NFL: NFL requiring all teams to have a minority on the offensive staff

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i don't know, forced and contrived measures like this don't seem good or a healthy way to operate to me but the league apparently feels a big enough problem exists.

and it's not a matter of someone being 'unqualified' it's a matter of being able to hire who you feel is 'most qualified' person in a particular role regardless of race/gender. not like it's a head coach so it wont make or break teams or anything, so whatever i guess....

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The answer could lead us on a slippery slope but... systemic racism. Not saying that people in the NFL are ACTIVELY racist, however, the system does not produce a lot of minority coaches when the majority of the players are Black. A lot of former players go into coaching and, yet, Black coaches have trouble getting good jobs. Is it because they ALL suck? No. There are systemic inequalities and those rules are designed to break those systemic inequalities.

Are they well-crafted? Not always. Do they work? Not always. Should there be incentives to have better representation? Yes.

So your thought is racism, and not the fact that they might have found someone better qualified? Look at Wayne Gretzky, one of the greatest if not the greatest hockey player ever, HORRIBLE coach. Same could be said for the multiple people that go through and play in the NFL, who says they are fit to be a good coach? There's more to being a coach than just knowledge of the position, etc.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
i don't know, forced and contrived measures like this don't seem good or a healthy way to operate to me but the league apparently feels a big enough problem exists.

and it's not a matter of someone being 'unqualified' it's a matter of being able to hire who you feel is 'most qualified' person in a particular role regardless of race/gender. not like it's a head coach so it wont make or break teams or anything, so whatever i guess....
Honestly, I don't really think the league gives the slightest bit of a shit. They're just hoping this wins them enough PR points to help keep the money flowing.

Reactions: daver

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Except it isn’t telling who not to hire. Since the league is paying for it, a team could add someone to its existing staff.
Which in itself is a good thing, but will they also force the team to take their hires seriously? It’s just a huge waste if they rot on a staff without any real input.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
So your thought is racism, and not the fact that they might have found someone better qualified? Look at Wayne Gretzky, one of the greatest if not the greatest hockey player ever, HORRIBLE coach. Same could be said for the multiple people that go through and play in the NFL, who says they are fit to be a good coach? There's more to being a coach than just knowledge of the position, etc.
I could name you 20 NHL players who became great coaches. What is your point?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Like I said, I don't think anything is actually being done here. The problem isn't getting minorities on staffs, it's them getting head coaching jobs. This is making everyone do something they already do.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Pretty naive to think the most qualified people are being hired now and in the past. Most NFL coaches load their staff with buddies, relatives, relatives of buddies, former coworkers etc.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My initial reaction was why on offense? They’re implying blacks are to stupid for offensive scheming and defense is for dumbies.
No. Not that. Majority of HC hires have been from the offensive side of the ball lately. Due to McVay. Guys like Lafleur, Taylor, O’Connell, Waldron have moved up in rank being associated with McVay. Same with Reid’s tree with Pederson, Nagy, etc.

Plenty of strong minority DC in Bowles, Frazier, and Morris who has coached both sides of the ball in recent years. But they haven’t landed another opportunity.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
No. Not that. Majority of HC hires have been from the offensive side of the ball lately. Due to McVay. Guys like Lafleur, Taylor, O’Connell, Waldron have moved up in rank being associated with McVay. Same with Reid’s tree with Pederson, Nagy, etc.

Plenty of strong minority DC in Bowles, Frazier, and Morris who has coached both sides of the ball in recent years. But they haven’t landed another opportunity.
Because those guys were bad as head coaches. Bowles flopped hard after initial success as the Jets head coach, Morris flopped and Flores was problematic at best.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I do think there's an issue with minorities and coaches.

Black coaches have it hard because they get hired less and the ones that do get hired have generally flopped. This leads to a confirmation bias of sorts. Since the amount of black/minority head coaches can generally be counted on one hand, there's less of them, which means when they go bust it's a lot more noticeable as opposed to the 26 or so white coaches in the league.

Let's just take a sample size. Let's say we have 5 coaches that are minorities. If 2 of those guys fail, that's a 40 percent clip. 2 coaches out of the 20+ white coaches fail? Negligible.

Minority coaches get hired less, which leads to less opportunity and more glaring failures. It's like a self defeating loop and the reason why stuff like the Rooney Rule exists.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Because those guys were bad as head coaches. Bowles flopped hard after initial success as the Jets head coach, Morris flopped and Flores was problematic at best.
All true. They did flop as did Dennis Allen who has another shot now with NO.

As a minority candidate how selective can you afford to be these days? But if you don’t strike while your status is hot your unit may have a down year and you get passed over later. Kris Richard was poised to follow Bradley and Quinn as DC for Seattle getting an opportunity. Even interviewed for AZ a few years ago. Since being let go from Seattle he hasn’t held a DC role. No HC prospects in the near future for him.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Except it isn’t telling who not to hire. Since the league is paying for it, a team could add someone to its existing staff.
Someone could = scapegoat should things go wrong.
No one ever questions who or why someone gets canned ,only why someone wasn't hired. Some HC wanted another year of gravy training so this dude gets wacked ,not his buddies on staff..
No good deed goes unpunished and there is always a loophole.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Someone could = scapegoat should things go wrong.
No one ever questions who or why someone gets canned ,only why someone wasn't hired. Some HC wanted another year of gravy training so this dude gets wacked ,not his buddies on staff..
No good deed goes unpunished and there is always a loophole.
Ok?

Pretty sure people been skirting that law against murder for years.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
This is getting a little ridiculous. What if the person isn't qualified? I'm all for doing something like this, but you are FORCING a team to hire someone that might not be qualified. We'll see what happens though.
Why do you believe there isn't enough qualified candidates that are minority?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
You're putting words into my mouth. The teams should be able to hire whoever they want, there shouldn't have to be a set quota put in place.
No I am not. Thats what you are implying. There are so few qualified candidates that some teams would be forced to hire unqualified candidates.

Also NFL is essentially a one single corporation. They are setting their own policy, which they are more than free to do as a corporation. No one is forcing them to do anything.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
No I am not. Thats what you are implying. There are so few qualified candidates that some teams would be forced to hire unqualified candidates.

Also NFL is essentially a one single corporation. They are setting their own policy, which they are more than free to do as a corporation. No one is forcing them to do anything.

Again, where was I saying that the NFL isn't ALLOWED to do something like this? I wasn't implying anything, just merely stating that it's kind of a joke that this actually needs to be implemented.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Again, where was I saying that the NFL isn't ALLOWED to do something like this? I wasn't implying anything, just merely stating that it's kind of a joke that this actually needs to be implemented.
"The teams should be able to hire whoever they want, there shouldn't have to be a set quota put in place."

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
This results in someone getting hired because of their race and someone not getting hired because of their race which is racist. This BS needs to stop.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
This results in someone getting hired because of their race and someone not getting hired because of their race which is racist. This BS needs to stop.
As I understand it, these are brand-new positions so these candidates are not strictly taking anyone else's job. They are new positions specifically created for the (intended) purpose of giving minority candidates additional representation and experience.

If they forced an existing employee out to make room for these candidates, I think you'd have a point. But my understanding is that no one is forced out due to this, so as long as the guys/girls brought in work well within the team dynamic I fail to see a problem.

Reactions: SirClintonPortis

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
As I understand it, these are brand-new positions so these candidates are not strictly taking anyone else's job. They are new positions specifically created for the (intended) purpose of giving minority candidates additional representation and experience.

If they forced an existing employee out to make room for these candidates, I think you'd have a point. But my understanding is that no one is forced out due to this, so as long as the guys/girls brought in work well within the team dynamic I fail to see a problem.

It doesn't matter if it is a new position. Telling someone need not apply for a job like that is bad just like in the past with Irish need not apply or Blacks need not apply for jobs was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad