NHL 12 Be A Pro Thread

Jimmy Villa

Feb 11, 2010
Bristol
GUYS, PLEASE HELP!!!

I usually play BAGM mode, first year of trying BAP mode.

Really like it, I'm enjoying where it is going, but DANG those period lengths are long and won't let me change them?!?

Is there a way to reduce the period length time in NHL12 BAP Mode?

I want to play a CAREER, but at this rate It'll take me 2 months just to do a season!!!!

Oh, and I would personally prefer to avoid simming games, so really looking for help with period length.

Thanks guys :)

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I decided to go for a stint in the All-Star mode and... Jesus Christ. Your team's scoring simply goes from reasonable to absolutely nothing. As a TWD defenseman, I have to make some crazy ass plays just so the other players can have a shot at scoring. I've lost count of how many times I set up perfect behind-the-net or cross-crease passes, just for my teammates to miraculously (or not) shoot right on the goalie or above the crossbar.

Your team also becomes a huge source of turnovers, even when I'm not calling for passes or anything. Played through three games in the difficulty and not a single goal was scored for my team with me sitting on the bench. It's like the difficulty leap goes from quite easy to "your team is now a one-man show".

I guess I will try out Barbara's slides when I get home.

out of curiosity are you playing chl or NHL? I recently upped difficulty to all-star after my team (medicine hat) was 5-0-0 on pro and had won the 5th game 11-0, after losing 3 of the first 4 on all-star (1-2, 0-3, 4-2 and 1-5) my team has won 4 straight and not having anything like the turnover problems you seem to be facing. That's why I am curious if it's NHL related or you are just getting unlucky chl wise. I am also playing as a twd man so I guess it ain't that.

Jypee

Dec 8, 2005
Starting a new one as a RW for Rouyn-Noranda, Superstar level.

I was a D for Victo on PRO... had 3 goals and 7 assists in 2 games and a period... so...

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
GUYS, PLEASE HELP!!!

I usually play BAGM mode, first year of trying BAP mode.

Really like it, I'm enjoying where it is going, but DANG those period lengths are long and won't let me change them?!?

Is there a way to reduce the period length time in NHL12 BAP Mode?

I want to play a CAREER, but at this rate It'll take me 2 months just to do a season!!!!

Oh, and I would personally prefer to avoid simming games, so really looking for help with period length.

Thanks guys :)

Have you actually played a game yet? As far as I know, you can't change the period length because it's irrelevant. You can sim to your next shift in the game.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
out of curiosity are you playing chl or NHL? I recently upped difficulty to all-star after my team (medicine hat) was 5-0-0 on pro and had won the 5th game 11-0, after losing 3 of the first 4 on all-star (1-2, 0-3, 4-2 and 1-5) my team has won 4 straight and not having anything like the turnover problems you seem to be facing. That's why I am curious if it's NHL related or you are just getting unlucky chl wise. I am also playing as a twd man so I guess it ain't that.

That was in the CHL. It could've been bad luck, but three straight games with no goals... yuck.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Have you actually played a game yet? As far as I know, you can't change the period length because it's irrelevant. You can sim to your next shift in the game.

They can get a little lengthy that way too I play about 20 minutes a game. But the only way to change the period lengths is if you don't choose "authentic" for be a pro style or whatever it is when you first start. I like sim to shift the extra 5 minutes to play the game is worth it IMO.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
What happens after you get drafted? Do you go straight to the NHL if you're good enough or do you have to play in the CHL until you are too old?
I have something like 62 goals and 118 points in 62 games, so I think I it's time for me to go the NHL :P
Or I could just change the difficulty, but I really enjoy the domination. Yakupov is even worse though, he has something like 85 assists and 130 points.

Jimmy Villa

Feb 11, 2010
Bristol

Of course I have, but logic dictates that if you could change the period length to 10 minutes for example, then the game would take approximately HALF the time to complete wouldn't it? Regardless of if you were simming until your next shift or actually playing?

Now having considering that, if it takes HALF the time to complete a game, then you could surely play 2 games with 10 minute periods in the amount of time it would take you to complete 1 game with 20 minute periods, couldn't you?

And then a season would take HALF as long to complete in theory, wouldn't you say?

and so on...........

Who is this guy? :huh:

GOB Bluth

Feb 19, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Of course I have, but logic dictates that if you could change the period length to 10 minutes for example, then the game would take approximately HALF the time to complete wouldn't it? Regardless of if you were simming until your next shift or actually playing?

Now having considering that, if it takes HALF the time to complete a game, then you could surely play 2 games with 10 minute periods in the amount of time it would take you to complete 1 game with 20 minute periods, couldn't you?

And then a season would take HALF as long to complete in theory, wouldn't you say?

and so on...........

Who is this guy? :huh:
be a pro is supposed to be in real time with the simming so that you have realistic stats for the rest of your teammates. that's why the periods are 20 minutes long. i'm not sure you can have simming if you change the period lengths because then it just defeats the purpose

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
be a pro is supposed to be in real time with the simming so that you have realistic stats for the rest of your teammates. that's why the periods are 20 minutes long. i'm not sure you can have simming if you change the period lengths because then it just defeats the purpose

Exactly.

You cannot change the period lengths on "authentic" the only way you can is by selecting one of the other options. Which I believe are No Line Changes and Position Lock or whatever it is where you play all the guys in your pros position. I also highly doubt that tasks are available to you in either of those modes. But don't quote me on that.

Like I said earlier playing an extra 5-10 minutes per game is worth it IMO since the experience as a whole is more fun. You can always sim the first two periods and play just the 3rd and be done faster than playing three 5 minute periods.

Last edited:

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華
In BAP, sometimes when there's a loose puck going around the slot/crease area I try to use my guy to collect it, but he simply misses it even if he stick gets to the puck, then an opposing attacker gets hold of it and scores. Does my chance of retrieving a loose puck depends on my defensive awareness?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
In BAP, sometimes when there's a loose puck going around the slot/crease area I try to use my guy to collect it, but he simply misses it even if he stick gets to the puck, then an opposing attacker gets hold of it and scores. Does my chance of retrieving a loose puck depends on my defensive awareness?

Try holding L2 it makes intercepting passes easier not sure about loose pucks but I think it helps and it's worth a shot.

Not 100% sure what all defensive awareness does but that may be part of it. I know offensive awareness helps you get rebounds and supposedly helps you score as well by improving your "nose for the net".

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Try holding L2 it makes intercepting passes easier not sure about loose pucks but I think it helps and it's worth a shot.

Not 100% sure what all defensive awareness does but that may be part of it. I know offensive awareness helps you get rebounds and supposedly helps you score as well by improving your "nose for the net".

I see, I'll give that a shot then.

Also, what's up with players taking out/chopping off your stick and the refs call no penalty? I was with the puck in the defensive zone, forechecker chops off my stick and scores. Really?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I see, I'll give that a shot then.

Also, what's up with players taking out/chopping off your stick and the refs call no penalty? I was with the puck in the defensive zone, forechecker chops off my stick and scores. Really?

Idk... What settings do you play on? What are the sliders for CPU and CPU teammate penalties set at? What is the slider for Penalties set at in the rules section?

I have a lot of variation in penalties called during my games, I have had my stick chopped in half like you described and they called it. Goalies will play the puck outside the trapezoid and get called, also had one shoot it over the glass and get called. Interference, hitting from behind, hooking, and slashing are pretty common. Goalie interference happens but not very often, I've had roughing called on myself multiple times as well lol.

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Idk... What settings do you play on? What are the sliders for CPU and CPU teammate penalties set at? What is the slider for Penalties set at in the rules section?

I have a lot of variation in penalties called during my games, I have had my stick chopped in half like you described and they called it. Goalies will play the puck outside the trapezoid and get called, also had one shoot it over the glass and get called. Interference, hitting from behind, hooking, and slashing are pretty common. Goalie interference happens but not very often, I've had roughing called on myself multiple times as well lol.

I'm using your sliders on Pro, except with passing made a bit easier.

I tried playing on All-Star, but I really suck with the stick atm. :<

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I'm using your sliders on Pro, except with passing made a bit easier.

I tried playing on All-Star, but I really suck with the stick atm. :<

Ahh, never tested them on pro so it's hard to say why they aren't calling those. Not exactly sure what changes as you change difficulty levels in regards to refs. My only suggestion is bumping up the penalties slider in the Rules section.

thisisleafland

Sep 22, 2011
Got drafted by the New York Rangers in the 4th round. 191 points in 136 games, with 107 goals. Still went in 4th round. I did also lead my team in PIMS at the end of second season (and goals and points for OHL). Playing with Barb's sliders and enjoying the game a lot more now. Will have to prove myself in the NHL or I'm going back to London for another year.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Anyone unlock anyone past Chris Chelios in NHL 12? I seem to have gotten past some of the required progression levels with both my Offline "Be-A-Pro" and "Be-A-Legend" yet I haven't unlocked anyone else save for Chelios. What am I doing wrong?

sdude5

Jun 16, 2011
Anyone unlock anyone past Chris Chelios in NHL 12? I seem to have gotten past some of the required progression levels with both my Offline "Be-A-Pro" and "Be-A-Legend" yet I haven't unlocked anyone else save for Chelios. What am I doing wrong?

yea me too my be a pro says im at veteran level but the preformance tracker in be a pro menu says im only at a amatuer level

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I was at 2.29ppg on pro and now with the sliders adjusted on all star I am at like 1.20ppg. Kinda struggling lately to score and also can't imagine Superstar as the CPU teams AI uses hax lol.

I think my problem is that the AI is garbage. My team never sets up in the zone, takes dumb shots from way out, and when they dump the puck in, they never get it back. Plus, the CPU opponent always has a 98+ passing completion percentage. They never have to chip the puck out to clear the zone... they just make these crazy, impossible backwards and lateral passes, so it's very difficult to set up a forecheck.

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Ahh, never tested them on pro so it's hard to say why they aren't calling those. Not exactly sure what changes as you change difficulty levels in regards to refs. My only suggestion is bumping up the penalties slider in the Rules section.

Yeah I just cranked up the sliders for now.

Games have been generally close with your sliders, so I appreciate you sharing them with us.

...Although I just fully simmed a game between my team (Vancouver Giants) and the Prince George Cougars, and they obliterated us 10-1. Go figure.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Hey guys, just a heads up if you're using my sliders or any custom sliders for that matter try setting the tuner back to V 1.00. I changed it a few games ago because my games had started to be low scoring, I started seeing some of the AI issues you guys have mentioned too.

Last couple games have been a little higher scoring, with my CPU team mates picking up the slack again.

Another minor change I am testing is goalie screen effect 3/4 and reaction speed 4/3.

I'm going to start a new BAP and test these out on a clean slate. I'll keep you posted if I find any good settings that fix some of these issues.

I think my problem is that the AI is garbage. My team never sets up in the zone, takes dumb shots from way out, and when they dump the puck in, they never get it back. Plus, the CPU opponent always has a 98+ passing completion percentage. They never have to chip the puck out to clear the zone... they just make these crazy, impossible backwards and lateral passes, so it's very difficult to set up a forecheck.

You're on All-Star or Pro? Which league?

I played with my sliders in the NHL one or two games and pass completion was like 75% for both teams. In the CHL it's around 65%. I know what you mean about forechecking lol for me it's probably about 7/10 times my team dumps it in they'll pressure but not get it back or if they do we don't get a play set up, but I've also seen them pounce on the opponent and hem them in. I am actually impressed by that because I never saw it In NHL 11.

Another thing I think might be the issue is how talented is your team? Chicoutimi seems pretty weak and I notice those weaknesses getting exposed by the better teams. We're pretty much a bottom dweller right now but I'm hoping to string some wins together and see what happens.

When I was using pro difficulty and going on a rampage every game it seemed like we were better as a team. That continued for awhile after implementing my slider changes, but we got flat beat a few games in a row and haven't been able to turn it around.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad