like 60 OVR to 88 OVR. These jumps normally occur regardless of whether they player in the juniors, the AHL, or put up terrible numbers at the NHL level.

Slow climb build:
Player starts out at let's say 78 OVR and climbs by 1-3 OVR per season regardless of where they play in the line-up whether it is the AHL or NHL.

Stagnant build:
Player starts out at 78 and stays at that rating (give or take 1 OVR) until they are in their mid-twenties where they sometimes then develop into a better player. This player will not improve regardless of the stats that they put up in the AHL and will only improve if you directly influence them by playing the game to put up great NHL numbers.

Now take any player in the game and put up (70+ points as a forward, 50+ points as a defenseman, or high goaltending stats) then watch as their OVR sky rockets as long as they continue to put up similar numbers. Only problem with directly influencing a player is that if they fail to reach those numbers the next season they'll likely revert back to being a sub-par talent.

My best advice: Look at the stats of your drafted players to see if a bunch have jumped up a lot higher than the rest. The players that fit into the sky rocket build tend to have inflated skills right from day one. Usually things like strength, agility, and balance will be low while everything else is inflated.

Frankly the prospect system in this game is terrible. Hoping for a much better effort from EA in NHL14. Had it not been for the fact that you can keep older players around longer in this game I probably would've kept playing NHL12.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Thanks, about what was his rating at his peak? Because he has been really clutch for me on my first line and scoring a lot of goals and getting a lot of assists and faceoff wins. I traded seguin for him and a first round pick and I think it will work out perfectly.

For some people he ends up being 90+ however for me he ended up being 88 ovr.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

play goalies where they want to be played. I got a 5 Green star goalie called Jesper Tedenby in 2020. Played him as AHL started year one, NHL backup year two then two years as NHL starter. his overalls respectively were 68>80>88>94

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
So I've tried to wade through the past 20 pages for an answer, and while it seems like the consensus is that player growth/development is random, is there still a "best" way to develop prospects? i.e. NHL vs. AHL? 1st line vs 3rd/4th line?

For example, I recently acquired Seth Jones in a trade mid-season (he was sent to CHL by the team that drafted him so first year I had no control over) and by the time he reported to camp this year, he was a 78OVR, 4.5 green, making him a 6th/7th dman on my team. Am I better off having him play first line/PP/PK minutes in the AHL, or 3rd pairing in the NHL? There's really no room in my top 4 (Keith, Subban, Carlson, Bogosian) so he'd be stuck getting little playing time, but with some of those contracts ending soon (or getting traded) I'd like to be able to move him into the top-4 in the next few years and want to make sure he progresses as much as possible in that time frame.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
So I've tried to wade through the past 20 pages for an answer, and while it seems like the consensus is that player growth/development is random, is there still a "best" way to develop prospects? i.e. NHL vs. AHL? 1st line vs 3rd/4th line?

For example, I recently acquired Seth Jones in a trade mid-season (he was sent to CHL by the team that drafted him so first year I had no control over) and by the time he reported to camp this year, he was a 78OVR, 4.5 green, making him a 6th/7th dman on my team. Am I better off having him play first line/PP/PK minutes in the AHL, or 3rd pairing in the NHL? There's really no room in my top 4 (Keith, Subban, Carlson, Bogosian) so he'd be stuck getting little playing time, but with some of those contracts ending soon (or getting traded) I'd like to be able to move him into the top-4 in the next few years and want to make sure he progresses as much as possible in that time frame.

I had the same situation as you with Jones. Played him as a 7th defenseman basically but he got quite a decent amount of playing time as I had 4 starting D injured at one point. He got like 12 points or so in 50 games and the next season he's an 82 or 83. I can't comment further because that's as far as I've gotten with him.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

As far as I can tell, no. Randomly generated prospects appear to be randomly assigned one of an unknown number of predetermined growth curves, each of which causes your prospect to develop in a certain way regardless of what you do. It is widely believed that having higher levels of assistant coach helps with this process, but nobody really has any theories as to how.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
can anyone give me the lowdown on Monahan, Shinkaruk and Domi. As a test I acquired them in my last 5 be a GM runs and ive never seen any of them above 70 Overall regardless of where I play them

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Well a player named Nikolai Kozybaev who was never on my Be-a-GM team (2016 first overall) just broke Wayne Gretzky's goal record.

1354 GP, 895 G, 464 A, 1359 P

Never passed 88. 4.5 yellow potential. He's only below 50 goals twice in his career (now 37YO).

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Well a player named Nikolai Kozybaev who was never on my Be-a-GM team (2016 first overall) just broke Wayne Gretzky's goal record.

1354 GP, 895 G, 464 A, 1359 P

Never passed 88. 4.5 yellow potential. He's only below 50 goals twice in his career (now 37YO).

Does he have 99 in every shooting category like Drouin used to get before the update? Drouin is only an 89 on my GM, but 99 in all shooting categories means he scores at least 40 goals per season.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa

NHL 11/12 had an experience system that would directly influence development based on playing time and the points a player put up. NHL 13 on the other hand has no such system and seems to be based purely on a random development path+points produced. From my experience giving a player "additional time" at the NHL level is only useful in raising their OVR if they actually put up points. The players that have been assigned a sky rocketing or slow progression path will generally improve regardless of where they play and they will progress more quickly if they have the added bonus of putting up more points.

If a prospect has completely stopped growing/never improved then you may see a random jump at a late stage of development (24-26 years old) or you may need to directly influence their point totals to force their OVR to improve.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
The reason why a lot of players seem to "skyrocket" in ratings is due to their Poise attribute improving. Young players naturally have low Poise so even if the rest of their stats are comparable to NHL regulars, the OVR won't catchup until their Poise does.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
The reason why a lot of players seem to "skyrocket" in ratings is due to their Poise attribute improving. Young players naturally have low Poise so even if the rest of their stats are comparable to NHL regulars, the OVR won't catchup until their Poise does.

Poise has no effect on OVR like it did in NHL 12.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa

Players in NHL13 tend to sky rocket because their shooting, offensive awareness, physical, and defense ratings jump from like 70-80 to the high 80/90's if they happen to be on the quick progression path. The main stats that seem to rarely increase in this game are balance, strength, and faceoffs regardless of what path the player is assigned. I find the faceoff stat's lack of progression particularly annoying because half the generated center prospects suck to on the draw to begin with.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad