NHL 13 Dynasty Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Good news for me. I drafted Ristolainen in the 2nd round of my first draft. I think Buffalo wanted to trade Jordan Leopold for him straight up. And then they wanted Ristolainen and someone else for Robyn Regehr and some picks. Where did you play Ristolainen at? I can't really speak for the 2014 draft thought since I haven't got there yet.

I signed him immediately and put him in the AHL first pairing with McIlrath. Both seems to be growing nicely. In my game, Boston actually has Dougie Hamilton on the block so I think I'll just trade Girardi for him and promote Ristolainen at the start of the next season.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
I signed him immediately and put him in the AHL first pairing with McIlrath. Both seems to be growing nicely. In my game, Boston actually has Dougie Hamilton on the block so I think I'll just trade Girardi for him and promote Ristolainen at the start of the next season.

Yeah I have him on the first pair in the AHL. If he grows enough then I'll bring him up to the NHL squad next season since my defense is getting old.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
I have Ristolainen too. After one year he's a 79 overall and playing on my 1st D pair in the AHL. Barkov isn't developing too well though. I took him 20th overall and after a year he's only a 58.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Started a franchise with the Oilers last night, but for some reason I was disconnected from the EA servers. Somehow this resulted in the rosters reverted back to the originals (despite me already downloading the new ones). Which means I don't have Yakupov. :shakehead I would restart, but I am too lazy, and I pulled off a pretty sweet trade.
Got John Carlson for Anton Lander, some unsigned three-star LW prospect, and my 2nd round pick. :nod:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Any advice on who to draft in the top 5 in the 2nd year? I have 2 picks :laugh:

Hunter Shinkaruk
Nathan MacKinnon
Ryan Pulock

- Those 3 are the top 3 picks that will come out of the draft. However, each and every Be a GM is different, and the CPU will generate other prospects OR randomly assign current in-game prospects to different potential levels, etc., which means that there will likely be more than a few 4.5 star potential players in your draft class.

- Just make sure that you scout properly; make sure you are setting your scouting assignments regularly and go from there. Even with an average amateur scout upgrade, you will be able to find out what players are promising picks in the first round.

- Always trade up; think ahead. Deadline, free agency, etc., always think of how you can maximize your tradeable assets so that come draft day you can trade up and land one of those top 2 or 3 picks and land one of the best young players. When you are picking at the very high spots in the draft, it's kind of impossible to draft a kid who isn't going to turn out decent.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Back with another report from my be a gm.

The offseason was pretty dull overall. No big moves made by the Philadelphia Flyers GM fresh off a Stanley Cup win. It started off with the draft. With the 30th overall pick the Flyers drafted 21 year old Left Winger Andrew Agozzino. A 78 overall with 3.5 yellow stars for potential. He made the team right away as a perfect 3rd line sniper. Andrew has 87 or above for all 4 shooting attributes. With the 60th overall pick, I selected Defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen. A 19 year old TWD at 71 overall with 3.5 yellow stars for potential. Rasmus will be expected to join the Flyers within 2-3 years after some time in the AHL.

Then came the re-sign phase. I was able to resign all the players I wanted and let go of a few veterans that I didn't want like Blair Betts, Ruslan Fedotenko and Matt Walker. Next up was free agency. The best UFA on the market was Simon Gagne, the top goal scorer from the previous season. I was tempted to make an offer to Gagne but after looking at the players I would need to resign in the next few years, I decided he wasn't worth the price. I believe he was asking for at least 6mil per year over 5 years. The other UFA's weren't too interesting and I decided to not go the route of offer sheeting RFA's although Del Zotto and McDonagh were both there. So there were no signings at all for the Flyers.

Coming out of the off season and into the pre-season, I went over my lines and noticed I had quite a few options at 3rd center but nobody for the 2nd line center position. I found one of my only options was the rival New Jersey Devils center Travis Zajac so I offered them a deal.

To Philadelphia:
C Travis Zajac
LW Stephen Gionta(to keep NJ under max roster size)

To New Jersey:
C Max Talbot
D Bruno Gervais
2014 2nd round pick

I feel I got the better end of the deal here. Talbot had no room on my lines with Brayden Schenn occupying the 3rd line center position and Bruno Gervais was a healthy scratch all this time and I threw in the 2nd round pick to sweeten the deal.

Heading into the trade deadline the Flyers are 36-20-6 and are sitting in 6th place in the Eastern Conference. I went over my roster and noticed that my top defense pairing is getting old. Kimmo Timonen is 38 and Chris Pronger is 39 and I am assuming they will both retire at the end of this season. I decided that instead of letting them retire that I would trade them and get something in return. First I struck a deal with the New Jersey Devils again.

To New Jersey:
D Chris Pronger
D Nicklas Grossmann(healthy scratch)
2019 1st round pick

To Philadelphia:
D Adam Larsson
D Josh Morrissey(18 years old, 70 overall OFD, 4.5 yellow star potential)

Then I made a trade with the Chicago Blackhawks for another defenseman.

To Chicago:
D Kimmo Timonen

To Philadelphia:
D Nick Leddy

I feel I got away with robbery on these trades, especially on the Timonen one. On the Pronger trade, I got rid of an aging defenseman and got an replacement that could step in right away and still get better with Adam Larsson and then I traded a healthy scratch that I never used in Grossmann and a first round pick that I'm not sure I'll need for a young prospect defenseman that will get a couple years to develop. On the Timonen trade, I feel was a good trade for as well, I picked up another young defenseman to fit into my plan of a young defense core and traded away another aging defenseman. I feel that I got 3 really good and young defenseman while Timonen and Pronger will be rentals for the last couple months of the season and then retire in the offseason, at least that's what I'm hoping and that's where I'm at right now.

I'm hoping to keep Meszaros and Coburn for a few more years while my other defenseman develop and then trade them for a need once those other guys are ready for the NHL. So I'm thinking in a few years my defense will look like this.

Not quite sure on exact pairings but

John Moore - Adam Larsson
Josh Morrissey - Nick Leddy
Rasmus Ristolainen - Luke Schenn

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I posted this on EA's forum just now. This is my experience with GM Mode. I usually play it hardcore. Now? I can't even consider playing it... :facepalm:

Not to be a dick, but it appears as though most of your frustrations are coming from the fact that you've screwed up as a manager, rather than anything that EA has done for you.

1st - If you are not getting any offers, adjust your trade block.

2nd - If the CPU keeps sending you the same trade, adjust your trade block. Chances are there's something on your block encouraging them to send that trade.

3rd - The CPU has been offering ludicrous trades since 2010 or whatever year the game mode was implemented into the series. You aren't over it by now..?

4th - Draft picks are moved several times over the course of the regular season trades. To say they only move on draft day is ludicrous. Is it a deep draft coming up? Why not try and stock up on late round picks. Is it a shallow draft? Why not start throwing later round picks into deals to add as kickers?

5th - I KIND OF SMILED at your issue with Rundblad getting claimed. FINALLY YOU and others can comprehensively understand that 2-way vs 1-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver eligibility; that means was entered into NHL 12 as a simplified way of handing waivers and movement between rosters, but the truth is that it's wrong. 2-way contracts have NOTHING to do with waivers. That's why there's a seperate heading/column that says.... wait for it.... waivers..... should have looked there to see if your player was eligible before moving him. But hey, we all forget sometimes, no problem...

5th - ...but, every time you move someone between rosters who needs to claim waivers, the game sends you a WARNING THAT THE PLAYER MIGHT BE CLAIMED. Missing two obvious cues on the same player? Not EA's fault mate, that's on you.

6th - On the issue of contracts; I can partially see your frustration. But to be honest I have no problems with how they've setup their contract structure. At the end of the day, it's a game, not a simulator. I want a game, which is simple to play, and many aspects of Be a GM have gone for a simple approach rather than an overly complicated one, which is preferred. If you manage your cap tightly, it's not hard at all to make trades and get things done. Even under this revamped trading system.

7th - If you are at the maximum cap for your team, and the game is warning you that you are at the cap ceiling and that you need to make a move....MAKE A ****ING MOVE! Or let the CPU make the move for you - just don't moan when the CPU moves someone with $ down to your minor team. Chances are, moving the ELCs between rosters probably wouldn't have been enough for you to get under the cap, and as a result, needed to move more money. Yet again, that's not on EA, but on you - poor cap management. If you had a bunch of waiver-eligible players capable of being moved down to your farm team at no penalty in order to accommodate the trade you just made, why not just go ahead and do it?

8th - There are problems with Be a GM. No doubt. But there's no reason for them to remove it. There are countless numbers of people who enjoy the game mode, as evidenced by the numerous yearly threads here dedicated to the game mode. If it's not for you, that's fine - it's a challenging game mode that clearly not everyone can master without a bit of savvy and understanding of how it works. That's OK though, NHL 13 is a deep and invested game, and I'm sure there's another game type that you can find. There's no reason for you to sit here however, and start blaming EA for the fact that you simply aren't good at the game mode...

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
In my experimental BaGM, I've found that a lot of trades go down where one team trades 2 1sts. Hardly ever see that IRL. Contracts haven't been an issue for me yet; in fact I've been able to retain everyone I wanted to keep while adding significant pieces in free agency. I think a lot of the grousing over contracts is due to players adjusting to the new overall scale, which affects contract values.

I'm only a few years into my Be a GM, and I agree - I've not really had all that many problems with managing the cap and player contracts.

There have been one or two silly contracts here and there, but I've been relatively successful in negotiating them into something reasonable, or moving things around in order to accommodate big money.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not to be a dick, but it appears as though most of your frustrations are coming from the fact that you've screwed up as a manager, rather than anything that EA has done for you.

Really? I'm listening...

1st - If you are not getting any offers, adjust your trade block.

Okay? Wasn't looking to make trades; but okay.

2nd - If the CPU keeps sending you the same trade, adjust your trade block. Chances are there's something on your block encouraging them to send that trade.

Why should I? The game can't take the hint that I have no interest? That's sad. They take quick notice if I keep offering the same thing. In fact, they even reply with something like "didn't we already reject this offer?"

3rd - The CPU has been offering ludicrous trades since 2010 or whatever year the game mode was implemented into the series. You aren't over it by now..?

I just watched Paul Martin get traded for two 1sts and a good prospect, at the deadline; last year of his deal. This year is putrid.

4th - Draft picks are moved several times over the course of the regular season trades. To say they only move on draft day is ludicrous. Is it a deep draft coming up? Why not try and stock up on late round picks. Is it a shallow draft? Why not start throwing later round picks into deals to add as kickers?

Why would I want to move back, now? Picks for picks are done at the deadline, not the beginning of the year.

5th - I KIND OF SMILED at your issue with Rundblad getting claimed. FINALLY YOU and others can comprehensively understand that 2-way vs 1-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver eligibility; that means was entered into NHL 12 as a simplified way of handing waivers and movement between rosters, but the truth is that it's wrong. 2-way contracts have NOTHING to do with waivers. That's why there's a seperate heading/column that says.... wait for it.... waivers..... should have looked there to see if your player was eligible before moving him. But hey, we all forget sometimes, no problem...

You shouldn't have. The example I left was poor, but it doesn't change what I said. Rundblad was actually AN EXCEPTION to the waiver wire rule. It's easier, however, to just let two-way and one-way be easy for casual fans to learn. That's how they did it in the past, actually. I assumed they left it as such. But like I said, Rundblad was a rightful exception...

5th - ...but, every time you move someone between rosters who needs to claim waivers, the game sends you a WARNING THAT THE PLAYER MIGHT BE CLAIMED. Missing two obvious cues on the same player? Not EA's fault mate, that's on you.

I ignored it; he shouldn't have been allowed to be claimed. But anywho -

6th - On the issue of contracts; I can partially see your frustration. But to be honest I have no problems with how they've setup their contract structure. At the end of the day, it's a game, not a simulator. I want a game, which is simple to play, and many aspects of Be a GM have gone for a simple approach rather than an overly complicated one, which is preferred. If you manage your cap tightly, it's not hard at all to make trades and get things done. Even under this revamped trading system.

Nothing to say here, really.

7th - If you are at the maximum cap for your team, and the game is warning you that you are at the cap ceiling and that you need to make a move....MAKE A ****ING MOVE! Or let the CPU make the move for you - just don't moan when the CPU moves someone with $ down to your minor team. Chances are, moving the ELCs between rosters probably wouldn't have been enough for you to get under the cap, and as a result, needed to move more money. Yet again, that's not on EA, but on you - poor cap management. If you had a bunch of waiver-eligible players capable of being moved down to your farm team at no penalty in order to accommodate the trade you just made, why not just go ahead and do it?

Is it possible that I couldn't? Even then, the option was turn off the cap, or let them decide. If they were to decide, why would they choose a young player with lots of room to develop for two years, instead of the old veteran I had making over 4 million? How stupid can it be that it wouldn't choose the person making more money? It was common sense on (their) part, really. I had things set up to be dominant now and to continue to be. I pushed the cap, but I also had the ability to do so. If I had the choice, you think I wouldn't send down the overpay veteran? At least give me the option...

8th - There are problems with Be a GM. No doubt. But there's no reason for them to remove it. There are countless numbers of people who enjoy the game mode, as evidenced by the numerous yearly threads here dedicated to the game mode. If it's not for you, that's fine - it's a challenging game mode that clearly not everyone can master without a bit of savvy and understanding of how it works. That's OK though, NHL 13 is a deep and invested game, and I'm sure there's another game type that you can find. There's no reason for you to sit here however, and start blaming EA for the fact that you simply aren't good at the game mode...

The last part is kind of laughable. You can tell by someone's point of failures that they aren't "good" at the mode? :help:

Would it change your mind if I told you that with my draft plan, that I actually won the cup in the second season? Because I did.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Two trades so far in my Pittsburgh GM:

:pens

Chris Kreider

:rangers

Dustin Jeffrey
Dylan Reese
2013 2nd Round Pick
AHL Scrub

:pens

Ryan Clowe
2013 1st Round Pick

:sharks

Tomas Vokoun

Trying to get a top two defenseman now.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
My thoughts exactly on Vokoun.

The Rangers really are open to getting rid of Chris Kreider which is kind of interesting.

Dougie Hamilton is also on the block in Boston pretty much all the time, and might be a guy that you could get if you are still looking for D-help. He needs time, but he's a 4.5-green .

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I do not see a correlation between record and team strength.

My Preds won ~ 50 games a year during my 3 year rebuild, then, when I go to championship mode and sign players like Corey Perry, I win the same amount of games as i did during my rebuild.

Also player development is messed up. Yakupov finally broke into the 80's at 26 years old. Hes a 3rd line scorer.

EA....I have something to tell you - Yakupov was the first overall pick last year. If he takes 8 years to make the NHL then he would be the biggest bust in the history of any sport. I dont see that happening. Jaden Schwartz also doesnt make the NHL for about 7 years as well.

Meanwhile Shinkaruk is an 87 in his secod year, and Mackinnon is a 76 and he went first overall

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
My thoughts exactly on Vokoun.

The Rangers really are open to getting rid of Chris Kreider which is kind of interesting.

Dougie Hamilton is also on the block in Boston pretty much all the time, and might be a guy that you could get if you are still looking for D-help. He needs time, but he's a 4.5-green .

A lot of the top prospects are available for trade. Kreider was on my block when I started as the Rangers. Galchenyuk for Montreal. Schwartz for St. Louis. Murray for the Jackets.

Montreal offered me Galchenyuk for a combination of crap. Took everything I had to reject it, lol.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
A lot of the specific player overall/potential details don't generally get adjusted until much later, but they do get adjusted.

In the meantime, just change them yourself. I changed Yakupov and a few others before I started.

As for the inconsistent player development, I wonder whether that's actually something that they are aiming for with their new potentiall accuracy feature - it appears as though they are looking for a bit of variety in the way players develop; basically, it's not a sure thing that players will grow the same way across the board.

I'm totally OK with that.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Save game to hard disk

Turn injuries off

Select best lines

Don't send your scout on assignment

Will get you down to somewhere between 5-7 minutes.

What exactly do you mean save game to hard disk?

And 5-7 minutes for the whole season??

Thanks for your help!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
A lot of the top prospects are available for trade. Kreider was on my block when I started as the Rangers. Galchenyuk for Montreal. Schwartz for St. Louis. Murray for the Jackets.

Montreal offered me Galchenyuk for a combination of crap. Took everything I had to reject it, lol.

Yeah I've noticed that as well.

I got Duncan Siemans out of Colorado for Cam Barker and a 2nd round pick (they wanted Barker, and the 2nd, as they were both green, but combined they didn't add up to the trade value of Siemans. I just pulled the trigger on the trade and it went through).

I think a lot of that stuff will be patched/taken care of in the coming few patches. As frustrating as it is, I do think it's something that they will look into. I can only imagine how difficult it is to perfect a system that is clearly now more than ever, based on team wants vs team needs.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What exactly do you mean save game to hard disk?

And 5-7 minutes for the whole season??

Thanks for your help!

If you are playing on the XBOX:

1 - At the dashboard, highlight NHL 13 and then click Y to bring up the background menus.

2 - Somewhere there it will ask you whether you want to INSTALL THE GAME. Do it - it will take all the data on the disk and store it to your Xbox storage.

3 - When it's done you should have noticeably improved speeds in-game. Your xbox is now reading the game from memory, not from the disk.

4 - This will also help in your simulating. Yes, 5-7 minutes. In fact, I'll time a simulation season right after this is done.

IF YOU ARE PLAYING ON THE PLAYSTATION 3

1 - Unplug the power cord from your playstation 3.

2 - Unhook the HDMI-cables or component cables from your PS3, depending on what you use.

3 - Take your Playstation 3 to the highest elevated room in your house (bedroom, attic, etc).

4 - Open the window of that particular room.

5 - Throw your PS3 out the window

6 - Go buy an Xbox.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
If you are playing on the XBOX:

1 - At the dashboard, highlight NHL 13 and then click Y to bring up the background menus.

2 - Somewhere there it will ask you whether you want to INSTALL THE GAME. Do it - it will take all the data on the disk and store it to your Xbox storage.

3 - When it's done you should have noticeably improved speeds in-game. Your xbox is now reading the game from memory, not from the disk.

4 - This will also help in your simulating. Yes, 5-7 minutes. In fact, I'll time a simulation season right after this is done.

IF YOU ARE PLAYING ON THE PLAYSTATION 3

1 - Unplug the power cord from your playstation 3.

2 - Unhook the HDMI-cables or component cables from your PS3, depending on what you use.

3 - Take your Playstation 3 to the highest elevated room in your house (bedroom, attic, etc).

4 - Open the window of that particular room.

5 - Throw your PS3 out the window

6 - Go buy an Xbox.

So theres basically no way to make it sim faster? Lol. I in fact have a PS3.

I feel like theres definitely a way to download it onto the PS3 Hard drive. Maybe not tho?

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Am i the only person actually experiencing a very realistic gm mode? Simming is quite realistic, with crosby/malkin hitting 100+ points each season with giroux not far behind, as oilers, Hall, Yak, Ebs all getting around 70 points, and RNH at 90 (after a couple seasons). Trade offers seem pretty normal (except a couple times i was offered straight up my first round pick for somebody else's second round pick). Goalies simulate realistic numbers, with top being just above .930 and 5-10 being above .920, the rest hovering below that.

I did edit the ratings of a few top stars (malkin, ovy, datsyuk, etc) and prospects (yak, added schultz, etc), but other than some minor overall changes, I havent touched too much and it's feeling very realistic.

Edit: Contracts haven't been outlandish either, when you consider it as cap% rather than numbers, which is how you should look at it. Also, people need to utilize all their days of re-signing players, play like a real gm and lowball to get the best possible deal, of course they ask for ridiculous amounts, so do real nhlers, you'd be dumb to actually sign them at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad