NFL: NFL requiring all teams to have a minority on the offensive staff

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pretty strong admission by the league they have a diversity problem.
Coaching hires start at the bottom.

32 HC
96 QB/OC/DC coaches. Main group to get a new HC. How many minorities in this group? Like 30% give or take.
Then all of the position coaches under that. What percentage are minorities? And which side of the ball do they land on? As the nfl has been leaning way more to offensive HC hires these days.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
This is getting a little ridiculous. What if the person isn't qualified? I'm all for doing something like this, but you are FORCING a team to hire someone that might not be qualified. We'll see what happens though.
There's lots of qualified people that fit that description. It's ridiculous that the NHL has to mandate this.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I am operating from a position of ignorance here, but I'd be interested to see the numbers re: minority representation on the offensive side of the ball with respect to the defensive side. This rule implies the offensive representation in particular is much less than its defensive counterpart, and while I have no reason to call BS on that assertion, I would like to see hard evidence of such.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Seems like the power play by the "Diversity Committee" is going all according to plan.

Mara being one of the spearheads. Yes, he is on it. No, the media doesn't mention that fact even though it is right there to doxx him if they wanted to. Rooney is on there too, so that's a lot of power and prestige on that committee. Kim Pegula is on there too(and the NHL's inclusion committee as well)
Since Miami has been one of the humiliated teams despite doing a Rooney Rule hire, one can tell their move for Tyreek Hill might be more than just divisional hatred...some backroom vengeance against the Bills and Pats for that public humiliation motivated them to get the "BillKiller".

The Flores suit is just a "front" for the Diversity Committee to press the other owners to not resist these protocols or else suffer humiliation in the court of public opinion.

Not that a quota is a bad thing, but this is how they play the "game" in the back.

There has been a "Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship" in the league for years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
people up talking about this, but I don’t think this actually does anything

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am operating from a position of ignorance here, but I'd be interested to see the numbers re: minority representation on the offensive side of the ball with respect to the defensive side. This rule implies the offensive representation in particular is much less than its defensive counterpart, and while I have no reason to call BS on that assertion, I would like to see hard evidence of such.
It is because the trend in the nfl has been to hire offensive head coaches. Becoming an ever increasing QB league and you need to cater to them with an offensive HC.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This is getting a little ridiculous. What if the person isn't qualified? I'm all for doing something like this, but you are FORCING a team to hire someone that might not be qualified. We'll see what happens though.
About 70% of the players are Black. Pretty sure it would be easy to find minority coaches with the right qualifications.

I love how people always jump to that cop out every time a rule like that is put in place. "Well, what about their qualifications?" The problem is that qualified people are being ignored because of their origins/skin color. These rules are there to integrate those qualified people in the workplace.

Do they work? Not necessarily, but the problem here is not about taking job away from more qualified people.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
About 70% of the players are Black. Pretty sure it would be easy to find minority coaches with the right qualifications.

I love how people always jump to that cop out every time a rule like that is put in place. "Well, what about their qualifications?" The problem is that qualified people are being ignored because of their origins/skin color. These rules are there to integrate those qualified people in the workplace.

Do they work? Not necessarily, but the problem here is not about taking job away from more qualified people.

Why would we need this rule then if there are so many people qualified then that would fit this role?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Why would we need this rule then if there are so many people qualified then that would fit this role?
The answer could lead us on a slippery slope but... systemic racism. Not saying that people in the NFL are ACTIVELY racist, however, the system does not produce a lot of minority coaches when the majority of the players are Black. A lot of former players go into coaching and, yet, Black coaches have trouble getting good jobs. Is it because they ALL suck? No. There are systemic inequalities and those rules are designed to break those systemic inequalities.

Are they well-crafted? Not always. Do they work? Not always. Should there be incentives to have better representation? Yes.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
They aren’t telling you specifically who to hire, just telling you you have to hire someone and they’ll pay for it. If a team hires an unqualified person, that’s on the team, not the league.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They aren’t telling you specifically who to hire, just telling you you have to hire someone and they’ll pay for it. If a team hires an unqualified person, that’s on the team, not the league.
It’s basically telling you who not to hire in certain situations, though.

I’m not saying there isn’t a significant issue between the percentage of black players in the league versus amounts of black coaches, it’s clear there’s an issue. But the issue starts at the owner level, and nothing will really change until they decide to make better hires for their franchises instead of comfortable ones. This feels like them just laying responsibility at the feet of management and wiping their hands of it. We saw their true colors towards these issues in 2016-17.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It’s basically telling you who not to hire in certain situations, though.

I’m not saying there isn’t a significant issue between the percentage of black players in the league versus amounts of black coaches, it’s clear there’s an issue. But the issue starts at the owner level, and nothing will really change until they decide to make better hires for their franchises instead of comfortable ones. This feels like them just laying responsibility at the feet of management and wiping their hands of it. We saw their true colors towards these issues in 2016-17.
Except it isn’t telling who not to hire. Since the league is paying for it, a team could add someone to its existing staff.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Probably true.
Factor in that if you are a defensive HC like Buffalo and you just lost your OC. You have to keep replacing them as Allen continues to be great. But when you are McVay or Shanahan, you lose an OC you are still there with your QB. So it’s an advantage to be an offensive HC these days especially trying to become a first time one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00