Rosters and Ratings: NHL 13 player growth

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
in my 16th year with the kings, first line is:
Drouin 87, Mackinnon 90, Shinkaruk 87.
Second ling:
J. Hagelin (4.5 potential, 26 YO) 86, V. Cygan (same as Hagelin) 86, S. Sexsmith (Same potential, 24 YO) 87.

I find that if they match their old season's total, they stay the same. Improving a player is very hard. Have to get +25% of total points last season to go up one or two in high 80s.

If anybody is wondering how I got these players, I traded Richards Kopitar Carter Doughty and all the guys who are worth a lot but will retire soon for the first picks once I knew the draft picks potential.

Yes, I have won the cup 10 of the 16 years. I got lucky signing a 89 overall goalie as a 19 YO with 4.5 star potential... Pure luck.

KuemperTantrum

Aug 11, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Second ling:
J. Hagelin (4.5 potential, 26 YO) 86, V. Cygan (same as Hagelin) 86, S. Sexsmith (Same potential, 24 YO) 87.

I find that if they match their old season's total, they stay the same. Improving a player is very hard. Have to get +25% of total points last season to go up one or two in high 80s.

If anybody is wondering how I got these players, I traded Richards Kopitar Carter Doughty and all the guys who are worth a lot but will retire soon for the first picks once I knew the draft picks potential.

Yes, I have won the cup 10 of the 16 years. I got lucky signing a 89 overall goalie as a 19 YO with 4.5 star potential... Pure luck.

Hahah, just seen that in my current beagm. Some 19 yr old 85 overall 4.5 star potential goalie was just sitting in free agency. He was the 3rd pick in 2015, lol. Needless to say, I scooped him up. ;)

Crazy top 6 too, what are those guys best years they've had?

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
I am convinced that A) the prospect development process in the game isn't working correctly and that B) it is likely randomized. Below explains why...

I played Be a GM as the Sabers with two separate scenarios. In each scenario I ended up with picks #4, #5 and #15 in the 1st round of the 2013 entry draft. I selected Jonathan Drouin, Darnell Nurse and Hunter Shinkaruk respectively. They were each 18 years of age on draft day. They all went right to the AHL at the same time in each situation.

Here is where I changed it. In one scenario I left them to marinate in the AHL for four seasons. Getting top line minutes their final two seasons. In the second scenario I brought them all up after three seasons in the AHL, allowing only one year of top line minutes. In both cases they developed to nearly the same stat lines after four seasons.

Below are the stat lines from each scenario...
Scenario 1: 4 Years AHL. Stats are reflective of years 3 and 4 only...
Drouin: AHL Year 3: 66 AHL Year 4: 67
Nurse: AHL Year 3: 69 AHL Year 4: 70
Shinkaruk: AHL Year 3: 70 AHL Year 4: 72

Scenario 2: 3 Years AHL plus 1 NHL. Stats are reflective of last season in AHL and first season in NHL...
Drouin: AHL Year 3: 67 NHL Year 1: 68
Nurse: AHL Year 3: 69 NHL Year 1: 70
Shinkaruk: AHL Year 3: 70 NHL Year 1 4: 72

No change really, regardless of what I did. Furthermore, I don't think these guys are developing correctly at all. Going beyond year four in each situation their ratings did grow some. However, I feel that top prospects should be progressing much faster than they are in this game. Unless I happened upon three busts, both times, I feel these are guys who buy years three-four should be rating in 75-79 range minimum. Which leads me to believe that EA's developmental system just flat out doesn't work.

end2endrush

Sep 6, 2012
It was the same projection for me with Drouin. For some reason when he was like 24 he jumped to a 92 and led the league in goals. It seems like whenever you get a top prospect it takes forever for them to pan out, but when a CPU team gets them they always pan out in 1-2 years.

TylerSVT*

Best thing to do:

Draft 18 year old players (for some reason this game wants to put 20 year olds in the draft) and then let them sit in juniors for 2 years unsigned, then sign them to their ELC contracts and let them play in the NHL.

I had Mackinnon drafted 1st overall in 2013, but didnt sign him for the first year and let him develop in juniors, jumped to a 79 in one year, Jones went to an 82. And Patrick Seiloff went to an 82 after two years in juniors.

Plus you get them on their ELC's for WAY longer.

Hilarious seeing Ekblad in the NHL in 2016 as an 85 overall and making 900K.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Second ling:

How do you stay on one team for 16 yrs??

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The development in this game is awful.

I gave up trying to figure it out months ago. The players who grow are players with 5 higher numbers. Speed, wrist shot, off and def abilities and poise. So every year draft those guys who have a good mesh of those numbers, combined. Better yet, trade for them. After two years you'll sim the best you ever have. This is the one year I couldn't figure the game out through conventional logic but funny thing is, I sim dominate teams year after year.

I complained about but would much rather have a hybrid of the older system back. Isn't part of being a gm and coach to develop your players? I used to love drafting now after the 2nd round, it's pointless. Any word in any updated player growth systems???

princegeorgehockey

Dec 15, 2010
british columbia
starting year 5 with cbj:
best top 8 D in league:
J.Johnson 29yrsold-86ovr-4.355M cap 2yrsleft
J.Wisniewski 32yrsold-86ovr-5.500M cap 1yrleft
F. Tyutin 32yrsold-85ovr-4.500M cap 2yrsleft
R. Murray 22yrsold-85ovr-4.500M cap 3yrsleft
C. Goloubef 27yrsold-84ovr-3.200M cap 1yrleft
A. Emelin 30yrsold-82ovr-3.000M cap 3yrsleft
T. Erixon 25yrsold-81ovr-2.650M cap 1yrleft
B. Ponich 25yrsold-79ovr-0.900M cap 2yrsleft

good mix of size ,dfd, ofd, twd, youth and veteren experience made the conference finals 3 years in a row no cups yet tho.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
I was playing with my San Jose GM and in 2014 i drafted Jake Virtanen 9th overall. After the draft i checked his overall and he was 45 overall, i figured he was a longshot to make my team so i traded him. In 2019 was looking to make a trade and i stumbled across Virtanen, his trade value was ridiculous! he was 67 overall at 21 years old. Needless to say i massively overpaid for him. now in 2022 and he is 86 overall as a rookie. I played him first line all season and he ended up with 65 points. In the offseason i go to resign him and HE'S 92 OVERALL! still with 4 star gold potential and asking for 12.3 million :shakehead

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
Bumping an old topic...

So it looks like people over at Operation Sports have cracked the NHL 14 database so they can edit rosters with 3rd party editors. One of the interesting things found relates to prospect growth, which is described here. The three items of interest I found are

"Growth Age"

Everybody has zero here. I'm guessing this is randomized by the game when you play.

"Growth Speed"

Rated from 1 to 5. How quickly will someone improve I guess. Huberdeau has 1, Galchenyuk has 2, Richard Zednik has 5.

"Growth Tier"

Undeniably, the glass ceiling of your growth, from 1 to 10 with 1 being tops. Datsyuk, Lemieux, Gretzky, Crosby, Toews are 1s. Huberdeau is a 2. Couturier is a 3. Daniel Corso is a 10. I also think this is in line with the star ratings in the game, with 1 being 5 stars, 2 being 4.5, 3 being 4, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad