NFL: NFC Playoff Picture

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Redskins can clinch the last wild card spot with a lions loss Monday at Cowboys and a skins win next week over Giants

Or

If lions beat Cowboys Monday night then a skins win over Giants and a lions win over packers gets them in

Detroit has the tiebreaker over Washington. Therefore, Washington needs to beat NY Sunday and have Detroit drop their final two games. Which is certainly possible.

Even so, if Detroit manages to beat Dallas Monday, they're officially in due to Tampa Bay losing.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Detroit has the tiebreaker over Washington. Therefore, Washington needs to beat NY Sunday and have Detroit drop their final two games. Which is certainly possible.

Even so, if Detroit manages to beat Dallas Monday, they're officially in due to Tampa Bay losing.

Except Washington has the tie which benefits them

That would make Washington 9-6-1

And either Green Bay or Detroit 9-7 if Detroit loses to Dallas

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Regarding Detroit, the only way Washington can clinch is by beating NY and having Detroit lose their next two games.

Regarding Green Bay, Washington needs to win and have the Packers lose.

So, basically, if you're a Washington fan, you're rooting for Dallas on Monday.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Cowboys better pray the 6th seed upsets.

Hasnt only one team ever gone 3-0 against a divisional opponent in a season? Its like the most unknown stat in sports that divisional opponents who are 2-0 almost always lose that 3rd game in the postseason

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I want nothing to do with the Giants.

The only team I would give them zero shot against in the WC game is Seattle and that's just because of that stadium and that team just turns it up in January. Fortunately for the Giants it's remote that they draw Seattle because it would require Seattle losing next week or Detroit going 2-0. I don't see either happening

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hasnt only one team ever gone 3-0 against a divisional opponent in a season? Its like the most unknown stat in sports that divisional opponents who are 2-0 almost always lose that 3rd game in the postseason

I'm pretty sure the Titans went 3-0 against the Jaguars when they made the Super Bowl. I'm pretty sure those were the Jags' only losses that year.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

No, because both the Giants and Cowboys went 3-0 against the Eagles this century. The Stillers also beat the Ravens 3 times when they won the Superbowl.

Oct 18, 2011
i don't care *that* much who dallas plays, i am just wanting them to get thru the last 2 weeks healthy but also keeping good momentum, the defense has been playing a lot better which not many have noticed imo.

the NFC is wide open, every team has problems. i don't know what the hell to make of seattle anymore

i honestly think Atlanta the worst matchup, because they could put them down 21-3 or something in the first Q and make the cowboys very 1 dimensional, the way they can score is a problem

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This week has removed the possibility for TB/GB to tie on both SOV and SOS. TB's only route to the playoffs now includes a Redskins tie, twice in 1 year now with the Panthers needing a Redskins tie in their scenario before they were eliminated today.

TB can possible gain SOV over GB by 1 win, however this scenario involves a Giants loss(GB beat them) but that means a Redskins win which puts the Skins in the playoffs at 9-6-1 if TB/GB tie at 9-7. If the Giants win then at best TB can do is a SOV tie and GB would have SOS at that point. SO TB needs a tie in that game which would give TB the SOV by half a game over. Washington would be in the tie at 9-7 with a 8-6-2 record, but would be eliminated on conference record first.

TB's playoff scenario: KC win(week 16), DAL win(week 16), WAS tie, HOU loss, TB win, GB loss, JAX loss, PHI loss, SF win

9 results including a tie. Which was the same as the Panthers entering this week except the Panthers had leeway into WAS could tie either game, so these odds should be worse

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the Lions win tomorrow and next week, and Minnesota beats Chicago, and LA beats Arizona, Detroit would win the SOS tie breaker with Atlanta

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
so if washington wins vs giants next week they are in (unless green bay and detroit tie)

if washington does win then winner of packers/lions wins division. loser is eliminated

if washington loses to giants both packers and lions clinch and that game decides division winner

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Green Bay now in No. 4 Spot and Seattle in No. 3 now.

The only near guarantee is Seattle winning at San Fran making them 10-5-1. They would then need Atlanta to lose to get the 2nd bye. Green Bay has the tie with Atlanta, so if they win and get the Atlanta loss ATL drops all the way to 4th assuming Seattle wins. On paper the most likely situation is Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, Green Bay/Detroit as your top 4.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Who has a tiebreaker between Detroit and Atlanta if they both finished 10-6? I'm aware Green Bay beat Atlanta so they have the tiebreaker, but Atlanta/Detroit would both be 8-4 in the conference if they lose and win respectively this weekend.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
TB needs a tie from the Skins and then they need a bunch of other games to go their way to beat the Packers out in strength of victory: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...ne-crazy-way-the-buccaneers-can-still-get-in/

The craziest one is SF needing to beat SEA.

Who has a tiebreaker between Detroit and Atlanta if they both finished 10-6? I'm aware Green Bay beat Atlanta so they have the tiebreaker, but Atlanta/Detroit would both be 8-4 in the conference if they lose and win respectively this weekend.

Detroit. Better common games record (both teams played NO, PHI, LA and GB - DET would be 4-1 against those teams, ATL would be 3-2)

Mad Brills*

If the redskins lose, both the lions and packers clinch spots in the playoffs, and it'll be like last year's week 17 where the snf game is for the division/seeding instead of the higher stakes win or go home, which if the redskins win, it will be.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Detroit is a dead team walking with their injury situation. I don't particularly care for the Redskins, but I hope they make it just for entertainment purposes. Here's how I think it goes:

Packers over Giants
Seahawks over Redskins

Cowboys over Packers
Falcons over Seahawks (that should be a good one)

Cowboys over Falcons

Patriots defeat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl in a game America will love to hate.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Must be nice to have that tie for the Redskins. Don't have to worry about any of the tie breakers.

Meanwhile, that tie the Seahawks had is obviously a loss, or else they've control their destiny to a bye since they beat Atlanta. Of course, they could've won the game they actually lost, too.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Detroit is a dead team walking with their injury situation. I don't particularly care for the Redskins, but I hope they make it just for entertainment purposes. Here's how I think it goes:

Packers over Giants
Seahawks over Redskins

Cowboys over Packers
Falcons over Seahawks (that should be a good one)

Cowboys over Falcons

Patriots defeat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl in a game America will love to hate.

I don't trust the Cowboys at all with the rookie QB/RB situation. It looks like they likely get Green Bay or NYG in their first game and I think both would have a great shot at beating them. It probably does not matter who comes out of the NFC. I'd be surprised if anyone out of there beat New England. Call me crazy but the Giants I think would have the best shot.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think they might in trouble if they run into the Giants as the Giants always play them hard and close.

Green Bay though? Meh. Their defense still sucks. I think Zeke pounds that defense into the ground if they were to meet.

Assuming the seeding falls correctly, i think it comes down to the Giants and Cowboys for the NFC title.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad