NFL GDT: NFL GDT: Super Bowl LIII: (NFC) Los Angeles Rams vs (AFC) New England Patriots - Part 2

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well, it would've been, had the refs not mistakenly thought it was actually a pass attempt. ;)

I'm amazed it took twelve years for the rule to be abolished, to be honest. Pats got away with one there, for sure. But that's on the inept officiating, not anything untoward that New England might have done.

As for your point earlier about Atlanta, what I was saying was that the Pats were fortunate that Matt Ryan forgot how to run an offense in the second half, hence the comeback by Brady and co. :laugh:

Not that their comeback was flukey, but that the Falcons essentially choked away a huge lead. That is INCREDIBLY fortunate. For the Pats, anyways.

What annoys me about this "luck" talk is that it seems to be a ready-made excuse rather than a real argument. I could say that the Rams were lucky that Hogan forget how to get open last night. Or that the Giants got lucky Tyree held on to the ball. Reality is, the Giants put themselves in the position to have a chance to win at the end by containing Brady for most of the game.

The Pats had good luck and bad luck. Like any team. Good calls, bad calls. They overcame adversity many times, got beat many times. I have the impression your "luck" take is just a poor attempt to discredit the incredible accomplishments of the franchise.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
No, it's not comical because they used it in a rainy football game against the Ravens. You ever play football? Catching and holding a slightly deflated football is a lot easier than pumped up one. Ravens knew they cheated and tipped the Colts who spilled the beans. So the notion the game was a blowout and it doesn't matter is ridiculous. Not to mention their fumble stats compared to the league was comical.

Spygate.. They didn't know. Know big deal, right? How come McDaniels went to the Broncos as HC way after the fact and got popped for spying on teams like he learned in Tainted Town then runs back to Boston?

What about Jones running around a police station naked on drugs with Gronk? They fly Gronk out to make it look like he wasn't apart of it and was allowed to randomly miss playoff practices. Belicheat has cut players for missing practice during the regular season. Then come to find out oh no, Jones was on legal K2 so him and Gronk allowed to play in the playoffs.

Nothing but cheating, cover ups, and lies from this despicable franchise.
You are confused on what spygate was by the looks of it. Which is fine, since most people are and have never bothered to learn the truth.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I've been trying to think of good defensive games, because one argument I've seen that is a valid one is this was a defensive in the trenches game. I think a game that might be low scoring but having those big plays (Sacks, INTs, fumbles, was there even a fumble in this game?) would make for a good defensive game. It might not be high scoring, but things are happening and you don't have to rely on the kickers/punters. I think in terms of football, that was my issue with the game last night. There was too much punting going on and in a low scoring game, punting and fair catching is boring. Add in the commercials being crap and the Halftime show being crap, and it made for a really boring and disappointing night.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Congrats to the Pats on another Super Bowl win. Wasn't the most exciting game but the Patriots got the job done. Good for them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Feels so similar to the 2002 Superbowl. Really don't get why they didn't run more. Still feel awful no idea how long it's going to last :(
McVay had no answer for the Patriots D. Goff definitely missed his security blanket in Kupp. But they’ve been without him for 2 months now.

When the rams go a max of 5 plays before their first 8 punts that’s completely inexcusable.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
McVay had no answer for the Patriots D. Goff definitely missed his security blanket in Kupp. But they’ve been without him for 2 months now.

When the rams go a max of 5 plays before their first 8 punts that’s completely inexcusable.

Agreed. Kupp would have had an Edelman like effect in this game, I think. I was surprised how little they used Everett in the passing game, though. God I can't even imagine rewatching the game to get a more sober (literally) outlook. Might take me 4-5 months lol.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
1. Both teams played good defense, but the Patriots made a few extra plays that sealed the deal.

2. Applying pressure on Brady's offensive line & playing man to man coverage instead of zone works well against their overall offense, just like how most of the Super Bowl went.

3. Cooks dropped a key pass that would've been a touchdown & Goff's interception basically sealed the victory for New England.

4. That late hit on Goff out of bounds should've been called, along with a few other non-calls as well.

5. Even though the Patriots tied the Steelers record, they still won 6 SB's before them, so I guess that's the only argument that they have left.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Living in Atlanta and working at times in the service industry I have to say I’m glad this is over and hope the super bowl never comes back here again. This wasn’t anything like having a big convention in town. Many of these folks were largely rude and arrogant. I think that comes with many being media and or markedly wealthy. We don’t usually experience this with big conventions. Even those that bring in 50-75,000

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
How about that penalty... Making up rules live for the Patriots. Apparently now you need to give the receiver a few seconds after they catch the ball before you can hit them. That penalty gave the Patriots their only 3 points of the half.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You forgot we got a new rule last night. You have to let the receiver have a few seconds after he catches the ball before you can hit him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The defenseless receiver rule has been there for a while and is meant to avoid WR's getting destroyed in midair across middle of field

It was just poorly and incorrectly applied last night

Reactions: SouthGeorge

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
1. Both teams played good defense, but the Patriots made a few extra plays that sealed the deal.

2. Applying pressure on Brady's offensive line & playing man to man coverage instead of zone works well against their overall offense, just like how most of the Super Bowl went.

3. Cooks dropped a key pass that would've been a touchdown & Goff's interception basically sealed the victory for New England.

4. That late hit on Goff out of bounds should've been called, along with a few other non-calls as well.

5. Even though the Patriots tied the Steelers record, they still won 6 SB's before them, so I guess that's the only argument that they have left.

He was still in bounds when the contact happened.

Regular season it's probably called, but by the definition of the rule it was a good non-call.

Refs were fine last night for both sides. They let both teams get away with a lot of clutching and grabbing in the secondary, and frankly as a fan, I'm totally okay with that. There was nothing egregious that was/wasn't called.

The penalty on Robey-Coleman was iffy, but Burkhead hadn't established himself as a runner yet, so I understand the call.

Holding on Gilmore late in the game was garbage, as they'd let that go all game.

Goff should've probably been called for ground in the end zone for a Patriots safety, but again, I can understand not calling it, it was a 50/50 decision.

Patriots gameplan offensively sucked. Rams D did a good job overall disrupting that, but aside from a few drives, they were poor. Tried forcing it to Hogan far too much, when it was clear he was getting zero separation.

I cannot stress enough how poorly Goff played in this game though. Get on Cooks for dropping that ball in double coverage right before the INT all you want, he probably should catch it, but Goff was abyssmal at reading the play in this game. He was late on pretty much every throw. Plenty of times Woods/Cooks run out of the stack formation and one of them was open, but Goff waits too long to throw it.

Defense on both sides were great, Brady and Co did just enough to seal it.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The defenseless receiver rule has been there for a while and is meant to avoid WR's getting destroyed in midair across middle of field

It was just poorly and incorrectly applied last night

Coincidence these rules are always poorly and incorrectly applied in the Patriots favor? Two horrible calls in their favor swayed the outcome. But Goodell hates them LOL After the worst ratings in a decade they are going to see real hate.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Coincidence these rules are always poorly and incorrectly applied in the Patriots favor? Two horrible calls in their favor swayed the outcome. But Goodell hates them LOL After the worst ratings in a decade they are going to see real hate.

Everyone has bad call some point go against team they cheer for

To claim its some plot by Goodell and NFL is absurd

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How about that penalty... Making up rules live for the Patriots. Apparently now you need to give the receiver a few seconds after they catch the ball before you can hit them. That penalty gave the Patriots their only 3 points of the half.
I think the Pats missed the FG on that drive. I know the call you are referring to. It wasn’t like burkhead was running a route, as I think the rams got pressure and Brady found his outlet, don’t think it was a called screen pass. That tackle would have made it 3rd and 19. With the rams likely getting off the field and getting the ball back around their 35.

Didn’t like the call. Again because he wasn’t running a route. Just standing in the backfield shouldn’t give a RB the same protection as a receiver past the line of scrimmage.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I think the Pats missed the FG on that drive. I know the call you are referring to. It wasn’t like burkhead was running a route, as I think the rams got pressure and Brady found his outlet, don’t think it was a called screen pass. That tackle would have made it 3rd and 19. With the rams likely getting off the field and getting the ball back around their 35.

Didn’t like the call. Again because he wasn’t running a route. Just standing in the backfield shouldn’t give a RB the same protection as a receiver past the line of scrimmage.

Bad calls aren't as bad if they lead to missed points or they don't have a huge role on the game

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

No, they made the FG. All their points came off bad calls. Then the phantom hold on the Rams when they were driving/getting momentum. Ran for 10 and inside Pats 40. Romo rolled it back and said it was a horrible call. Then Goof gets sacked, horrible punt, Pats with good field position, and they go down and score 7 and basically seal the game. Refs had their hands on all the Pats points.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No, they made the FG. All their points came off bad calls. Then the phantom hold on the Rams when they were driving/getting momentum. Ran for 10 and inside Pats 40. Romo rolled it back and said it was a horrible call. Then Goof gets sacked, horrible punt, Pats with good field position, and they go down and score 7 and basically seal the game. Refs had their hands on all the Pats points.
No. Just looked it up. Call was made in the Patriots second possession which was the missed FG.

But still it would have taken the rams D off the field in all likelihood and not had them out there for an extra 3 minutes or so. Doubt the rams O would have done much.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
That was worse than Denver-Carolina, that’s pretty much all I have to say.

We’ve been pretty spoiled with good Super Bowls the last 15 years or so.

There was a stretch for many years - certainly when I started watching football, and probably in the years preceding - where the eternal question was why the game way more often than not was a complete dud.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Re: 3, that was a great hustle play by J. McCourty. You could argue that Cooks still should’ve held on, but more than anything it was a terrible ball by Goff. Cooks was wide open, Goff zips it to him and it’s an easy 6.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
No, it's not comical because they used it in a rainy football game against the Ravens. You ever play football? Catching and holding a slightly deflated football is a lot easier than pumped up one. Ravens knew they cheated and tipped the Colts who spilled the beans. So the notion the game was a blowout and it doesn't matter is ridiculous. Not to mention their fumble stats compared to the league was comical.

Spygate.. They didn't know. Know big deal, right? How come McDaniels went to the Broncos as HC way after the fact and got popped for spying on teams like he learned in Tainted Town then runs back to Boston?

What about Jones running around a police station naked on drugs with Gronk? They fly Gronk out to make it look like he wasn't apart of it and was allowed to randomly miss playoff practices. Belicheat has cut players for missing practice during the regular season. Then come to find out oh no, Jones was on legal K2 so him and Gronk allowed to play in the playoffs.

Nothing but cheating, cover ups, and lies from this despicable franchise.

Lotta ****ing good that did the Broncos.

Then the last bit also doesn't mean ****. Hey, guess what? Star players are allowed to goof off/are afforded privileges because of their status. It's why guys like Michael Irvin were allowed to sleep in film study and lesser players are cut for the same thing. Doesn't make it some evil Patriot conspiracy.

It's all nonsense. Now if you can excuse me, i'm going to throw up for defending the evil empire.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I bet Josh Gordon wishes he kicked the habit sooner.

Like most addiction issues, it sounds like JG's problems are much deeper mental health issues underlying the addiction part.

It's frustrating, no doubt. Guy has more athletic talent in his pinkie than 99.9% have in their entire body, not to mention unrivalled access to mental health support that most people could only dream of. All going to waste. You can lead a horse to water...it's such a damn shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad