OT: NFL: Welcome to Teddys Playhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
What is going to tick me off if he goes to LV and has a decent career. I don’t think that Gruden would sign him if he had nothing in the tank.

Nelly has shown the ability to be a great slot guy. I would be thrilled if the roles were changed and the Eagles picked him up from the Raiders. But at some point you have to cut ties with home grown players who have consistently issues.

damm did I just explain ghost lol

Reactions: renberg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Agholor had been garbage for every season but one since he’s been here (2017). Like in towards the bottom in the league by most measures (PFF, Football Outsiders, etc.)

He can’t catch for shit nor is he good at tracking balls in the air. He’s a good athlete though not that really means much when he can’t really apply it as a pass catcher.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Howie can’t help but draft lineman.

You don't take a center high unless he's an elite prospect, guards only if they have a top combination of size and athleticism.
Otherwise you can find mediocre interior OL later in the draft or the waiver wire.
Kelce 6th rd, Brooks 4th rd.

Pryor (25) held his own when asked to play, and they like Opeta and Herbig.
The athletic test I always focus most with interior linemen are the "jumps," because leg explosion is so important, if you're gonna have them pull downfield the 10 yard split (the 40 only has value as an indicator of conditioning).

With all the talk about Dillard replacing Peters, Mailata has become the forgotten man, but he was healthy the second half, and if the back is no longer an issue, look for him to push for the LT job this season.
It wouldn't shock me when Kelce leaves, Seumalo moves to C and Dillard to LG.

Reactions: renberg

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
What does everybody make of the Ngakoue talk? I'm not so much talking about the player himself but what he keeps posting on social media? Do you think he's just trolling everybody or what?

After posting the Eagle emoji, and Reggie White photo, he posts the Trent Cole & Meek Mill photos... I've never really seen anyhting like this occur:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What does everybody make of the Ngakoue talk? I'm not so much talking about the player himself but what he keeps posting on social media? Do you think he's just trolling everybody or what?

After posting the Eagle emoji, and Reggie White photo, he posts the Trent Cole & Meek Mill photos... I've never really seen anyhting like this occur:

Problem is he's just not a priority, I think Schwartz has adjusted his wide 9 concept, physical DEs who can control the edge (take away the sweep and QB scrambles) and talented one gap DTs who can collapse the pocket and tackle the RB on the way to the QB. In that case, Ngakoue is an expensive luxury - he's a great pass rusher but run defense is an after thought for him.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You don't take a center high unless he's an elite prospect, guards only if they have a top combination of size and athleticism.
Otherwise you can find mediocre interior OL later in the draft or the waiver wire.
Kelce 6th rd, Brooks 4th rd.

I think Centers have measurably more importance than your average Guard, especially as more Snaps every year are shifted to the Shotgun and the distance traveled to get to blocks for Centers skyrockets.

I had a really neat conversation with one of PFF's resident math nerds a while back about the difficulty in valuing different OL positions. One of the key issues that they had yet to solve at that point was why Left Guards seemed less valuable than Right Guards using their in-house data. Was it because Left Tackles are more talented on a leaguewide scale? Was it a typecasting thing where RGs were stereotypical road graders?

More to your point about drafting interior OL later, it seems to be the case that it's less important to have stars along the line than to not have positions that cave you in schematically. Obviously both is ideal, but it does make sense to me that your worst blocking on a particular play is more likely to be the deterministic factor than the best. If that's the case, do you push all OL down the board a little bit? Or is the talent pool simply so poor that you have to get even the solid prospects before they're gone?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Centers have measurably more importance than your average Guard, especially as more Snaps every year are shifted to the Shotgun and the distance traveled to get to blocks for Centers skyrockets.

I had a really neat conversation with one of PFF's resident math nerds a while back about the difficulty in valuing different OL positions. One of the key issues that they had yet to solve at that point was why Left Guards seemed less valuable than Right Guards using their in-house data. Was it because Left Tackles are more talented on a leaguewide scale? Was it a typecasting thing where RGs were stereotypical road graders?

More to your point about drafting interior OL later, it seems to be the case that it's less important to have stars along the line than to not have positions that cave you in schematically. Obviously both is ideal, but it does make sense to me that your worst blocking on a particular play is more likely to be the deterministic factor than the best. If that's the case, do you push all OL down the board a little bit? Or is the talent pool simply so poor that you have to get even the solid prospects before they're gone?

I think it's scheme and coaching.
Mudd used to do wonders with undersized interior linemen
Stoutland seems to do well with big interior linemen with a good first step but slow feet, he's made Kelce work (which shows he's flexible), but watching him turn Pryor into a passable guard, etc. has impressed me.

Of course, Stoutland's job was made easier with Peters, Kelce and Lane, but Brooks was a great athlete but only a good player until Stoutland turned him into an elite guard.

I think you can coach around athletic flaws in the interior (though they have to be quicker with the movement toward more athletic DTs), but OTs tend to be on an island, if you have to give them help it really hurts the offense (either takes a TE or RB out of the flow).

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We can’t go into the season with Jeffrey, Jackson, JJ, Ward and insert rookie here correct? We need to address this via free agency and draft I would think. Jeffrey more than likely will be PUP.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
We can’t go into the season with Jeffrey, Jackson, JJ, Ward and insert rookie here correct? We need to address this via free agency and draft I would think. Jeffrey more than likely will be PUP.
I would hope not. I like Ward as a 3/4 type guy. I think JJ is better than we saw last year. Jackson I like but is just too unreliable with injuries. I would love to see them sign a speedster or draft a speedster. I would be comfortable going with something like JJ and a veteran speedster on the outside (Anderson?), Ward in the slot, and take a WR in the second or third round to plug in to that #4 spot (maybe a big body guy?).

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
if howie doesnt address the wr in fa, he's really over his head because he didnt watch the playoffs and at some point if the eagles dont make the playoffs, howie has to be looked at.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Jeffery could still be flat out cut too.

Anderson has off the field baggage that might concern them, doubly so given the Jeffery disaster. Perriman has historically not been a favorite of coaching staffs for football reasons. Unless either wants to sign prove it deals because their markets don't develop at all, you would have to think they would have already paid either had they wanted to do so. They have major cap issues coming up, so they'll have to be careful not to bork themselves.

They're probably done with major signings. They'll almost assuredly draft one or two and maybe you get a minor one like Demarcus Robinson. As to specific rounds, you determine that when you're on the clock, not in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Jeffery could still be flat out cut too.

Anderson has off the field baggage that might concern them, doubly so given the Jeffery disaster. Perriman has historically not been a favorite of coaching staffs for football reasons. Unless either wants to sign prove it deals because their markets don't develop at all, you would have to think they would have already paid either had they wanted to do so. They have major cap issues coming up, so they'll have to be careful not to bork themselves.

They're probably done with major signings. They'll almost assuredly draft one or two and maybe you get a minor one like Demarcus Robinson. As to specific rounds, you determine that when you're on the clock, not in advance.

I could see a Devin Funchess-type signing happening. I imagine Howie is looking for cheap vets right now who missed out on big contracts.

You're dead-on about the draft I think...Either go into a draft going to get your 1 guy, or you wait and see what falls to you. We're in a spot where I think we need to see what BPA looks like each round and (thankfully) the position we need most is of most abundance.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We probably would have beat Seattle if Wentz isn't knocked out, and that was with Ward and two literal scrubs at WR.

When you have Sanders, Ertz and Goedert, you don't need superstar WRs. Those are three matchup nightmares.
Jeffrey is here for one more season b/c of the cap hit, extending him might be the worst mistake Howie has made in a long time.
DeSean has always been injury prone, but rarely major injuries, so he should be solid as the #2 and a decoy.
We'll see if Jaws can step up in his second season.
I expect Howie to sign a WR off the discard pile and draft a couple.

But Howie is right in his approach, you can take out a top WR by shading a safety over the top, but it's extremely hard to shut down top TEs without distorting your defense, even when you do so, you often open up the run game by pulling a safety out of the box. With two top receiving TEs and a RB who's a mismatch against almost any LB and many safeties, you just need WRs to win battles against second rate CBs (since you only have to get one open consistently).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad