OT: NFL: Welcome to Teddys Playhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What can I say, I found out that West Nile fever causes brain damage and memory loss, so I have a great excuse.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One clear conclusion from Malcolm Jenkins' Saints contract

Why sportswriters are a waste of time.

Jenkins is 33, and got $16.5M guaranteed.
Now do you really think he's going to play four more seasons?
Have to see the details, but my suspicion is his deal will pay him over $20M the first two years with the expectation he'll be cut or retire after that point.
So his "real" salary is more like $11-12M a year. With the 2 extra years to reduce the cap hit.

Rather than a low ball, what this contract smells like to me is the Saints back loading dead money to mount a "last hurrah" before Brees retires. He just signed a 2 year deal at 41 years old.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
so no official Brady to Tampa yet correct? i won't get excited til i hear the words..Gronk is training to get in shape lol

Reactions: Jtown

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You’ll love it.

Why trade what I'm guessing will be a solid pick AND pay UFA rate for Slay who wasn't good or healthy last year when you could have just upped your offer to Jones, who's also a year and a half younger?

In order for this to make sense, I need to see value on the contract and I don't even know what kind of pick. A 3 and a 6 for Slay and a 7 or something is probably best case scenario? But it could easily cost 53.

Reactions: Philly Phish

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Not sure I like Slay for a 3rd. And hell no for a 2nd. Detroit has to trade him, we should be getting him cheap or not at all. I'd rather bank the cap space and just draft a CB with our 1st. Slay wasn't a top corner last year and he turns 30 in season and he wants to be paid like a top CB. You don't give up day 2 picks for players like that.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Why trade what I'm guessing will be a solid pick AND pay UFA rate for Slay who wasn't good or healthy last year when you could have just upped your offer to Jones, who's also a year and a half younger?

In order for this to make sense, I need to see value on the contract and I don't even know what kind of pick. A 3 and a 6 for Slay and a 7 or something is probably best case scenario? But it could easily cost 53.
Why must you say these things.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
And if it does cost 53, YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN NUK FOR NOT MUCH MORE.

Slay could bounce back and it could all work out, but I see so many people just assuming he will. And I don't exactly trust their medical staff.

My biggest issue is that...why even trade for Slay if you aren't keeping Malcolm?

To be fair, we don't know the whole picture of what Howie's trying to do -- but it's starting to feel like he's trying to move-on from older players at the cost of being competitive. Now Mills could do much better at safety than we realize, but as of now it's a disjointed-SEEMING strategy with acquisitions.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

@Hollywood Couturier Fire Howie. I'm done unless something magically flips during the draft.

My biggest issue is that...why even trade for Slay if you aren't keeping Malcolm?

To be fair, we don't know the whole picture of what Howie's trying to do -- but it's starting to feel like he's trying to move-on from older players at the cost of being competitive. Now Mills could do much better at safety than we realize, but as of now it's a disjointed-SEEMING strategy with acquisitions.

Mills could also sprout wings. It's fine if they want to bring him back, but you cannot tell me you expect to compete and your Safeties are a 30 year old Rodney McLeod and Jalen Mills, especially after being beaten over the head with the idea that they don't understand how important a 3rd Safety is now.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

@Hollywood Couturier Fire Howie. I'm done unless something magically flips during the draft.

Mills could also sprout wings. It's fine if they want to bring him back, but you cannot tell me you expect to compete and your Safeties are a 30 year old Rodney McLeod and Jalen Mills, especially after being beaten over the head with the idea that they don't understand how important a 3rd Safety is now.

giphy.gif

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Is there a chance that he rebounds due to being hurt last year? Or is slay just not a good fit for Schwartz scheme?

Also makes me believe they will trade back in the first round and recoup those picks. In some manner

Reactions: BigToe

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Is there a chance that he rebounds due to being hurt last year? Or is slay just not a good fit for Schwartz scheme?

Yeah, for sure. He was consistently very good, but never really great. Do you trust the medical staff to know he's healed enough to both trade and pay for him?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

I'm attempting to give benefit of the doubt, but to be clear: I do NOT expect to compete with this secondary right now. McLeod is alright, but that was with Malcolm back there. I don't understand this, especially giving up the picks to get Slay and THEN give him a deal that will likely be 13-14 million a year.

I think I would've rather paid Byron Jones in this scenario (but supposedly Howie offered Jones a lot of $, Miami's tax free status tipped the scale)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
3 years 50M with 30M guaranteed.

Can someone who is much more knowledgeable on the NFL Cap and how it works break that down for me? Imagine I'm Michael Scott asking how a budget surplus works :laugh:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Don’t know the breakdown but it seems like that is an easy two year deal with three year structure. I wonder what the signing bonus is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad