Rosters and Ratings: NHL 13 player growth

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
I also found a new prospect right wing, 4.5 stars name Kurt Banasik, he develop well? I am planning on drafting him and that guy Bernard Verot with my 2 first round draft picks.

WeGotTheCup

Registered Dangler
Mar 8, 2009
Seattle, WA
So I just traded for a five star goalie J. Patterson (I'd never seen a 5 star prospect.) Anyways, I want to bring him up right. Any tips non developing goalies?

I drafted an 18-year-old goalie with legit 5-star potential (the only one i can recall ever seeing in the draft). I started him in the NHL right away, pretty much every game. His save % was bad the first few years but wins and GAA have always been near the top of the league. Six years in with him I think I've won 3 cups (really strong roster in front of him). Here is his overall progression, with age:

18: 64 overall
19: 78
20: 86
21: 91
22: 93
23: 93

WeGotTheCup

Registered Dangler
Mar 8, 2009
Seattle, WA
I also found a new prospect right wing, 4.5 stars name Kurt Banasik, he develop well? I am planning on drafting him and that guy Bernard Verot with my 2 first round draft picks.

I have found that prospects with 4.5 potential will peak at 88-90. They seem to get up into that range pretty quickly, then fluctuate randomly by a point either way no matter how they perform from season to season.

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Somebody please help me. I traded for a 19 year old 4.5 star 81 overall d man name v. Tolpeko. He was unsigned with ottawa and it wont let me sign him. Please help, i traded for him to play him and not wait for resigning phase of offseason

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
can anyone give me the lowdown on Monahan, Shinkaruk and Domi. As a test I acquired them in my last 5 be a GM runs and ive never seen any of them above 70 Overall regardless of where I play them

I developed Shinkaruk into an 89 OVR in 3 or 4 season's but I played most of the games so his stats we're probably much higher then they would've been otherwise. It took two or three 70-80 point seasons to develop him to 88 OVR, then after a 115 point season he only went up to 89, which was disappointing. :shakehead

Monahan on the other hand has played the same amount of time in the AHL putting up a point in roughly 80% of his games and he still hasn't developed out of the high 70's.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I have proof that there is no reasoning behind any of it or if there is reasoning then its broken.

Curtis Lazer went into the 2021/2022 season as an 83OVR 27YO sniper between the regular season and the playoffs he plays 106 games on the second line en route to a Stanley Cup. He finishes the year with 46G 31A 77P +26 in those 106 games. The next season he is an 82OVR and some of his shooting has gone down.

Boone Jenner goes into the same season as an 81OVR 29YO TWF. He plays 36 games in the regular season 6G 6A 12P +8. No games in the post season. The next season he is an 83 OVR.

I took pictures of it before and after the progression cause I had to go back and go over the progression date twice to see if it wasn't some type of glitch.

http://imgur.com/a/Ix2na

That development actually makes perfect sense. Lazar had a 65 point rookie season, followed by a 57 point sophomore year. It makes understandable for a player to go down 1 OVR if they have a less productive sophomore year. :sarcasm:

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Hilarious that 7 fewer regular season points caused Lazar to drop, even though he posted 20 points in 24 playoff games.

I'm guessing the game assumes Jenner's improved PPG would've carried through if he had played a whole 82 game season.

FrenchTickler

Jun 11, 2013
Quebec City
Jonathan Drouin takes forever to develop in the new update. I drafted him in 2013 and I'm in 2019 and he has yet to crack my roster. I hope he'll get a boost soon but its just so unrealistic. Usually players of his caliber will be NHL ready 1-2 years after being drafted. The whole 2013 draft class in the game takes a while to develop and it sucks cause some guys that I drafted in 2016, 2017 and 2018 are already playing on my team...

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hilarious that 7 fewer regular season points caused Lazar to drop, even though he posted 20 points in 24 playoff games.

I'm guessing the game assumes Jenner's improved PPG would've carried through if he had played a whole 82 game season.

As ridiculous as it is, in my experience play-off production doesn't do much for your players development. I've had Karlsson put up 70-80 points in the reg. season followed by another 30 points in a 20 game run to the Stanley Cup and he only improved 1 OVR. :shakehead

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Jonathan Drouin takes forever to develop in the new update. I drafted him in 2013 and I'm in 2019 and he has yet to crack my roster. I hope he'll get a boost soon but its just so unrealistic. Usually players of his caliber will be NHL ready 1-2 years after being drafted. The whole 2013 draft class in the game takes a while to develop and it sucks cause some guys that I drafted in 2016, 2017 and 2018 are already playing on my team...

I find if you force a player into the NHL right from the draft they develop much faster. If you keep your players down in the minor's for more then a couple season's it really hurt's their development.

In the same draft year I picked both Shinkaruk and Monahan. (4.5 star progression) Shink started in the NHL right away and is now an 89 OVR after 3-4 season's, however Monahan's only a 77 OVR after the same amount of time in Bingo. :help:

Flyers8

Apr 23, 2013

He took a really long time for me too so I made him a 78 overall, but in 5 years, he was only an 81 overall. For my current GM, I had to create another Drouin to replace the one in the game. I hope this one progresses better. I made him 75 overall with 4.5 Green stars. I also replaced Barkov and made him 77 overall and 4.5 Green stars.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Somebody please help me. I traded for a 19 year old 4.5 star 81 overall d man name v. Tolpeko. He was unsigned with ottawa and it wont let me sign him. Please help, i traded for him to play him and not wait for resigning phase of offseason

You can't resign mid-season, the season has to be over first.

FrenchTickler

Jun 11, 2013
Quebec City
He took a really long time for me too so I made him a 78 overall, but in 5 years, he was only an 81 overall. For my current GM, I had to create another Drouin to replace the one in the game. I hope this one progresses better. I made him 75 overall with 4.5 Green stars. I also replaced Barkov and made him 77 overall and 4.5 Green stars.

I hope they turn out better for you and that's probably what I will do with my next Be A GM once I am done with this one but I'm still hoping that he and Frederick Gauthier will crack my roster soon!

Flyers8

Apr 23, 2013
I hope they turn out better for you and that's probably what I will do with my next Be A GM once I am done with this one but I'm still hoping that he and Frederick Gauthier will crack my roster soon!

I hope they turn out better too. Your Drouin will probably shoot up to 86 or 87 when he turns 25, but Gauthier will probably stay lower than 82 or 83.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The game's really old at this point, but in case anyone didn't know, created players develop infinitely better than players that are already in the game.

So, for example, if you create Jonathan Drouin in create-a-player mode, and give him the same attribute ratings/potential as the already existing Drouin in the game, he'll be an amazing player in 2-3 seasons.

Works pretty much 100% of the time. EA's dumb.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Isles got screwed pretty good with Strome and Nino.

I simmed an entire season, forcing them onto the top-line with Tavares. The team went to the Finals, they finished with respectably 40+ point totals, and jumped a whopping 1 and 3 points respectively.
Strome ended up winning the Art Ross and Hart in my dynasty.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
The set age where prospects make the jump to their full potential needs to be randomized, not set permanently at 25. That's 7 seasons I have to wait for a prospect I drafted 22 overall to make the NHL...wtf is that?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
The set age where prospects make the jump to their full potential needs to be randomized, not set permanently at 25. That's 7 seasons I have to wait for a prospect I drafted 22 overall to make the NHL...wtf is that?

Plenty of guys drafted around 22nd overall never make the NHL.

And plenty of prospects in NHL13 make their jump before 25.

I'd still like to see a complete revamp of the player growth system for 15.

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Ok, well, couldn't sign Tolpeko. Lost in 5 games in the Stanley Cup Finals. Tolpeko boosted from 81 to 87 as an unsigned player on my roster, he didn't play a minute of this past season in Ottawa or here in Boston.

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
And plenty of prospects in NHL13 make their jump before 25.

I'd still like to see a complete revamp of the player growth system for 15.

The player development system 13 has in place is just garbage. It's so unrealistic because I drafted Drouin and he only went up 4 points from when I drafted him as a 68. But that unsigned prospect on my roster Tolpeko went up from 81 to 87 and didn't play a single minute this whole season. It's messed up, lets hope its better in 14.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Does anybody know how to make custom players enter the draft in Be A GM?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Does anybody know how to make custom players enter the draft in Be A GM?

If its for the Regular draft you have to change the players age to be 18 or under then out them on an CHL/Euro team(for Euro teams you have to have their age above 18 to trade them there but once they are on the team you edit there age back ti under 18 agian)....Hope this helps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad